LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

You F-body guys get to be jealous. Well for the time being.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 12:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm highly interested this set-up. (M90) Does anyone know the biggest Eaton blower put on a production vehicle?

Any new updates........

Johnny
Old 01-13-2005, 12:58 AM
TECH Addict

He had a lot of trans issues at the track on sunday. He's using a 200r4 out of one of his turbo buicks and he had a hard time getting it to shift above 4000rpm and into 3 and 4th gear. He did manage a 1.6 60' and a 13.0 @92 mph rolling through the lights.

He said he's going back once he resolves his trans issue.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:39 AM
TECH Addict

looks kinda small. go big i say 8-71 would be nice

and yeah the 200-4r is sometimes a fickled mistress
Old 01-25-2005, 01:49 AM
Teching In

Any new updates from MPE?

Johnny
Old 01-25-2005, 01:52 AM
Teching In

I would rather have some depenedable horsepower

edit: dependable horsepower
Old 01-31-2005, 08:19 AM
Teching In

What are you talking about Eaton/Twin Screw blowers are one the most depenable/reputable blowers available, even so that they have warranty back by major automakers. (Cobras, lighning trucks)

Johnny
Old 01-31-2005, 08:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think he is refering too the lack of hard data on output in this application from MPE. If I had not bought a wagon I would have likely bought this setup for my Caprice.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

Well give Keith some time and he'll surely have the car dynoed. It's Keith Mease. It takes him awhile to get things done.
Matt
Old 02-01-2005, 11:31 PM
TECH Addict

It seems someone has finally gotten a dyno on a impala w/ the kit installed.

His beginning specs:
The particulars:
1996 Impala SS, 130,000 on stock motor, 1.6 roller rockers, 3" exhaust, 2200 stall Precision torque converter, Bryan Herter programming, Last dyno run 12/11/04 252.14 RWHP - 257.48 Max torque

They loaded a very rich "generic" program from BH and adjusted a few things.

On the dyno w/ BH tuning they ran some test runs adjusting timing, etc.

third pull for the numbers: 310.8 RWHP - 438.8 Max Torque. (commented it was Still really rich)

Hp is not that high but the car owner commented that Obvious ring sealing failure has already occurred due to original OEM injector failure. The output, especially the torque is not bad, but I myself am waiting for someone w/ a FI prepared motor to have a go with it..

Matt
Old 05-04-2005, 09:20 AM
Teching In

when i get some extra money i'll be using the whipple twin screw SC and making a mounting plate to fit on a stock lt1 intake manifold...or figiting with the mounting plate to fit on the stock heads. i've been taking a lot of flack on some of the other websites because i've been asking questions and all, but i think most on this post are interested in what's going on here.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:14 PM
Teching In

the eaton design on the cobras and lightning were roots blowers and nowhere near as good as a twin screw design. you would have more power at the same psi with a twin screw. you can find 03-04 cobra stock blowers pretty cheap since most people don't want them.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by buffman

His beginning specs:
The particulars:
1996 Impala SS, 130,000 on stock motor, 1.6 roller rockers, 3" exhaust, 2200 stall Precision torque converter, Bryan Herter programming, Last dyno run 12/11/04 252.14 RWHP - 257.48 Max torque

third pull for the numbers: 310.8 RWHP - 438.8 Max Torque. (commented it was Still really rich)

Hp is not that high but the car owner commented that Obvious ring sealing failure has already occurred due to original OEM injector failure. The output, especially the torque is not bad, but I myself am waiting for someone w/ a FI prepared motor to have a go with it..

Matt
who exactly said that roots type blowers are more iffecient on fbodys? 310rwhp could be achived with bolt ons. What is this a joke? Sorry guys i know its not comment but no one has proved a roots type blower to make more power untill they do, rock on centr. Lt1s have gone 8s on centr. blowers already and roots type blowers are light years behind right now.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Centrifugal blowers have a lag similar to turbos, they are popular because they easily fit under the hood of a very cramped engine bay. A roots type blower is instant, soon as you crack the throttle it's there. Don't look at the horsepower, look at the torgue number, I bet if you could see a dyno sheet on this car the torgue would be pretty flat with big numbers from around 2000 on up, depending on how it's setup. I'd love to have 400+ ft lbs from just off idle on up to say 6000, that's what a roots type blower does depending on the setup. They are the ultimate street machine, mega power down low without the lopey shake yer teeth out idle. There's just no room in a damn F Body.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

His beginning specs:
The particulars:

Matt
I believe Ive seen the car and talked to the owner of the car youre referring to. Its a very nice setup.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LittleRedZ
who exactly said that roots type blowers are more iffecient on fbodys? 310rwhp could be achived with bolt ons. What is this a joke? Sorry guys i know its not comment but no one has proved a roots type blower to make more power untill they do, rock on centr. Lt1s have gone 8s on centr. blowers already and roots type blowers are light years behind right now.

I didn't claim there were more efficient than the other. It was on an Impala if you cared to read the post. And as to why 310RWHP the reason was given above. The tq #s show a very nice gain.

Matt
Old 05-04-2005, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by brandboZ28
I believe Ive seen the car and talked to the owner of the car youre referring to. Its a very nice setup.

yeah he's from GA. I believe his name is Gene Zebley

Matt
Old 05-05-2005, 08:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn't claim there were more efficient than the other. It was on an Impala if you cared to read the post. And as to why 310RWHP the reason was given above. The tq #s show a very nice gain.

Matt
i'm cerious as too see what that car runs LOL,
400tourqe is def nice and will get you out of the whole but after 1/8 that car is going to fall on its face. Id like to see how that impala stacks up against just a ported head/joe o cam impala that went 12.50@109mph.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by speedluv
Centrifugal blowers have a lag similar to turbos, they are popular because they easily fit under the hood of a very cramped engine bay. A roots type blower is instant, soon as you crack the throttle it's there. Don't look at the horsepower, look at the torgue number, I bet if you could see a dyno sheet on this car the torgue would be pretty flat with big numbers from around 2000 on up, depending on how it's setup. I'd love to have 400+ ft lbs from just off idle on up to say 6000, that's what a roots type blower does depending on the setup. They are the ultimate street machine, mega power down low without the lopey shake yer teeth out idle. There's just no room in a damn F Body.
thats all nice and dandy but no one is using them not because of clearance issues they are just not impressive for the size. You would have to strap on a freaking 10-71 to make up for a lets say procharger f1 flows around 1600cfm i belive, look at ronnie duke they are running a F2R that flows close to 3000cfm so what kind of roots type blower would you put on that car? Is it the kind that sticks 2 feet pass the roof line?
Old 05-05-2005, 12:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not sure if any of you guys have seen this over here or if it's a repost (sorry if it is) but have you guys seen the finished project of the first ever (well to my knowledge) twin screw blower setup for the LT1?
Isnt that just an eaton roots charger? Thast different then a screw charger.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

eaton, screw type charger soposed to work the same as Centr. blowers but yes they are better at low end tourque, but being unneficient they run out of breathvscentrs blowers which keeps making tourqe and hp and trq the higher you take it.
My car peaks hp at around 6500-6700rpm, while tourqe peaks at 5k which isnt bad i guess for centr blower. Either way you look at it, if you drag race you pull up to the line (auto trans) leave at 3500 or 4k you are at almost your peak tourque already, as you get up in the rpm the car keeps pulling hard(compared to eaton type where if you would of come off that rpm it feels like a flat all motor power band) once you in full boost you stay there throughout your whole run. But probably if you talking driving around town and playing around yeah the eaton kind blower would (feel) like it has more power.

Quick Reply: You F-body guys get to be jealous. Well for the time being.