LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT4 Hotcam kit on 97z?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 252 Likes on 176 Posts

Well, if your'e looking to put alot of miles on this setup, the GM aluminum roller rockers are not well-known for their longevity. You could buy the kit, invest in the Comp pro-magnums and sell the GM's on ebay. That way, you have all the components you need. Just an idea, But I had seen a few aluminums go south. Fortunately, mine are still holding up with over 45,000 mi on them. But when they go, a new motor will be going in.
Old 12-24-2004, 03:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a different story. If you never plan on touching your heads, I wouldn't go any larger than a 224/230 or a 227/233. Some would even say a 230/236. You could always go with a larger cam with 1.5 rockers instead of 1.6 and play it safe. Once you've researched enough, thats that all the guys putting up big #'s are doing.

As for the 847 on stock heads, its definitely pushing the heads past their max, but you can't really argue with those running 11's with it.
Old 12-24-2004, 07:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy hell of alot of miles per year , was that a mis-type?? Dam I put 6-7 k on my car per year and want to reduce that! Why not get a beater for all the long hauls? No sense in building a car that will need rebuilds every two years!
Old 12-27-2004, 04:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run the Hot cam in my TA and am very happy with it. I did the heads too. Sounds like this kit would be perfect for your budget. There is always someone faster and you can always go with a bigger cam. If you want a little more punch this sounds like a plan to me. With the Hot cam and exauhst you should be able to get around 320rwhp. Good luck.

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
I'm running kind of tight on money even afte selling the ws6 with christmas and all, I have about 700 to play with. We own a shop and get gm parts at dealer cost and I can pickup the hotcam kit for 425 and have it in a couple of days. Heads are not in the near future. Emissions does not matter. I am looking for a little more punch and I need something I can drive 50 to 55k a year and not have to worry about anything execpt maintenace. Maybe by next summer I can swing some aftermarket heads. I figured lt1 edit is possibly the best option for tuning.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am running the comp cams 224-230. It is a good cam with unported heads, even though i am porting soon. I think it is nowhere near extreme. The cam makes power starting at 2k. They do recommend a stall if you have auto + headers + intake.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:02 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
With me having no experience with the edit program would I be better off with a tune from pcm for less. Were you impressed with the cam swap afterwards.
The hotcam is not the biggest or best cam you can get but its a good performing package for the money. If you go with it I would definitely recommend having Bryan at PCMforless tune it. He's had a lot of experience with tuning that cam and really knows his ****. With bone stock heads I must say I've been pretty impressed with it. After getting the 12 bolt recently and some of the new M/T et drag radials, I will be hitting 11's with it the next time out, oh yes, I will I know it can do it, I just havent tried launching it hard enough
Old 12-29-2004, 11:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

50k a year!!! Wow thats alot of driving. Man get a ricer for all those miles..LOL
Old 12-29-2004, 11:52 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by slowmofo
50k a year!!! Wow thats alot of driving. Man get a ricer for all those miles..LOL
I just noticed that too, holy crap thats a lot of driving. I wouldnt have done any cam in mine if I drove that many miles per year. Maybe a couple boltons but certainly not a cam. Seriously, get a nice cheap Honda or Toyota or something for a daily driver to keep all those miles of your LT1. Think of the gas savings alone, thats nuts. Hell I would seriously consider driving one of the little hybrid cars if I drove that much a year.

Quick Reply: LT4 Hotcam kit on 97z?