LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

the LT1 block is no longer being made?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question the LT1 block is no longer being made?

Ok, I am confused here. Me and enisguy had a convo awhile back about the LT1 block. I have been told and have read several times that the LT1 block is no longer being made. But how does SDPC and several other places have new LT1 blocks not old cores or anything, but actually new blocks? Anyone have thoughts?
Old 01-13-2005, 02:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've never read nor heard that they aren't being made anymore....very good possibility that is true and if it is, I'm sure there is quite a bit of surplus block those darn Canadians are holding on to

I'll have to do some checking tomorrow and see what I can find out.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:34 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scoggin dickey bought all the surplus or by the pallet of blocks from gm...kinda like summit buying the 5.0 h.o. ford engines from ford and selling them......... Gm still evidentally produces the block or has a warehouse somewhere since they offer long block lt1 engines still.. Not sure why they dont sell the block by itself however...
Old 01-13-2005, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joe Overton
Scoggin dickey bought all the surplus or by the pallet of blocks from gm...kinda like summit buying the 5.0 h.o. ford engines from ford and selling them......... Gm still evidentally produces the block or has a warehouse somewhere since they offer long block lt1 engines still.. Not sure why they dont sell the block by itself however...
They sell the short block without the cam or timing componets.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If GM was smart, they would offer bare 4 bolt LT1 blocks. They could sell them for 500.00 ea. all day long because it's much cheaper than converting a 2 bolt block.

If I were king for a day,,,, lol....

Mike
Old 01-13-2005, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
If GM was smart, they would offer bare 4 bolt LT1 blocks. They could sell them for 500.00 ea. all day long because it's much cheaper than converting a 2 bolt block.

If I were king for a day,,,, lol....

Mike
Yes, but think of the profit margins on that compared to a whole car
Old 01-14-2005, 03:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 250 Likes on 174 Posts

From what I was told at The vette plant during one of many tours, Car manufacturers will do a contract thing with companies like SD and either sell them the NOS stockpile, continue casting them for said companies, or sell the companies the casting molds to make their own. From what I gather, The 4 bolt casting mold was never sold and is not being used. Basically it's shut down and put away. Probably until someone like Dart or Brodix puts up enough $$$ to buy it when the time is right, basically when almost all remaining are depleted and the cost will be like a 426 hemi or ZL1 block, today.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I guess its good to know that people still sell them, Just in case an LT1 guy vents the block with a rod

Quick Reply: the LT1 block is no longer being made?