LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

question about optispark, tia

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 09:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about optispark, tia

hey, this is my first post ever on ls1tech. i have been reading the site for a long time now, just never registered.

i am in the market for an LT1 equipped car. I found one that is an A4 and has 47,000 miles. i did a search on optispark and read a ton of information. before i go test drive this car i was wondering how common the optispark problem is. By reading the threads in my search one would come to the conclusion that all LT1's engines will sooner or later have a faulty optispark. I I see tons of LT1's on the street and i just cant imagine how everyone can keep driving them knowing that their optispark is not very reliable.

Is it garunteed that all LT1's will have a bad optispark.

I am not a gear head and i cant be fixing something all the time.

thanks for any responses. i know this topic has been beat to death but it just seems like i need more information on this.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02ls1cs
hey, this is my first post ever on ls1tech. i have been reading the site for a long time now, just never registered.

i am in the market for an LT1 equipped car. I found one that is an A4 and has 47,000 miles. i did a search on optispark and read a ton of information. before i go test drive this car i was wondering how common the optispark problem is. By reading the threads in my search one would come to the conclusion that all LT1's engines will sooner or later have a faulty optispark. I I see tons of LT1's on the street and i just cant imagine how everyone can keep driving them knowing that their optispark is not very reliable.

Is it garunteed that all LT1's will have a bad optispark.

I am not a gear head and i cant be fixing something all the time.

thanks for any responses. i know this topic has been beat to death but it just seems like i need more information on this.

Sooner or later every car needs a new cap and rotor But its a safe bet to say sooner or later your gonna be changing your opti-spark.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have over 80K of hard racing and daily driving on mine and it is fine. I eventually went with Delteq but the opti was still running great.

There are problems inherent in the design and sooner or later you'll most likely have to swap it out but there are several people sticking with the opti who are running high HP setups without problems.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

make sure there is no hesitation off the line and no ignition break up at high rpms those are the two most common problems other than it just not starting
Old 04-17-2005, 10:58 PM
Teching In

i have never heard of Delteq what is that. do you have a link i could do some reading on??
Old 04-18-2005, 01:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

www.delteq.com www.elitesparkplugs.com
Old 04-18-2005, 06:00 AM
Teching In

I have 157,000 miles on mine and there is no sign of it going out yet!!!
There are many more that have more miles than mine too.
It mybe due to how well the car is maintained and or how well someone can diagnose the problem. The Opti usually gets blamed for everything.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:42 AM
Teching In

thanks for all the replies, i have a better idea of where im at with his now

Quick Reply: question about optispark, tia