LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Engine oil cooler question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 02:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine oil cooler question

I'm swapping an LT1 from a 1995 9C1 Caprice into a Datsun 240Z. When I pulled the motor from the donor I grabbed the factory engine oil cooler with the intention of using it in the Z.

Can anyone tell me if the factory oil cooler adapter has a built in thermostat?
I'm not sure I need the cooler for the Z although I plan on doing some Auto-X and it gets real hot where I live during the summer months.
Anyway I know that the oil needs to reach about 200 degrees to drive any moisture out and I don't want to over cool it so if the factory adapter doesn't have a thermostat I'm going to put one in.

ZcarGuy
Old 01-25-2005, 08:56 PM
Launching!

no it doesnt, i unfortunately had to replace mine after running over a piece of cement. it is a simple bolt on but does help in also keeping the engine temps down so i would definitely at least run the factory one. i lucked up and found an slp one for cheap on the net. no thermostat or temp sensor involved with it though.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Run a 160 stat and keep the fans set appropriately and skip the cooler, if still worried then run a synthetic oil. With a 160 stat and reprogramming we usually run the coolant 40degrees cooler than the first fan was set too come on from the factory, that alone will keep the oil much cooler and should negate the need for the cooler alltogether, using a synthetic would just give you a safety net. I would say M1 0w-40 5w-40 or Castrol Syntec 0w-30 "made in Gemany".

Instead of an oil thermostat most of the Caprices and other b-bodies had in radiator oil coolers which ties oil temps too coolant temps helping with warmup and preventing overcooling which I feel is a rwal concern with the 9C1s external only oil cooler setup.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the replys.
I was hoping it had a thrmostat but no such luck.

96CapriceMgr,
I think I'll follow your advice and save myself the money and time required to install the cooler. I am going to keep it around just in case I have problems and use a thermostat if I end up putting it in. Now I just have to get a spin on adapter and a filter and I'm good to go on that issue.

Thanks again guys
ZcarGuy