LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

DynaSpark

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 04:17 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ou812/z28
BRODEX HV-1 carb intake modified for efi with elbow for the mono blade throttle body from arizona speed and marine. afr 210cc intake runners and 12.5:1. futrall motorsports did the pcm.

How well did that intake and elbow work on your car? Did you have to modify the cowl any? I think I am going to go that route, so just seeing what you had to do. Thanks!
Old 01-25-2005, 05:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it reduces the risk of moisture problems it should be well worth the money.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:53 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ponyhntr
How well did that intake and elbow work on your car? Did you have to modify the cowl any? I think I am going to go that route, so just seeing what you had to do. Thanks!
with the hv-1 you have to modify the cowl and i had to cut a hole in the hood for the elbow and tb. if u have been to the thunder shootout then u may have seen the car. if not get the picture cd and look for it they have a few shots of the car. and video also.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:05 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by ou812/z28
with the hv-1 you have to modify the cowl and i had to cut a hole in the hood for the elbow and tb. if u have been to the thunder shootout then u may have seen the car. if not get the picture cd and look for it they have a few shots of the car. and video also.
Thanks, I will get the cd.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

how did it work
Old 01-30-2005, 03:18 PM
12 Second Club

Post us the results Brent. I am really interested int getting this for my camaro this Summer.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by METALBEAST
Post us the results Brent. I am really interested int getting this for my camaro this Summer.
x2...well this winter for me!!!
Old 01-31-2005, 08:11 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 95greenZ
how did it work
i did not do a before and after but i had a freind that did. before 10.0x's after victor jr intake and elbow 9.71 so it does make a good difference. i am happy with my decision and would not go back.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:49 AM
Launching!

Well, got the Dynaspark on this weekend. Man its was a very easy Install, plug and play setup as they said. My car has never since Ive owned started so quick and sounded so crisp. Before, if my car died, I would have to turn the ignition off cycle it and then restart. If it dies now, just bump the starter and it fires right up. Itll sure save on the starter. As many of you know Ive got a 383 solid roller setup w/ LE2 heads, 30lb inj,plenty of fuel. I originally tuned the car w/ my old optispark,the old one had a Intermitent Low and high res failure. Scanned it several times and was running very fat across the board. Took the car out for a test run this weekend w/ the same tune, and I spun a rod bearing. I did notice when I got the car back to the house I had blown a head gasket. Pulled off the valve covers and, yep, chocolate milk on the insides of the valve covers. Radiator was pressurized, and the exhaust was spittin coolant. Only coclusion I could come to Is the car was too lean w/ the ignition. I did manage to have the scanner on it at the time. The engine temp never got over 172 farenheit. The 02's on the other hand were a little on the low side. Somewhere around 750-840 @WOT. I dont know how else, I could have blown the gaskets. The heads are freshly milled. Any Ideas?

Last edited by BRENTT94Z; 01-31-2005 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

****...sorry to hear brent!!!! man that sucks big time!!!! hope everything will be ok and you can get ur car running soon!!!!!!! sucks to hear that!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-01-2005, 09:03 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GWTFI
Its a billet optispark replacement.

For 600+ bucks, you could have done away with most of your opti in one fell swoop. http://www.delteq.com

Thats the route I'll be taking in a bit.
Kelly, has anybody measured any power gains over a good Opti?

Ed
Old 02-02-2005, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I purchased two Dynaspark distributors last year. I installed one on my Camaro and have lost the top end "hick-up" that I used to get with stock Opti's (at 7000+ rpm). One of the best purchases that I have made.

Daren
Old 02-02-2005, 10:52 PM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by GIZMO
I purchased two Dynaspark distributors last year. I installed one on my Camaro and have lost the top end "hick-up" that I used to get with stock Opti's (at 7000+ rpm). One of the best purchases that I have made.

Daren

I have a customer in New York that tells me the Dynaspark fixed a high rpm miss in his also. Guess I'm lucky, my stock Opti has been fine. First one went over 120,000 miles, and I put a new on when I changed engines. Never misses a beat. I see these other systems that replace the opti, and just wondered if anybody has actually seen a power increase? Have had shops tell me they use them all the time, they drive better & "feel" faster. We all know about butt-dynos.

Seems like the same guys have them fail over & over. Others never have a problem. Strange deal.

Good luck, Ed
Old 02-03-2005, 07:52 AM
TECH Addict

Ed,

I raced with the same opti for five years (I always kept a spare with me). I used it on at least five motors. I call it my lucky opti! Since we race mostly in the 1/8th mile in Division 9 it was never a problem. The only time that I had a problem was when I ran National events. At first I thought that it was fuel related, but as soon as I put the Dynaspark in, the car picked up about 1 mph in the quarter.
I really wonder about the worth of the changeover kits. Seems like a lot of added weight and some extremely long plug wires. I would love to see a dyno comparison versus a Dynaspark.
I wish that I had known you were at Thunder. I would of come over and said hello.

Take Care,

Daren
Old 02-03-2005, 10:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm running the delteq and love it. But I just want to clear somthing. Many people still think that this will solve 100% of your opti problems... Well it solves a large amount of them. But it still uses the optical sensor, so that can still fail. I recommend this unit to anyone. Install was easy as heck too.

As for the Dynaspark, I have never heard a complaint about it.

Mike
Old 02-04-2005, 08:32 AM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by GIZMO
Ed,

I raced with the same opti for five years (I always kept a spare with me). I used it on at least five motors. I call it my lucky opti! Since we race mostly in the 1/8th mile in Division 9 it was never a problem. The only time that I had a problem was when I ran National events. At first I thought that it was fuel related, but as soon as I put the Dynaspark in, the car picked up about 1 mph in the quarter.
I really wonder about the worth of the changeover kits. Seems like a lot of added weight and some extremely long plug wires. I would love to see a dyno comparison versus a Dynaspark.
I wish that I had known you were at Thunder. I would of come over and said hello.

Take Care,

Daren
Hey Darren, I had no idea you would be at No Problem, or I would have hunted you down. Visited with Jimmy Hidalgo quite a bit. That dude has a fleet of them, doesn't he? Guess you know the customer in New York I mentioned is Rick.

I need to get back to chasing the rpm limit in these boxes. It would be nice to not have to go to aftermarket for another 2K. Should be shifting these things 8500 to 8800. Have not had much extra time with hacking the new LS2 PCMs keeping me so busy. If I find it, I'll fix you up.

Just got my cage updated so when I get this thing into the nines they won't run me off. Think I can do it with factory head & intake castings, PCM & the 4L60E. I'm sure others have done already it, so I don't think I'm doing anything new. Just think it would be an interesting project.

Still running your NHRA cars?

Take care, Ed
Old 02-06-2005, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

Ed,

I talk to Rick pretty often. I wish that he would run some of these shoot-outs.
I never did run the PCM that I had you fix. I spent quite a bit of money preparing for last years shoot-out series, but decided to skip it because of the lack of a points system.
We will be bringing the Camaro to Atlanta. It will be in B/FIA trim, so it won't be that fast. If we have fun we will fix the Firebird to run the other three events. If not, we will run IHRA Top Stock.
Are you coming to Atlanta? If so, look us up. The Camaro is bright red with "Ta-Dink!" on the doors.

Take Care,

Daren

Quick Reply: DynaSpark