LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Pissed Off

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pissed Off

So I put the stroker back together and went to start it and it wont start which i think might be fuel but besides that Im getting a knock... Not like a rod knock but more like a piston to valve but I dont think its that either.. Im just so frustrated with it guys...I dont even want it anymore I just put new ford 9 inch and mcleod street twin and so many nice parts and I just want it to run after all this work...I wont sell it ever but I really want to
Old 04-05-2005, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry dude. Don't break it trying to fix it. Step back and have a couple of cold ones.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BBQLS1
Sorry dude. Don't break it trying to fix it. Step back and have a couple of cold ones.

Yea, take it from me. I burnt a valve and I got pissed during the dissassembly becasue I couldnt figure out why the head was loose, but wouldnt lift off the block. So I got a prybar (not thinking due to pissed off state) and tryed to pry the head up a bit. Next thing I heard was CRACK......the back corner of my bored and stroked block cracked off because I missed one of the head bolts (loose, but not out). Ohhhhh.....that was the worst feeling EVER working on a car. 1500 dollars later for a new clearanced block, gaskets, and bearings I was on the road again. So, the lesson I learned was STOP and think.

So, if you are ever upset with your car, think of that story and you wont feel so upset anymore!
Old 04-05-2005, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

its just that the only difference with the car then from before is the short block and the cam so theres no reason why it shouldnt start unless my ebay 30lb injectors arent working right and I dont have a tester to ohm em out
Old 04-06-2005, 07:39 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 97M6Formula
its just that the only difference with the car then from before is the short block and the cam so theres no reason why it shouldnt start unless my ebay 30lb injectors arent working right and I dont have a tester to ohm em out
Where did you get your injectors? I bought my 30 lb injectors from "midwest mustang" off of ebay. 3 out of the 8 were JUNK. I checked them with a pulse tester to watch pressure drop and they werent firing at all! My car started, but ran like junk. They sent me 3 replacements, which were "red top" injectors, but they were the ford straight-6 cylinder red tops.....rated at like 19 lb/per hr or whatever. From there, I just got an f*** you on the phone and they refused to help me any further. I got totally scammed out my 130 bucks. If thats where you got your injectors, I would bet they are junk.........

Last edited by N20LT4Bird; 04-06-2005 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

its not the injectors it is something to do with my timing or my opti the car just keeps backfiring when i try to start it
Old 04-06-2005, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have no idea why, but mine did the same thing, I got a fuel pressure guage, and lowered the PSI to the injectors, which much have been locked up, and it started and ran, like ****, till I changed the plugs to autolites, it hated the NGKs... In the mean while I still got high RPM missing and popping im hoping opti #3 this week takes care of. But anywho if you have an AFPR make sure its not set to high.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah im on opti 3 right now and hoping number 4 would be a quick fix but im really not sure
Old 04-06-2005, 04:40 PM
Staging Lane

is the cam dial pin in the right place in the opti. it will do nothing but backfire if it is in the wrong spot. did this to me and pissed me of for hours trying to figure it out. Good luck.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey did it still fit flush though when you put it in thew wrong hole? I thought that the hole its suppose to go in is deeper than the others
Old 04-06-2005, 05:52 PM
Teching In

hey did it still fit flush though when you put it in thew wrong hole? I thought that the hole its suppose to go in is deeper than the others
yes it will fit flush if installed 180 degrees off, take it all apart if unsure, get some pics of one installed correctly off the internet somewhere....make sure yours matches a correctly installed opti....it does have the symptoms of an incorrect opti...good luck
Old 04-06-2005, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

if it was installed 180 degrees off wouldnt the opti be upside down though

Old 04-06-2005, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

damn thats a wierd setup on those things, I still dont understand 'em, shoulda stuck with the splines imho
Old 04-07-2005, 08:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RossB
yes it will fit flush if installed 180 degrees off, take it all apart if unsure, get some pics of one installed correctly off the internet somewhere....make sure yours matches a correctly installed opti....it does have the symptoms of an incorrect opti...good luck

There is only one hole large enough to accept the dowel on the back of the opti.......you would have to force the dowel rod into a hole that is too small to install the opti in any other position that the right position. It would be pretty hard to screw it up.

The cam could be installed incorrectly, of course.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah but the cam is installed 0 up dot to dot so I know thats it...I honestly just think the opti is bad, because it is hard to install that wrong
Old 04-08-2005, 09:47 AM
Staging Lane

yeah but the cam is installed 0 up dot to dot so I know thats it...I honestly just think the opti is bad, because it is hard to install that wrong

You cant install the opti in the wrong position. So, if its an opti problem, then its probably a junk opti.....
Old 04-08-2005, 10:22 AM
Teching In

I know this may sound dumb and I dont know a ton about the LT1 but had one for awhile. When I did my LT install I crossed some of the plug wires when i reinstalled them and all it did when i tried to crank was backfire like crazy. Im sure you have them on there right but just a thought.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah I triple checked em with my buddy following them to each plug but that would have made sense too
Old 04-08-2005, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh the lovely opti crap we love to HATE! I had similar problems with mine as it would start to back fire while driving every now and then, my ses light went bonkers, and that was indication of a mis-fire as well. You can laugh at this as I have, we took the motor apart twice! 2 1/2 months later and it was the opti the WHOLE time, we cleaned it the first time, and made sure it was in correctly, and when I started the car uuggghhhggg the mis-fire was worse, like the car had an upgraded cam, shaking and mis-firing, that was a sad day indeed. To think the opti can cause all those problems....lesson learned if this ever happens again, and this is opti #3 for me as well. BARF!

Greenfire
Old 04-08-2005, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Once I get a damn day off then I can go gremlin hunting under my hood

Quick Reply: Pissed Off