LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

obd1, 4l60e/high stall, fix works

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 09:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default obd1, 4l60e/high stall, fix works

After having this problem with my car not shifting after a hard launch for a couple years, and after having Ed Wright try one of his fixes, unsuccessfully, I finally said screw the 4l60e tranny and went the 700R4 route. Things didn't work out too well with the 700. Yeah, I was able to launch without having to worry about the 1-2 shift but the 2-3 was giving me problems, and driveability just plain sucked. This was consuming too much time trying to get dialed in. I got fed up, and after hearing that there was now a fix for the 4l60e gremlins, decided to give it another try.

I had a 4l60e built and installed and had Jeff(Grannyshifting) try the computer fix, that had worked in another lt1, in my car. When he first pulled up my file, he found that codes had been changed that should've helped with the problem but not all that should've been done. He changed a couple more numbers in the tables and the rest is history.

1.57 60' with no shifting problems. Before, anything below a 1.67 would've sent the car into limp home mode. I'm happy as can be that this is now taken care of. Now my driveability is back to where it should be. And I no longer have to worry about how hard this car launches.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very cool. glad you were able to get it figured out
Old 11-30-2004, 11:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Dave when was the last time Ed tuned your car?

I am running a year old EW tune and it works just fine. I have tested it on two cars myself. Both having the issue and going pretty fast. Last time out the bird clocked a 1.3x 60ft time on its way to a deep ten second run. I also Know a few of the cars at the Thunder shoot out were running it also on the way to low ten second passes

Ed did not come up with this fix till around Jul/Aug last year. Turns out the problem was not the shift tables but the stall delta All the fixes i have seen are using his fix.

Any way Man Glad it is up and running!
Old 11-30-2004, 11:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Dave when was the last time Ed tuned your car?

I am running a year old EW tune and it works just fine. I have tested it on two cars myself. Both having the issue and going pretty fast. Last time out the bird clocked a 1.3x 60ft time on its way to a deep ten second run. I also Know a few of the cars at the Thunder shoot out were running it also on the way to low ten second passes

Ed did not come up with this fix till around Jul/Aug last year. Turns out the problem was not the shift tables but the stall delta All the fixes i have seen are using his fix.

Any way Man Glad it is up and running!
Ed did the tune almost 2 years ago. It looks like he may have missed a couple minor details in the tables, very costly details. I spent a bit on that 700R4 and now this 4l60e. But I do understand if he didn't know about them at the time. I'm truly thankful that someone did finally come up with the fix though.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I hear you. i spent over $2,000 on parts from broken transmission on this search. Ed was the only person who would help

BTW I build Transmission for a living so spending That kind of money was alot of parts

Quick Reply: obd1, 4l60e/high stall, fix works