LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

All motor LT1/LT4 dyno numbers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 11:50 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by Joe Overton
592 rwhp@7300/540 rwtq "flash" and peaked through the curve at 465rwtq @6200 through a th400 on slicks...... I only made one pull just to see since I tune mostly at the track thats the real deal...dyno's are good for a baseline thats pretty much it IMHO... And sad to say rpm isnt the issue with a lt1 intake its plenum volume and turbulence it creates ....and you can take that to the bank!!!!

Joe I certainly agree about tuning on the track. The tuning I have ended up with in mine looks wrong on the dyno. Your car is a lot faster than mine, don't think anybody disputes that. Your car is also a lot more radical than mine. I don't think anybody looking at the two would dispute that either. I don't think many knowledgeable people that looked at both of them would consider them much alike. I don't claim to have the fastest, or most powerful, but I do have fun with it. I quite taking it so serious when I quit running NHRA twenty five years ago. I had a '69 Camaro with a 283" & pocket ported straight plug iron heads and a single un-ported 750cfm carb, running at 10.5 lbs/cubic inch, on 10.5" tires (NHRA C/SM rules at the time) that ran as fast as this car, way back in 1978. It was one of the fastest C/SMs in the country at the time. A little too much cam in that one to drive well on the street, however. I'm old. I just play around a little now. This car drives nice, and still gets decent gas mileage. EFI is a wonderful thing. I'm just going to play around with the factory pieces (heads, intake, PCM, 4L60E, etc) a while longer.

Good luck with your racing, Ed
Old 01-16-2005, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well technically yes I do run a lt1 intake..actually lingenfelter designed it and its listed as a lt1 intake though its a 1st gen lt1 fi carb design...as far as plenum volume lets just say I ran almost 5" of spacers on my intake and was still picking up bottom end in the car and thats on a conventional carb style intake let alone a lt1/lt4 design.... not hard to figure out air turns better and makes better velocity with smooth transitions and runners...airspeed is greatly reduced in a high hp lt1 setup utlizing a lt1/lt4 style intake.. Steve Quinn tried to overcome this not long ago with a fabbed lt1 intake on his setup by increasing plenum volume and he was turning over 8g and even still himself moved on to a conventional style intake shortly there after... I guess it comes down to whether you want to be fast or just fast with a lt1 /lt4 intake...
Thank you for the info, I am curious because I want to build an all motor LT1, and I dont want it to be average, I want it to haulass for an LT1, 12:1 CR on pump gas, I talked to Lloyd Elliot and he said that he can have a LE3 cam designed for me that will give me a low DCR, 6" rods, Trick Flow heads, I just started doing some research on quench, pretty much every thing i can think of that will make extra power. Do you think then a LT1/LT4 intake will hold me back too much? Any suggested alternatives?
Thanks in advance, GOD of LT1's
-Mark
Old 01-16-2005, 12:00 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Joe I certainly agree about tuning on the track. The tuning I have ended up with in mine looks wrong on the dyno. Your car is a lot faster than mine, don't think anybody disputes that. Your car is also a lot more radical than mine. I don't think anybody looking at the two would dispute that either. I don't think many knowledgeable people that looked at both of them would consider them much alike. I don't claim to have the fastest, or most powerful, but I do have fun with it. I quite taking it so serious when I quit running NHRA twenty five years ago. I had a '69 Camaro with a 283" & pocket ported straight plug iron heads and a single un-ported 750cfm carb, running at 10.5 lbs/cubic inch, on 10.5" tires (NHRA C/SM rules at the time) that ran as fast as this car, way back in 1978. It was one of the fastest C/SMs in the country at the time. A little too much cam in that one to drive well on the street, however. I'm old. I just play around a little now. This car drives nice, and still gets decent gas mileage. EFI is a wonderful thing. I'm just going to play around with the factory pieces (heads, intake, PCM, 4L60E, etc) a while longer.

Good luck with your racing, Ed

Ed, no problem here ..Everyone has thier ways of going about things...You are trying to do as much as you can with factory peices nothing wrong with that...You are very respected as a tuner and racer in the f-body scene and nobody will take anything away from you in that respect.not to mention for what you have you have definately pushed not just the engine combo but the rest of the car to the edge..As we both know its not all about the engine its the whole package ..I'm just a car nut whos never satisfied if you know what I mean...
Old 01-16-2005, 12:02 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS Mark
Thank you for the info, I am curious because I want to build an all motor LT1, and I dont want it to be average, I want it to haulass for an LT1, 12:1 CR on pump gas, I talked to Lloyd Elliot and he said that he can have a LE3 cam designed for me that will give me a low DCR, 6" rods, Trick Flow heads, I just started doing some research on quench, pretty much every thing i can think of that will make extra power. Do you think then a LT1/LT4 intake will hold me back too much? Any suggested alternatives?
Thanks in advance, GOD of LT1's
-Mark

12:1 pump gas is definately doable and the le3 cam will do you well..Tuning is key on high comp street car as anything else...The intake wont hold you back till you really start needing some serious air....I would however invest in having the intake gone through and opened up as much as possible.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:29 PM
9-Second Club

Ed, no problem here ..Everyone has thier ways of going about things...You are trying to do as much as you can with factory peices nothing wrong with that...You are very respected as a tuner and racer in the f-body scene and nobody will take anything away from you in that respect.not to mention for what you have you have definately pushed not just the engine combo but the rest of the car to the edge..As we both know its not all about the engine its the whole package ..I'm just a car nut whos never satisfied if you know what I mean...

Thanks Joe. I was very impressed with your car's performance at No Problem. That thing is BAD fast.

What do you have for headers?

Take care, Ed
Old 01-16-2005, 01:46 PM
9 Second Club

Thanks Joe. I was very impressed with your car's performance at No Problem. That thing is BAD fast.

What do you have for headers?

Take care, Ed

Right now I have lt1 1" 7/8 hedmans ....I have some custom stepped headers I havnt ran yet that would prolly do me better ,having some fitment issues and have to move some primary's to make them work however..
Old 01-16-2005, 02:09 PM
9-Second Club

Right now I have lt1 1" 7/8 hedmans ....I have some custom stepped headers I havnt ran yet that would prolly do me better ,having some fitment issues and have to move some primary's to make them work however..
Joe, are those Hedmans regular production? If so, got the part number handy? I can't find them listed.

Thanks, Ed
Old 01-16-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Joe, at what point(s) did you find it necessary to ditch the factory intake? and how much work did you have into it before you went with what you have now?

Ed, you think you could touch 10ohs maybe 9's with a little less hang time on the launch last time i looked, those headers were listed on their website along with the stepped 1 3/4"-1 7/8" 3.5" collectors
Old 01-16-2005, 03:07 PM
9 Second Club

#63585 true 1 7/8" 3.5
#63586 1 3/4 stepped to 1 7/8 3.5
Old 01-16-2005, 03:10 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by simple
Joe, at what point(s) did you find it necessary to ditch the factory intake? and how much work did you have into it before you went with what you have now?

Ed, you think you could touch 10ohs maybe 9's with a little less hang time on the launch last time i looked, those headers were listed on their website along with the stepped 1 3/4"-1 7/8" 3.5" collectors

10.2's and I made the change....I'd say 2 1/10's minimum with a swap and thats in the 9 sec range ,would be alot more in a slower car
Old 01-16-2005, 03:26 PM
9-Second Club

#63585 true 1 7/8" 3.5
#63586 1 3/4 stepped to 1 7/8 3.5

Thanks Joe!!

Ed
Old 01-16-2005, 03:55 PM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by simple

Don't know why you think it just "hangs" there. It's moving as fast as it can.<G> I have lately gotten it to only carry them about knee high and still dead hook. Runs within about 1/100th either way. Just a fine line between that and wheel spin.

Take care, Ed
Old 01-16-2005, 05:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

ED, i was just wondering since a goal of the fastest racers is to keep the front end down as much as possible.

keep on truckin

Joe, you think there are advantages of a single plane style intake over say a Hogans sheetmetal intake and vice versa? (other then cost)
Old 01-16-2005, 09:05 PM
11 Second Club

Wanna bet? Ask Jeff Moore, (Z284thgen) he is from Tulsa, and has seen the car, and watched run all summer. Jeff & I also have the same size cam. I shift it @ 7200. Stall it to 2000 (foot brake) & stand it on the bumper when it leaves. Plenty of local guys come by the shop, have seen it apart, watched it, raced it, etc.

Jeff, tell him. <BG> It ran 10.26, 10.28, 10.30, over 131 mph, etc right down the road from you, at Hallsville TX. Found I had too much gear in it after the Tulsa track closed. Tested down there with the new gears. Air never was killer, best I got to run in was 600'. Picture of it on Hallsville's website. Bottom row, to the right right. It gets a lot higher than that picture. <G>

Take care, Ed
call all the BS you want to its got the good ol LT4 intake and heads on that bad boy. if your still not a believer im willing to pay for your fuel tickets up here to tulsa so you can personally look at it in his shop. and if there not LT1/LT4 you win and get the money but if they are then you just wasted your time

Last edited by Z284thgen; 01-18-2005 at 12:16 AM.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:37 PM
Launching!

Wanna bet? Ask Jeff Moore, (Z284thgen) he is from Tulsa, and has seen the car, and watched run all summer. Jeff & I also have the same size cam. I shift it @ 7200. Stall it to 2000 (foot brake) & stand it on the bumper when it leaves. Plenty of local guys come by the shop, have seen it apart, watched it, raced it, etc.

Jeff, tell him. <BG> It ran 10.26, 10.28, 10.30, over 131 mph, etc right down the road from you, at Hallsville TX. Found I had too much gear in it after the Tulsa track closed. Tested down there with the new gears. Air never was killer, best I got to run in was 600'. Picture of it on Hallsville's website. Bottom row, to the right right. It gets a lot higher than that picture. <G>

Take care, Ed
Yeah your setup isnt too hard to believe, although it is very impressive. Regarding Mike Texass: Steve Quinn made 675fwhp and ran a 9.71 at 138.16 NA through LT1 heads on a 370ci LT1. Granted the heads had quite a bit of work done to them, but its definitely a very well put together setup.

Here it is for sale:
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325918
Old 01-17-2005, 11:00 AM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by meangreen94z
Yeah your setup isnt too hard to believe, although it is very impressive. Regarding Mike Texass: Steve Quinn made 675fwhp and ran a 9.71 at 138.16 NA through LT1 heads on a 370ci LT1. Granted the heads had quite a bit of work done to them, but its definitely a very well put together setup.

Here it is for sale:
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325918
Don't know why mine would be hard to belive. Easy to duplicate, just buy a cheap off the shelf 383" rotating assy, decent heads & cam, and there you are. Quinn listed his engine for sale, it comes with the F.A.S.T. computer tuneup he developed, has 15-1 compression, apears to uses a vacuum pump, which usually means low tension, back cut rings, etc. Mine is much milder, dyno numbers were on 93 octane, uses the factory PCM, which only goes 7250/7300 before going tilt, so really big cams don't help. Other than kinda fast idle, and kinda loud exhaust (when it's on there), it drives fine. Only time I've had it out of town still got 20 mpg. Don't actually drive it much anymore.
I don't claim to have the fastest. He just asked what others were seeing for power. Next everybody is going to want to drop trou & get out the rulers. I'd loose that one big time for darn sure.

Take care, Ed
Old 01-17-2005, 03:06 PM
12 Second Club

Mods, numbers, and times in sig.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Formula94
Mods, numbers, and times in sig.
so hows the cc306 feel, with untouched heads,and bottom end??? BTW how many miles you got on your bottom end???? Thinkin about putting a cc306 in mine, but i'm not too sure yet, its my daily driver and i think that would not be too street friendly.....???
Old 01-17-2005, 05:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK #07
so hows the cc306 feel, with untouched heads,and bottom end??? BTW how many miles you got on your bottom end???? Thinkin about putting a cc306 in mine, but i'm not too sure yet, its my daily driver and i think that would not be too street friendly.....???
It pulls like a raped ape. I've got 68k on the bottom end, and about 10k on the cam, springs, locks, and retainers; and about 30k on the rockers, and pushrods.(I used to have the cc305 but it was too small.) As far as street friendly, I drive the car at least 40 miles every day (May-Oct) usually during traffic, and I don't think it is too bad.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:45 PM
Launching!

I watched my best friend pull 440rwhp 430rwtq on m6 with 315's,410's,93oct,lt1 heads

Quick Reply: All motor LT1/LT4 dyno numbers?