LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Catted y for pacesetters?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 06:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catted y for pacesetters?

I did a search already and have found nothing. I'm looking to buy LTs very soon. I understand that engine bay heat is a factor with LT1s so i want to go with coated correct? I found pacesetters for a good price but they don't seem to offer a catted y for a '95 (or any LT1). Does anyone know where i can get a catted y for these headers? If not, does anyone know of another, somewhat cheap, set of long tubes that come coated with emissions and has an optional catted y?

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2005, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

probably have to fabricate one. it'd be cheaper that way.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bandit 1
probably have to fabricate one. it'd be cheaper that way.
Any exhaust shop right? (Tuffy?) Also, should I use the stock cat?
Old 03-02-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no dont use the stock cat. get a hi flow cat from say Random Tech, car sounds, or Magnaflow. pace setter doesnt offer a catted y with their headers to my knowledge.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Snow Dog
no dont use the stock cat. get a hi flow cat from say Random Tech, car sounds, or Magnaflow. pace setter doesnt offer a catted y with their headers to my knowledge.
Will I still pass with a hi flow cat? I know you can get Random Tech through ThunderRacing and I think Speed Inc. But where you get the other 2 from? (I'm assuming Magnaflow has a webpage)
Old 03-03-2005, 07:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

no such thing as a high flow cat....go to advance auto and get a universal cat that meets ur needs...such as diameter...and lenght, etc, and put it in...dont waste money on "high flow cats" there is noooooo such thing...they maybe, just might flow 1% better than a stock cat
Old 03-03-2005, 04:22 PM
Banned

Lightbulb

Texas Speed and Performance sells a catted y for the LS1 headers. They are split into sections and would almost definately be adaptable to the LT1 headers without problem. FYI
Old 03-03-2005, 05:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
Texas Speed and Performance sells a catted y for the LS1 headers. They are split into sections and would almost definately be adaptable to the LT1 headers without problem. FYI

Is this a "I'm almost sure" or "I think this will work"? Or do you for sure know that it will work on a LT1? Not to be ignorant or anything but I would probably do that (easier then getting one fab'd up) but I don't want to waste the money if it does not work.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:35 PM
Banned

Wink

If you look at their ad in GM High Tech Performance, they have a picture of it. It looks to be in 6 slip-fit pieces. They are made to work with LS1 Pacesetters headers that they are a distributor for. How much different can the outlet for Pacesetters be? Call THEM and I'm sure they can tell you for sure. I was just mentioning it to be helpful as to the possible options out there.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 95greenZ
no such thing as a high flow cat....go to advance auto and get a universal cat that meets ur needs...such as diameter...and lenght, etc, and put it in...dont waste money on "high flow cats" there is noooooo such thing...they maybe, just might flow 1% better than a stock cat
this is wrong. its been proven many times that hi flow cats work. sure there are some applications where the factory cat is more than plentiful, but i have never seen one american V8 that did not pick up good power from a hi flow cat. older cars with cats benefit even more. want more proof that hi flow cats work, how bout the fact that the power difference between a hi flow catted y and ORY is minimal in many cases.

on C5 vettes hi flow cats are the key to unlocking power with the exhaust. you can put TPiS headers on the car and retain the factory cats. its a waste of time. youll pick up very little. put hi flow cats in there and youll easily see 25hp or more at the wheels. same headers different cats.

so yes there is such thing as hi flow cats and yes they work.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
If you look at their ad in GM High Tech Performance, they have a picture of it. It looks to be in 6 slip-fit pieces. They are made to work with LS1 Pacesetters headers that they are a distributor for. How much different can the outlet for Pacesetters be? Call THEM and I'm sure they can tell you for sure. I was just mentioning it to be helpful as to the possible options out there.
Thanks for all the info. I think I'll be giving them all call tomorrow.

Snow Dog - Thank you as well for clearing that up. I'm going to look into hi-flow cats vs. regular cats a little more before i do this.

Thanks again for you whom have posted.
Anyone else???
Old 03-17-2005, 05:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dynomax power cats metalic substrait ,about as compact and freeflowing as it gets.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:37 AM
Teching In

Anyone have a flanged cat setup that swaps in a test pipe to run ORY and then can easily bolt in the cat for a catted y? Is this possible?

FIREHAWK#608 - I talked to TSP and they said that it will not work with the Pacesetter LT1 LTs. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont think anyone makes a catted y for the lt1. Just get a couple hi flows off ebay ( carsound i think ) for like $40. Have someone weld them into the y-pipe, doesnt even have to be a muffler shop.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:45 PM
TECH Resident

there are plenty of catted y pipes availible for the LT1 cars. the problem is that they only work with certain headers. i have a random tech y pipe with cats and its connected to TPiS long tubes. FLP has/had a system that allows you to swap from cats to pipes, but you have to use their headers. so i think your best bet is to just get some hi flow cats and have them welded into a ypipe. a good flowing cat or cats will not hold you back powerwise. not enough to make it worth swapping in and out anyway. the difference will be in sound. catted will be quieter and less raspy
Old 03-19-2005, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

there are plenty of catted y pipes availible for the LT1 cars. the problem is that they only work with certain headers. i have a random tech y pipe with cats and its connected to TPiS long tubes. FLP has/had a system that allows you to swap from cats to pipes, but you have to use their headers. so i think your best bet is to just get some hi flow cats and have them welded into a ypipe. a good flowing cat or cats will not hold you back powerwise. not enough to make it worth swapping in and out anyway. the difference will be in sound. catted will be quieter and less raspy
Do you have any pictues of your set up/placement of cat? I also did a search and didnt come up with anything helpful. I bought pacesetter LTs this weekend (they're in the mail). I need to run a cat, first off is there anyway to have the cat in the stock/or near stock location? Or would it be better to have an exhaust shop make me a catted Y/ weld the cat after the ory before the cat-back? The reason I am asking this is because I know cats burn at a higher temperatures and I am not sure whether or not it would be dangerous to run the cat in a different location than stock, not under the heat sheild. Also if anyone is running a cat with LT's I would greatly appreciate if you could help me with information. Thanks in advance
Old 03-20-2005, 01:01 PM
On The Tree

ttt, please help
Old 03-20-2005, 06:29 PM
TECH Resident

sorry didnt see this til night time today. ill see if i cant get you a pic and email you tomorrow. im a dual cat car so i have two cats stock and the random y has two cats in it regaurdless of if your dual cat or not. the reason being is that with their y the y comes together where the single cat would sit. you can put the cats where ever they will fit. the thing to remember is that the further back the longer it will take for them to start working as they need heat to work. if your going custom i would try and get only one cat put in there somehow. you can always make a heat shield and attach it to the body or the cat itself. hope this helps
Old 03-20-2005, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

sorry didnt see this til night time today. ill see if i cant get you a pic and email you tomorrow. im a dual cat car so i have two cats stock and the random y has two cats in it regaurdless of if your dual cat or not. the reason being is that with their y the y comes together where the single cat would sit. you can put the cats where ever they will fit. the thing to remember is that the further back the longer it will take for them to start working as they need heat to work. if your going custom i would try and get only one cat put in there somehow. you can always make a heat shield and attach it to the body or the cat itself. hope this helps
Thanks for the reply. I just ordered the LT's tonight, they should be here sometime next week. I'm going to have an exhaust shop build a y pipe with the cat built in, and either move the heat sheild or make one to go over the cat. What should I do for a cat, just go to a parts store and pick one up for the size I need, or should I go random tech or catco? Thanks again for the help.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

well theres a couple of options. a cat from random tech is one. call them tell them what your working on and they can recommend the best option. other choices are magnaflow and carsound i think is one. im partial to random tech stuff. ive used it a lot and have been very pleased.

i forgot to get a pic, sorry. tomorrow is supposed to be crappy weather too. do you still need one?

Quick Reply: Catted y for pacesetters?