LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

problem with OBD2 connection wires

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default problem with OBD2 connection wires

Man i am really frustrated guys. I have an LT1 scanmaster on my car. I installed a couple years ago. I bought the scanmaster before they had the plug that went with the cord, so i had to hard wire it into my OBD2 connection wires underneath the dash.

Ok to the problem. The scanmaster is not reading anymore. Now i know that the problem is not from the scanmaster because i tried to plug up an OBD2 scanner and it will not read.

I am sure that it has to do with the wiring around the OBD2 connector.
I tried to remedy this and only made it worse. I wound up cutting all of the wires that go to the connector , and extending them with more color coded wires to give me more room to work with the plug. I have reconnected all of the wires a couple times now. I have not reconnected the wires back to the factory way because i cant really get enough wire and room.

I am kinda screwed as i dont really know how to diagnose the wiring underneath. I have a voltmeter and i was just going to go from wire to wire and make sure i am getting the proper voltage from each wire.
Does anybody know how to help me diagnose this problem.
I feel retarded because i was trying to do something to help read my car better, and now i cant read it at all.

I have switched PCMs after a mail order tune, so i know it is not the PCM itself.

Please help guys as i really need to get this car scanned and properly tuned. I am getting cam surge and cannot get dyno tuned untill this gets resolved.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:24 PM
TECH Regular

i have a scanmaster that is hard wired as well (well kinda, i spliced it in with male and female plug ends so i could take it out if i wanted). anyways if i want to plug a scan tool in my obd port i had to unplug the scanmaster to get a scan tool to work. so what i mean is it could be your scanmaster just took a crap on ya and your scan tool was not reading because of the scanmaster. btw i hate wires as well
Old 02-08-2005, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I totally appreciate the reply being nobody else answered.
Yeah well i took out the scanmaster after it stopped working. I think the wires got tugged slightly and thats why it lost connection. I did however try to hook up the obd2 scanner after the scanmaster was dissconected.
I have read that some people put a toggle switch to turn off scanmaster for scanning ect, but i didnt get that far.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:35 PM
TECH Regular

yeah i thought about using the toggle but in order to tune my car we had to unplug the whole unit...good luck with yours

do you have any pics of youe nx installed?
Old 02-09-2005, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00Z-28-LT1
yeah i thought about using the toggle but in order to tune my car we had to unplug the whole unit...good luck with yours

do you have any pics of youe nx installed?
No I dont at the moment. I pulled the system because i am porting my heads and slappin them in. Thats why i am trying to get this scanner thing worked out so i can tune my car better. I have a mail order tune but i am thinking i need more fine tuning, because i am getting surge and all that crud.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Come on guys help me! I know some of you have an idea.

Quick Reply: problem with OBD2 connection wires