LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8
View Poll Results: What is the best way to go for the MAF?
Granatelli MAF
11.85%
MAF Ends
8.15%
Descreened Stock MAF
35.93%
Bone Stock MAF
44.07%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Granatelli vs MAF Ends vs Descreened Stock vs Bone Stock

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 07:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corvet786c
I have descreened my stock MAF and ported stock ends. I did this mod on all my LS1 cars since year 2000 when installuniversity.com had this first mod. NO PROBLEMS. I was very careful when I ported the ends just like they said. I had car tuned and dynoed after all this and my afr was 12.8-13.1 up to 6000 rpms. I think it is a great free mod with more air flow. IMO
I would like to ad that I did have a leaner afr at first dyno, but that was because I had a bad front O2 sensor. Got it fixed and car running great. Had car on tech 2 GM Dealer. All peramitors were normal. It is a great free mod IMO.
i followed install university to the "T" and i thought it made a difference, and like you i have not had a single problem, no lean issues here though. its been done here for two months.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is de-screened, and tuned appropriately for it. No issues at all.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
Mine is de-screened, and tuned appropriately for it. No issues at all.
likewise 5 years,tuned by Ion
Old 02-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

does anyone recommend airfoils? or should i just not waste my time and money?
Old 02-01-2009, 06:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My airfoil came with my 52mm TB. Although I understand the turbulence issue, I feel the price vs. any possible hp increase makes it not worthwhile.
IOW, I wouldn't pay for it but I'd install it if you were to give it to me.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
My airfoil came with my 52mm TB. Although I understand the turbulence issue, I feel the price vs. any possible hp increase makes it not worthwhile.
IOW, I wouldn't pay for it but I'd install it if you were to give it to me.
ive seen them on ebay for around $17 but the JET foil looks like it would move more air. I was thinking about buying the Jet one just cuz i was curious, i still am. But i guess ill just hold off and get some good subframe connectors
Old 02-01-2009, 09:07 PM
10 Second Club

Everything granatelli makes is crap.

I bought a maf, lowercontrol arms and a panhard bar from them.

All of it was chinese junk. The LCA were not welded correctly, the panhard broke, and I could tell the maf made my ls1 run like ****.

Do not buy anything from granatelli, everyone knows the sell junk.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

following what everyone else said the stock MAF is good up to about 500 hp. if you do descreen or get a new MAF you have to tune for it or it will mess up your air to fuel ratio. the best thing you can do is go down to auto zone and buy a can of MAF cleaner. did wonders for mine
Old 03-27-2009, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

http://dtcc.cz28.com/flow/index.htm

Going with a Z06 MAF and changing the tables with TC.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PoorMan
http://dtcc.cz28.com/flow/index.htm

Going with a Z06 MAF and changing the tables with TC.
Oh great.

It has been stated over and over again that the stock, screened MAF was good to over 500 HP. Clearly a 48mm TB is not good for 500 HP. So here we go again.

This information clearly states the stock MAF is a bottle neck regardless of TB size. Whats it gonna be this time around?
Old 03-27-2009, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Oh great.

It has been stated over and over again that the stock, screened MAF was good to over 500 HP. Clearly a 48mm TB is not good for 500 HP. So here we go again.

This information clearly states the stock MAF is a bottle neck regardless of TB size. Whats it gonna be this time around?
No proof, stop spreading this old rumor.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:06 PM
TECH Regular

went through this great debate with myself just recently, one day i decided hey i got a couple extra hours of free time i think ill port my MAF well idiot me bent a wire cutting out the black plastic center pieces and viola! car wouldn run with the MAF plugged in. from here i purchased an SLP MAF and viola! again stupid choice car ran like crap with that so i went to my tuner and he hooked me up with new electronics for my stock ported ends(which btw are pretty BA as smooth as a cylinder wall, simple to do also) and then mr tuner shows me this drawer he has of MAFs off of customers cars its got granatellis slps jetts all the ones you will see in summit or jegs etc... basically several of his customers have bought them for their ls1's not knowing that they all suck when compared to the stock unit, basically all they do is lie to the computer so it thinks its right when it isn. but anyways mr tuner has built a collection of these over the years as ppl become disgusted with them and want to thro them away after spending a couple hundred dollars to do nothing to thier car.

summary: keep your stock MAF or go with SD tune aftermarket MAFs are a waste and will get you nowhere
Old 03-27-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Regular

and as for the installuniversity proted maf you can do a much better job than these guys did if you use the right tools, idk if it was just the picture or what but theirs looked like poop, i used the same tools as them as far as the hacksaw and grinder but finished it off with a glaze breaker and it looks pretty dern good
Old 03-27-2009, 12:16 PM
TECH Regular

shoulda put this all in one post instead of reading a bit posting reading a bit posting sorry guys but with the note on the screened maf vs descreened maf gm themselves did away with the screen if that says anything and viewing it as a bottleneck i can see your angle on that but to alot of ppl its viewed more as an acceleration point, it is somewhat of a hold-up on airflow but not enough to hurt you till you get really serious with your engine. also the Holden with the ls1 in australia doesn even run a maf cuz barometric pressures dont change as durastically as it does up here and it isn necessary
Old 03-27-2009, 02:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wolfen
does anyone recommend airfoils? or should i just not waste my time and money?

i noticed a better acceleration with the airfoil, especially in the 2000-4000 rpm,,,not bad for $60
Old 04-08-2009, 06:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default MAF's

I can tell you that I have tested MAFs, Not what I heard, Not what I "think" but actual results, Car on the Dyno had a stock MAF, this was a usual bolt on cam car, tuned it with the stock MAF then De-screened it, keeping the same MAF in order to rule out all anomalies. Air Fuel went 1 Point leaner, Tuned it to the correct A/F, 1 Horsepower gain, but this can be anything, engine cooling down, just the % factor. Next installed a Z06 MAF, had to download the Z06 Tables was very hard to tune, afterwards, same HP readings, Went to a Granetelli MAF ends, Actually lost HP, even after tuning. The last was I believe an SLP MAF, same results, No HP gains. All MAF's sans the De-screened had idle issues at first until tuned, but after all the headaches for what, No gains. I will not tune a car with ported MAF's, Not saying it cannot be done but for me it is not worth the time an effort for nothing. A lot of people will de-screen or put MAF ends on and "ThinK" they feel more power, But of course there are some that actually make power, or they say. No two cars are the same so take it from here, Oh by the way my stock MAF on my Forced Inducted LT1 made 722 RWHP on the Fast Gas, Maxing it out? hmmmmm. The Debate goes on.............
Old 04-08-2009, 07:26 AM
Staging Lane

I descreened my stock MAF because for one when i bought the car i new nothing about it and 2 the screen was black as coal so i took it off...got to talking to some people and they said it could throw my air readings off and that now it could be faulty...so still not knowing at the time i went ahead and paid 300 for a new granatelli MAF and it threw the calibration way off..it says 40% more air flow and that may be true but it wont read it right until you get a tune..at least thats the way mine was..my buddys stock ls1 still has the screen on and blows my doors off...i reccommed a stock MAF lol
Old 04-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Staging Lane

Default granatelli mafs do work great

i just put one on my 97 z28 and its loves it ,my car runs perfect !!!!!!!
Old 04-08-2010, 06:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by superstu23
i just put one on my 97 z28 and its loves it ,my car runs perfect !!!!!!!
Lol...this thread was started like 2 or 3 years ago...good to know at least sumbody hasnt had an awful experience with Granatelli! I know after the horror stories I've heard I'll probably never buy from them!
Old 04-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

Default granatelli maf

well i tried to do some research before buying one of the granatelli sensors but it seems half the people that have something to say about them have never used them !

Quick Reply: Granatelli vs MAF Ends vs Descreened Stock vs Bone Stock