LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Porting And Polishing Heads

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 11:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porting And Polishing Heads

Can Anybody Help Me Find Somebody To Port And Polish A Set Of Heads For A Lt-1,somebody Thats Good At It And Maybe A Price Range Thanks Alot And Godbless,bill
Old 02-24-2005, 12:20 AM
Teching In

www.eportworks.com
very well priced. awesome job. guaranteed power.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I had never seen that site, but they are some damn good prices for that work. Especially a pkg w/ a cam. We used to charge that much just for port work.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:45 AM
Launching!

Check out the guys in my website.

Rum Runner Racing Heads. http://z28racer.com/Rum%20Runner%20Racing%20Heads.htm

They do incredible work. They also will match the intake to the heads, NOT gasket match. and the match cams up with the heads, AGAIN not just pick a big cam.

Ken
Old 02-24-2005, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

z28racerlt1,
what did your heads flow? I went to your site and I couldnot open where it said to click for flow sheet. I have a set of bare AFR LT4 210's that I am looking for a porter for. These are going on a forced induction 357 LT1.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by n2oblkz
z28racerlt1,
what did your heads flow? I went to your site and I couldnot open where it said to click for flow sheet. I have a set of bare AFR LT4 210's that I am looking for a porter for. These are going on a forced induction 357 LT1.
The heads started as Total Engine Airflow LT1's They flowed around 260/185.
Rum Runner got the low lift numbers way up. I don't even have the heads back yet. Dan(owner of Rum Runner) said that they got about 271/195. Sorry about the site. Its kinda a work in progress. The times were with the TEA heads. I am looking for 10.60's or better this year. Dan works out of his garage but is fully capable. He has his own flow bench there. He is nuts about the attention to detail. Give him a call. He knows his ****!!!!!! When I get my flow numbers I'll give them to you. Should be by this weekend. By the way I'm in IL. Rum Runner is also. I noticed you were in IN. Don't know where though. I am not real familiar with all of IN.

Ken
Old 02-25-2005, 12:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by z28racerlt1
The heads started as Total Engine Airflow LT1's They flowed around 260/185.
Rum Runner got the low lift numbers way up. I don't even have the heads back yet. Dan(owner of Rum Runner) said that they got about 271/195. Sorry about the site. Its kinda a work in progress. The times were with the TEA heads. I am looking for 10.60's or better this year. Dan works out of his garage but is fully capable. He has his own flow bench there. He is nuts about the attention to detail. Give him a call. He knows his ****!!!!!! When I get my flow numbers I'll give them to you. Should be by this weekend. By the way I'm in IL. Rum Runner is also. I noticed you were in IN. Don't know where though. I am not real familiar with all of IN.

Ken
what size valves was that with?
Old 02-25-2005, 02:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SAPPER
I had never seen that site, but they are some damn good prices for that work. Especially a pkg w/ a cam. We used to charge that much just for port work.
I bet if we just called it Lloyd Elliot's page it would be more familiar. Definetely a good option.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

TEA, yea I had a set of those with those same #'s. Till I found out that those #'s weren't at 28" water. When I did have them flowed at 28", turned out they were245/178. NEVER AGAIN!!
Old 02-25-2005, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Posted by: SAPPER
TEA, yea I had a set of those with those same #'s. Till I found out that those #'s weren't at 28" water. When I did have them flowed at 28", turned out they were245/178. NEVER AGAIN!!
Wow! TEA was one of the porters that I was going to check into as far as doing my AFR 210's!
Old 02-25-2005, 03:39 PM
Launching!

2.00/1.56 valves. I was happy with the TEA heads. As you can see I ran 10.98 NA. with a very mild 355. stock compression. I just know that Rum Runner found alot of room for improvment. I the valve job alone. They put real nasty angles which give some major low lift numbers. They also reshaped the runners which really helped the flow numbers both on bottom and on top. I can't wait to see what it runs this year.

Ken
Old 02-25-2005, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Posted by: z28racerlt1
2.00/1.56 valves. I was happy with the TEA heads. As you can see I ran 10.98 NA. with a very mild 355. stock compression. I just know that Rum Runner found alot of room for improvment. I the valve job alone. They put real nasty angles which give some major low lift numbers. They also reshaped the runners which really helped the flow numbers both on bottom and on top. I can't wait to see what it runs this year.
I have always heard good things about them and a buddy of mine had his blown 1996 355 Z tuned at their shop when they were in Bowling Green. Seemed like a real good and knowledgeable outfit. But I don't want to buy from someplace that has inflated numbers. I think the fact that you were able to get more flow out of them goes back to the old argument about which is better, CNC ported or hand ported. I think CNC ported will obviously give you better consistency in the chambers and runners since it is computer finished but the "human" attention to detail is what is missing. My buddy with the blown 355 Z had heads from CNC heads and they were "freashened" up by a porter and he got some more CFM out of them. I just don't know if it will make that much difference since I will be force inducted and not NA?
Old 02-25-2005, 04:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by n2oblkz
I have always heard good things about them and a buddy of mine had his blown 1996 355 Z tuned at their shop when they were in Bowling Green. Seemed like a real good and knowledgeable outfit. But I don't want to buy from someplace that has inflated numbers. I think the fact that you were able to get more flow out of them goes back to the old argument about which is better, CNC ported or hand ported. I think CNC ported will obviously give you better consistency in the chambers and runners since it is computer finished but the "human" attention to detail is what is missing. My buddy with the blown 355 Z had heads from CNC heads and they were "freashened" up by a porter and he got some more CFM out of them. I just don't know if it will make that much difference since I will be force inducted and not NA?
Well anyway you look at it, a motor is just a large air pump. Air goes in and out. The faster the air goes in and out while doing it by the most efficient way that makes power. I would think that it makes just as much a difference in a forced induction application as it would in a NA application. I can't say if my TEA numbers were inflated because I never flowed them when I got them new. I flowed them after 2 seasons. I know that the heads will never flow as good as when they are first put together.

Ken
Old 02-26-2005, 03:03 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by z28racerlt1
Well anyway you look at it, a motor is just a large air pump. Air goes in and out. The faster the air goes in and out while doing it by the most efficient way that makes power. I would think that it makes just as much a difference in a forced induction application as it would in a NA application. I can't say if my TEA numbers were inflated because I never flowed them when I got them new. I flowed them after 2 seasons. I know that the heads will never flow as good as when they are first put together.

Ken
The shop who's heads have, on average, made the best power on LT1 cars that have been here at my place has been CNC Cylinder Heads, in Florida. I have also seen some of Elliot's stuff make good power. Hand ported heads won't always be exactly the same, no mater who is doing them. All major race teams CNC their heads. The only way to get the same thing everytime. Most engine builders hand finish the area just below the seats. Not everything you do the the heads, especially the seat area, that makes more cfm, will make more power. That is steady state dry flow you see on the flow bench, but that is not what is going on in the cylinder heads. You have to manage the fuel after the turn into the seat area also. I saw enough CNC cars make more power, consistently enough, that I had them do my LT4 castings when I decided to play around again. I have been very satisfied with mine. They did the heads & intake. Very reasonable, I thought, for what I got. Also, they still flow the same as when new. Can't imagine why they wouldn't, unless too little spring pressure beat the seats up badly, or carbon build up from oil consumption.

Good luck, Ed

10.26 @ 131.72 1.31 60'
383" NA 3350 lbs street legal, foot braking
Old 02-26-2005, 03:25 PM
8 Second Club

Also try www.portpros.com

He does awesome work and decent prices! Stand up guy who tells you up front what to expect.

Tony

Quick Reply: Porting And Polishing Heads