LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

water pump drive seal

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 03:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default water pump drive seal

Got a question,I got my 95 LT1 out of My 62 Nova cleaning it , installed different heads ,bigger cam , upon re -assembling the engine I have torn the initial Gray part of the waterpump driveshaft seal , it is a double seal , the shaft is a new unit , no burs on it. I checked it when Iwas installing the 2nd seal ,tore the gray seal out of it again , yellow outside seal is fine , anyone else had this happen , I have assembled several engines and never seen any thing quite like this .Any time I install aseal over a metal objet or insomething into a seal, I always lube with a real fine grase or oil , Like I say there is no burs on the shaft . If anyone has encounterd this I sure appreciate any input ,I can only get this seal in Felpro timing chain cover kit ,and it is getting pricy Thanks ....Tim
Old 03-25-2005, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

you can get the seal individually through your dealer or Dal. My friend made a little tool to install them so we don't tear them.

Matt
Old 03-25-2005, 03:24 PM
Teching In

Great ,I'd sure be interested what the tool looks like. The first time I installed it the timing chain cover was off , The second time I put it on the timing cover was installed . I have never seen anything so touchy to intall. I put it on as straight as possible and then tapped it into place with a oversized deep socket .....Tim
Old 03-25-2005, 03:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're having trouble installing the seal without tearing it on the waterpump driveshaft, correct?

1) Go pick up a new seal.

2) Sand down the smooth side of the waterpump coupler that you took off.

3) Beer + Pizza.

4) Slip the new waterpump seal onto the coupler (dab of engine oil helps).

5) Slip the coupler/seal onto the waterpump driveshaft sticking out of timing cover

6) Use a 3/4" deep socket OVER the coupler to hammer the seal into the timing cover.

Dont forget to use a little bit of oil on the wp driveshaft to help the seal slip into place, and install a new o-ring between the coupler once it's installed (I use a sharpie pen-cap to help slide on the o-ring)...

I can get you GM part numbers if you need, but something as simple as a timing cover seal should probably be picked up at a local autoparts store. No sense in ordering it and paying for/waiting on shipping. Just keep the spare seals for the future, imho...
Old 03-25-2005, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

they only sell the seal at the parts store w/ the whole front timing gaskets. I think from Felpro it's around $25 a pop for everything.

Matt
Old 03-25-2005, 10:04 PM
Teching In

You just described how I put it on the 2nd time , minus the beer and pizza ,the felpro kit is $14.85 , just bought 1 this morning , I used 1ooo grit paper on the shaft coming out of the cover, that was the 2nd torn one ,I did not know about the "O" ring between the seal and shaft though , I bought this engine 3 years ago in many piece's ,I've just have to make it as I go it wasn't assembled.It has ran great in stock form for the past couple of years , but I had a seal problem with before and refuse to put it back together If you got seperate GM, # I will see if I can get it at the dealer ship seperate next week ...............Tim
Old 03-27-2005, 11:20 PM
Launching!

most flustrating thing ive ever done and costly for what it was.

gas used for 2 trips to advance = 5.00 dollars
6 pack of bud light = 6.00 dollars
3 seals = 45.00 dollars
no more oil leak = priceless

HAHA use the coupler advice it good stuff.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:13 AM
Banned

<---- has an electric water pump for sale...

Quick Reply: water pump drive seal