LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

suggestions for Lt1 rebuild w/supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default suggestions for Lt1 rebuild w/supercharger?

Ok, read all the threads I could, still couldn't get the specifics I was looking for, soooo.......

I installed an ATI SC on my stock 95 Lt1 TA. Added #42 Lucas injectors, Aeromotive regulator, and tried to tune it myself with Tunercat and a data logger......BIG MISTAKE......I blew a head gasket while I was trying to dial it in.

Anyway, in true motorhead fashion, perfect excuse for a REBUILD!!

Now, before anyone starts, I will get it tuned after the rebuild by a professional this time. (although any suggestions on a web location for a similar .bin file set up for this application would be appreciated!!)

But, to the rebuild -

I will be running about 7 lbs of boost (4.5 lbs before the blow out, have since bought new pulley). I am also installing a set of edelbrock shortie headers, LT4 valve springs, and 1.6 roller rockers.

I would like to make about 425-450 dependable horsepower and similar torque numbers (maybe slightly higher).

I am looking for suggestions on how I should rebuild. I am on a budget -- would like to keep the rebuild cost under 1k.

So:

New Cam? What?
New Pistons? What brand, what compression?
New rods? Is this required??
Head work? New valves required? What size?
Any specific rings you recommend with a supercharged application?
Any special head gaskets? (I have heard the felpro copper ringed gaskets are great??). Should I change thickness to lower the compression?
Any specific bearings anyone swears by?
Anything else I am missing?? Please help.......

Last edited by real82it; 12-06-2004 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:36 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Far as the rods go, repolish the stockers, put in some good rod bolts and they should last at the power your planning to make. Its the pistons that generaly what fail, SRP makes some good ones a lot of pople run. You should try and go after a 9:1, be very good for the street. Far as cam, Comp has a couple blower grinds a lot of people use. Try to put some LTs in that car, make better power.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

ok guys --- any other suggestions??? what about good locations for .bin files - I am using tuner cat...would like a good place for the tuner guy to start...
Old 12-07-2004, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

forged pistons for sure. id actually go higher compression than 9:1 if your only planning 7lbs of boost. but you wont be able to go much higher without redoing the bottom end again. get studs for the mains for added strength and less cost over four bolting it. balance the engine for sure. a small cam like even the Lt4 hotcam would help. i wouldnt go much bigger. oh and your going to spend more than 1k if you want to do this correctly.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:05 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hot cam is cut at 112, theres small blower cams out there better suited for boost than a hot cam.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:36 AM
TECH Regular

I have a similar situation-blew a head gasket on the way to Autorama this past weekend and will be doing a rebuild over X-mas. I immediately shut the car down when I noticed my car smoking like James Bond(smile). This time around I plan on putting a mls head gaskets(does anyone recommend a certain type). Will most likely go with the .67 thickness. Also is there anything else I should do besides just sticking in new head gaskets(I didn't let the car run long enough to get hot etc. so I feel like I didnt do any damage to the motor). I also had previously built the bottom end with forged rods,JE pistons,etc. so I feel confident it's fine the only problem is I went cheap on the gaskets-let that be a lesson...
Old 01-17-2005, 09:17 PM
Launching!

9:1 for only 7lbs of boost?? JE pistons,forged rods w/arp bolts,polished crank..nice setup. with good tune and cam should see 400-440whp.

Quick Reply: suggestions for Lt1 rebuild w/supercharger?