LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

You F-body guys get to be jealous. Well for the time being.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RealQuick
Isnt that just an eaton roots charger? Thast different then a screw charger.

yeah I stand corrected. Keith was loosely using the term twin screw blower, but yeah it's an eaton roots blower off of a lightning.
Matt
Old 05-06-2005, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LittleRedZ
thats all nice and dandy but no one is using them not because of clearance issues they are just not impressive for the size. You would have to strap on a freaking 10-71 to make up for a lets say procharger f1 flows around 1600cfm i belive, look at ronnie duke they are running a F2R that flows close to 3000cfm so what kind of roots type blower would you put on that car? Is it the kind that sticks 2 feet pass the roof line?
I'm talking street cars here by the way. I want my boost a minute ago not a minute from now. You keep yer lagging boost and I'll keep my instant boost and you can watch my tail lights fade from the traffic light. More efficient? Yeah as far as the heat they generate and the leakage but like I said I want my boost right now and I don't have to spin the supercharger to God knows how fast before I get my boost. And twin screw blowers are more efficient than centrifugal. Whipple makes a twin screw that flows .812 cfm per rev, do the math, that equals serious lowend grunt. That's not a big blower physically either.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by speedluv
I'm talking street cars here by the way. I want my boost a minute ago not a minute from now. You keep yer lagging boost and I'll keep my instant boost and you can watch my tail lights fade from the traffic light. More efficient? Yeah as far as the heat they generate and the leakage but like I said I want my boost right now and I don't have to spin the supercharger to God knows how fast before I get my boost. And twin screw blowers are more efficient than centrifugal. Whipple makes a twin screw that flows .812 cfm per rev, do the math, that equals serious lowend grunt. That's not a big blower physically either.
lol me whatch your tail lights One day if you decide to come back down here from your day dreams.
IF you street race it is the same thing i will get up to rpm so quick you wouldnt even know it. thats why turbo are more efficient then any s/c cuz theres no belt but the idea is the same. I'll tell you what you grab your twin screw and spin that shaft with your hand, after you do that try doing the same wiht centr. Dont give the the .812 per rev no one is rating anything like that what is the total cfm that blower puts out and how big is it?

But on the other note whenever you get that thing on your car just let me know and we can do a reality check and see whos blower is more efficient.
You can keep your 310rwhp at 2000rpm and leave whatever rpm you want, but i'm not sure if you ever heard of trans brake, i'll keep my blower that makes twice that amount at around 4500 and use my Trans brake on ya
Old 05-06-2005, 08:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

812 cfm? A T-trim will push 1100cfm no problem. Off idle torque is awesome, but doesnt play too big a role in a race once you get out of 1st gear. It may not play any role if the centrifugal S/C car launches at high rpm like Littleredz said. A gentelman on turbomustang.com said his customer swapped an 8-71 blower off his car in favor of a Vortech YSI. He gained ~.6 and 6mph over the 8-71 blower at the track. Centrifugal = faster car in that case.

If you running street light to street light (up to 60mph then yeah the roots and screw are great). A properly launched centrif. car will not have a boosting problems. Now if they launch at idle, then roots/screw car will get a big jump off the line. You also need to compare similarly sized chargers. You cant comapre an 8-71 to an S trim.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

812 cfm? A T-trim will push 1100cfm no problem. Off idle torque is awesome, but doesnt play too big a role in a race once you get out of 1st gear. It may not play any role if the centrifugal S/C car launches at high rpm like Littleredz said. A gentelman on turbomustang.com said his customer swapped an 8-71 blower off his car in favor of a Vortech YSI. He gained ~.6 and 6mph over the 8-71 blower at the track. Centrifugal = faster car in that case.

If you running street light to street light (up to 60mph then yeah the roots and screw are great). A properly launched centrif. car will not have a boosting problems. Now if they launch at idle, then roots/screw car will get a big jump off the line. You also need to compare similarly sized chargers. You cant comapre an 8-71 to an S trim.
god damn finally thank you
Old 05-06-2005, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LittleRedZ
lol me whatch your tail lights One day if you decide to come back down here from your day dreams.
IF you street race it is the same thing i will get up to rpm so quick you wouldnt even know it. thats why turbo are more efficient then any s/c cuz theres no belt but the idea is the same. I'll tell you what you grab your twin screw and spin that shaft with your hand, after you do that try doing the same wiht centr. Dont give the the .812 per rev no one is rating anything like that what is the total cfm that blower puts out and how big is it?

But on the other note whenever you get that thing on your car just let me know and we can do a reality check and see whos blower is more efficient.
You can keep your 310rwhp at 2000rpm and leave whatever rpm you want, but i'm not sure if you ever heard of trans brake, i'll keep my blower that makes twice that amount at around 4500 and use my Trans brake on ya
First off, learn how to spell and use proper punctuation. You sound like a retard. Secondly, he was just posting some info about a roots blown lt1, and you jump on him with all this mumbo jumbo? You sir are a child and need to grow the **** up.

BTW, roots blowers/twin screws ARE more efficient in the lower-mid range and arent far off of centrifigals in the upper rpms. and he said .812 cfm per rev not 812 cfm total, you ******* tool.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
First off, learn how to spell and use proper punctuation. You sound like a retard. Secondly, he was just posting some info about a roots blown lt1, and you jump on him with all this mumbo jumbo? You sir are a child and need to grow the **** up.

BTW, roots blowers/twin screws ARE more efficient in the lower-mid range and arent far off of centrifigals in the upper rpms. and he said .812 cfm per rev not 812 cfm total, you ******* tool.

Its funny you criticize littleredz when he running is fast and making good power with a centrifugal and speedluv says:

"I'm talking street cars here by the way. I want my boost a minute ago not a minute from now. You keep yer lagging boost and I'll keep my instant boost and you can watch my tail lights fade from the traffic light."

812cfm per rev is correct, not .812 cfm per rev. What the hell are you talking about?
Old 05-06-2005, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its funny you criticize littleredz when he running is fast and making good power with a centrifugal and speedluv says:

"I'm talking street cars here by the way. I want my boost a minute ago not a minute from now. You keep yer lagging boost and I'll keep my instant boost and you can watch my tail lights fade from the traffic light."

812cfm per rev is correct, not .812 cfm per rev. What the hell are you talking about?
To each their own on the street issue, but as far as littelredz goes... everytime i've ever seen him post, its nothing but critique's and plain BS. as far as the cfm, i was wrong my bad
Old 05-06-2005, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

To each their own on the street issue, but as far as littelredz goes... everytime i've ever seen him post, its nothing but critique's and plain BS. as far as the cfm, i was wrong my bad
there is no critique, i admire the guy putting that blower on his car and doing something different, but lets not get carried away and say that those blowers are more efficeint thats all. Btw where else did you see me post and say something in that matter, beside this thread? I usually dont even get in this section because its 75% bolt on lt1s in here asking about missfiring issues and what cam should they get for thier sock heads. I dont see anything wrong with that we were all there at one point in time. But i find it more intresting going through ForcedInduction section, and CZ28.com Advanced Tech/Forced induction because the topics are more intresting for me. The biggest accomplishment for this guy with the Impala is he got the blower working and more power to him , but when people that say Cent blower arent as efficient say "wow look this car made 310rwhp blown"

Last edited by LittleRedZ; 05-06-2005 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I love that Spelling police damn i guess i cant even go to a forum and not worried about my spelling. So what is the big deal. Thats what i said earlier what the Hell is .812 cfm per rev? so you saying a twin screw will put out 5000 cfm? LOL big joke. Anyways just pointing out the abvious. Those blowers are nice and its sure is nice when somone does something different. I admire that i really do. But when people start jumping in and bad mouthing the Centr. Blowers with their stock lt1s wow, thats all i gotta say.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Who is badmouthing centrifugals?? Seems like yer the one running yer ********** about this impala and how bad *** yer centrifugal is that somebody else built for you. .812 cfm per rev, thats per revolution in case you dont understand and yes thats a point in front of it, it's a 2.3L blower. You do know what that 2.3L means right? It moves 2.3L of air per rev. I didn't make it up, go to whipples website and look it up yerself. Cant find anything on what the max output is but a twin screw makes power down low and up top and it is more efficient. You do understand that a roots type and a twin screw are not the same right? Not once have I said the roots type is more efficient, I merely pointed out that I want my power down low ON THE STREET, understand that??? Yes that's DOWN LOW, I don't want to have a 4000+ stall on a TRUE daily driver just to spin up my supercharger to keep it in boost, understand that?? I'm not comparing yer car to this impala, that's stupid, you have a race prepared car, this is a heavy daily driver with 200,000+ miles on the motor that is still making 400+ ft lbs, that's pretty good in my book. And in case you don't understand, torque is what you want on the street, again torque is DOWN LOW. I'm through with this silly ****, grow up dude.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:56 PM
TECH Junkie

.812 cfm per rev, thats per revolution in case you dont understand and yes thats a point in front of it, it's a 2.3L blower. You do know what that 2.3L means right? It moves 2.3L of air per rev. I didn't make it up, go to whipples website and look it up yerself.
2.3L on their site says its good till 600hp under universal small block EFI. Is that the one you were looking at?

By the way, just for your info, 2.3L = .0812 cubic feet (not .812)

Multiply that by 6000 rpm and you get 487 cfm from the 2.3L blower. An s trim for example can push 1000cfm.

roots and screw will definitley yield better low end if that is the operating range.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

2.3L on their site says its good till 600hp under universal small block EFI. Is that the one you were looking at?

Multiply that by 6000 rpm and you get 487 cfm from the 2.3L blower. An s trim for example can push 1000cfm.

roots and screw will definitley yield better low end if that is the operating range.
That's per revolution of the blower, correct? Pulley ratios would change that significantly.

No one blower will fit everyone's needs. Although, low end torque is nice on the street to a point. At some point you just can't get the tires to hook anyways, so why do you need more? On a heavy impala or a pickup, I can see where a twin-screw or roots would be very beneficial.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Birdie2000
That's per revolution of the blower, correct? Pulley ratios would change that significantly.
If the rating truly is 2.3L per revolution, then it is like a positive displacement pump. Its doesnt matter what pulleys you use it will still only displace 2.3L per revolution. You can pulley it up or down to get more or less cfm, but the amount per rev. wont change.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

If the rating truly is 2.3L per revolution, then it is like a positive displacement pump. Its doesnt matter what pulleys you use it will still only displace 2.3L per revolution. You can pulley it up or down to get more or less cfm, but the amount per rev. wont change.
Right, I was more referring to the 6000rpms, which would presumably be the engine's redline and assuming a 1:1 ratio. Blower pulleys generally are more of a 2:1-2.5:1 ratio and you'd get cfm more like the s-trim. You'd have 12,000+ rpm in the blower.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Who is badmouthing centrifugals?? Seems like yer the one running yer ********** about this impala and how bad *** yer centrifugal is that somebody else built for you. .812 cfm per rev, thats per revolution in case you dont understand and yes thats a point in front of it, it's a 2.3L blower. You do know what that 2.3L means right? It moves 2.3L of air per rev. I didn't make it up, go to whipples website and look it up yerself. Cant find anything on what the max output is but a twin screw makes power down low and up top and it is more efficient. You do understand that a roots type and a twin screw are not the same right? Not once have I said the roots type is more efficient, I merely pointed out that I want my power down low ON THE STREET, understand that??? Yes that's DOWN LOW, I don't want to have a 4000+ stall on a TRUE daily driver just to spin up my supercharger to keep it in boost, understand that?? I'm not comparing yer car to this impala, that's stupid, you have a race prepared car, this is a heavy daily driver with 200,000+ miles on the motor that is still making 400+ ft lbs, that's pretty good in my book. And in case you don't understand, torque is what you want on the street, again torque is DOWN LOW. I'm through with this silly ****, grow up dude.
Wow did i ever go and call anyone names? Seems like youre the one getting a little to upset about this.Yes i know screw is better then roots but still behind centr.Yes i understand that you want your power down low why not do a 401 strocker its more reliable and you get down low tourqe like stated above just to put around town why do you need performance just get a disel pick up they have like what 550lbs of tourque and 250hp. When you stay in boost all the time you will suffer a real bad gas milege why would you want that in your TRUE daily driver? A race prepared car? ok whatever you say As stated above you dont want too much tourqe especially on the street because all its going to do it roast STREET tires off on your TRUEDaily driver.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Me upset? Nope but if I recall yer the one that said this impala was a joke and that centrifugals rule all. I was actually just stating the differences in each in my first post and saying what I want out of a supercharger but you had to correct me and tell me that centrifugals rule all. Yer not in boost all the time, when the throttle is closed there is little or no boost, are you sure you know how superchargers work?? Any supercharged application will hurt fuel mileage but who said anything about fuel mileage?? And don't be so sure screw types are "behind" centrifugals as you put it. I don't want too much torque? Hmmm so my daily driver can't have good suspension under it? I gotta run stock tires too? Well damn! I'll just go buy a 81 VW rabbit diesel then cause it doesn't have too much torque and it gets good gas mileage. By the way, I'm gonna recommend to the top fuel guys that they get a centrifugal because that roots blower is just a piece of ****.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
8kickassrs9 roots blowers are better(more efficient) than centifugal, just harder to package, turbos are a step up yet, centrifugals are more popular and more available because they are easier to package.

Youl would like to think thats correct but is not. its actually the opposite, The heat transfer froma roots stle is so high it will make your head spin. Anything other than a whiple or a Kb sysle twin screw just will not do.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yer right 2.3L = .0812 cubic feet per rev, the .812 figure is in cubic feet per minute per rev, I'd like to know how they came up with that number. Seems like if it's a "per minute" number it would have to be based on a certain rpm somehow. I know the F1 max cfm is 1500 and the max rpm of the blower is like 50,000, are they saying you gotta turn it 50,000 to get that 1500 since both those are the max number?? I don't claim to be an expert on superchargers or math, these are the numbers that whipple has up on their site.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

Jeez everyone got cranky really quick. As I had posted this was just more or less an informational post to show that someone made a kit to install a twin/screw roots blower onto an LT1 b-body without much hassle. The motors they were tested on were less than perfect, and that's why the one only dynoed 310rwhp due to what I had stated. The setup was still very economical in terms of gas mileage; keith was getting 23mpg w/ the setup on the original car w a 200 r4 trans w/ non lockup converter, and 3.73s gears.

I do beilieve the guy from GA now has the system on a 383 \

Matt

Quick Reply: You F-body guys get to be jealous. Well for the time being.