Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all great things to know lol thanks guys
Old 09-07-2011, 09:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jaycenk
Long story short version.
Got a spare LT1 and took it to an engine shop, told him the crank rods pistons where toast, I want a 383 to make 400 rwhp. Told him no Eagle or scat cast stuff. Got it back months later with a cast crank and -16 pistons in it for a N/A set up lol. Never again. I will find a proven builder next time that I can see some results from befor hand. lol Lloyd helped me out with some shaved heads but still not what I want. New engine slated for 2013.
I take it you didn't have to sell the car in the end? How did your daughter's surgery go?

Don't forget the people I gave you contact info for, there is def. knowledgeable people locally.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camar0corey
I take it you didn't have to sell the car in the end? How did your daughter's surgery go?

Don't forget the people I gave you contact info for, there is def. knowledgeable people locally.
She did great. She is back to being a big PITA. Didn't sell the car might be building the engine over again in a year or 2. In the mean time I'm just gonna run what I got and hope it holds together and start working on the other issues like trans, rear, interior, and paint. then I may do a 355 blower or just a good old fashion 383 N/A that I can put more then a baby cam in.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Vendetta
I really don't have a problem with Flowmaster catbacks on bolt-on cars. I think they sound awesome. However, they aren't stainless steel and don't flow nearly as well as other catbacks will for the same price. The real benefit of the Flowmaster catback is the sound, they definitely sound great.

Hypertech Power Programmer III is basically useless. Nobody ever gains much power out of it, and for around $300 it's not justifiable.

Catbacks are good. You like catbacks . A cat-back exhaust is a set of wider-diameter exhaust piping from your catalitic converter back. Most Cat-back Exhausts will contain an intermediate pipe, muffler, and tips. There are some other unique setups (the SLP Loudmouth uses a resonator instead of a muffler, the GMMG uses a pair of resonators to simulate a true-dual exhaust) but the majority of catbacks out there include these parts. Run a search or check out some vendors over there ==> for pics if you need them.
I disagree with you that Hypertech is useless. I think they are useful for someone that is getting a car that they have very little intention of doing anything but BASIC bolt ons with it. It is nice for someone that changes rim size and messing with rev limits and the like. I agree, they are overpriced, but they do have thier uses. We cannot assume that everyone is trying to drop the cash and time to add massive amounts of HP. Of course if you are adding massive amounts of HP and doing more complicated work on your car, then a Hypertech is about as useful as a paper mache *****... Just saying.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 506 Likes on 203 Posts

Worst for me was taking my DD to the track, but look on the Brightside I got the Heads and cam I wanted plus a new motor to go with it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 06-27-2012, 06:58 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

1. Spending $100 on a Magnaflow high-flow cat ---- still sitting in my closet, JUST DO ORY

2. Spending $120 on an LS1 aluminum driveshaft ---- still sitting in my garage, THICK AS A SODA CAN, LOTS OF HORROR STORIES

3. Spending $400 on a Magnaflow Catback, $35 on a cutout, and $170 on a QTP cutout motor,($600 total) when I could have bought a miller welder and fabbed my own true duals for the same amount, and kept the welder

4. Buying a stock replacement clutch $325 when I could have bought a Competition Clutches stage 2.5 or 3 for $250 or something else stronger than stock for comparable price.

5. Buying the Ebay cold air intake $75 (the add says COOL SUCKING SOUND as one of the features) ----- LS1 lid is cheapest and most horsepower

6. Buying emissions long tube headers, JUST DELETE THAT CRAP FROM THE START

7. Not double checking after my wife helped me put on my plug wires that they wernt touching the primaries, 2 plug boots burned later....

8. Not zip tying my plug wires up and away from the serp belt, 1 plug wire later....

9. Doing plugs and wires before doing long tubes, took 6 hours with stock exhaust, 30 minutes with LTs.

10. Not changing my clogged heater core 5 years ago, ITS NOT HARD

11. Parking my car on the street at college, got keyed, antenna bent down, and mirror kicked off

12. Buying all season tires with the intent to drive in the snow, IT DOESNT WORK!!!!

13. Not realizing you need to pull out the clutch fork to disconnect the tranny from the motor, took about 3 hours to figure that out

14. Using Royal Purple (still blame my first motors failure on this), --PP, mobil 1, Castrol Edge, any other synthetic is better for your motor and cheaper.

15. Last but not least, not saving up 1 more year to JUST BUY A DAMN LS1!!!!

Last edited by bufmatmuslepants; 06-29-2012 at 05:54 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

No organization as far as bolts and parts. Stripped everything for my swap and takes forever to find anything or the correct bolts
Old 10-16-2016, 11:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Do it right the first time!

1-if ur fbody is ur dd and u want to work on it. Make sure you have 4x the amount of time to do the work. Too many times I needed the car and it was torn apart
2- take your time, don't rush EVER. Rebuilt my rear end nice and slow, rushed to get the pinion seal and nut tight. Then got it all together and filled with fluid which started pouring from the pinion, I had the wrong seal, wasted money on the seal plus 1.5 quarts of expensive gear oil, plus alot of time taking it back apart to install new crush sleeve and all that crap....pain!!

3- this one is my favorite, if you disconnect the coolant lines, PUT THEM BACK IN THE RIGHT SPOTS. I swaped my resovoir line with the other small one....took me weeks to figure out my overhearing problem, brought it to firestone and they told me my headgasket was blown and quoted me 4k. This was like 3 weeks after I bought the car, luckily I Googled my *** off till I finally figured it out, Thanks shbox.
4- take t tops off car before installing t top shades. I ruined my pristine headliner that way.

Hmm what else.....

5-when cleaning your intake with papertowels, really check it before you put it back on....I left a paper towel in the curve of the intake which got sucked into the maf and stalled the motor....insanely lucky it didn't make its way into the motor.

6-RESEARCH, I know it's been said alot already but you can't stress this one enough, research anything, alot, when I did my t56 swap, I probly researched for about 20 hours total, it paid off because I knew what I was doing already.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:29 AM
On The Tree

Oh man so many things I could list here but... oh the shame ........

1. If you are going to outsource work, make sure you work with a shop who GIVES A **** about your project. If they're too busy to treat you right or treat you like you're a problem or nuisance for them, find someone who actually wants the job.

2. OBD1 sucks horribly.

3. Should have gotten a car with an LS engine in it a lot sooner

Quick Reply: Newbie Mistakes