LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Machinist on crack?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ricknbird350
you cant bolt ls1 head on an lt1 they are a completly different setup the head disign was changed alot...id like to see him do that to you car...
He might have been talking about the first Gen sbc Vortech heads that came on most the late 90's chevrolet trucks. A guy thats local to my area said he can take a set of those and make them out flow just about any thing on the market. they will work on the Lt1 block you just have to mod it to fit the intake.

bottom line is this Guy sounds like he knows just enough to be dangerous.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:12 AM
TECH Junkie

i think the machinist was on more than crack... meth/coke/acid/X/weed
Old 05-05-2005, 12:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BOTTLEDZ
He might have been talking about the first Gen sbc Vortech heads that came on most the late 90's chevrolet trucks. A guy thats local to my area said he can take a set of those and make them out flow just about any thing on the market. they will work on the Lt1 block you just have to mod it to fit the intake.

bottom line is this Guy sounds like he knows just enough to be dangerous.
You have to do more than mod the intake, you also have to convert them to the reverse cooling setup.
As for out flowing an LT1 head, thats debatable as the vortech heads are based on the LT1 iron head design and flow about the same.

ZcarGuy
Old 05-05-2005, 12:13 PM
12 Second Club

Aluminum LS1 "vortec" Heads

God this guys is a freaking moron
Old 05-05-2005, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by zcarguy
You have to do more than mod the intake, you also have to convert them to the reverse cooling setup.
As for out flowing an LT1 head, thats debatable as the vortech heads are based on the LT1 iron head design and flow about the same.

ZcarGuy
Whats up with the
As far ar the vortec heads being based on the lt1 head Well then no wonder why they won't just bolt on!
Old 05-05-2005, 01:31 PM
12 Second Club

Whats up with the
As far ar the vortec heads being based on the lt1 head Well then no wonder why they won't just bolt on!
Because they are not machined for reverse cooling.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:39 PM
12 Second Club

rofl. Everything that dude said was wrong.. just so.. so.. wrong.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

I would go back, kick him in the nuts, and call it a day.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:05 PM
Staging Lane

Whats up with the
The was for the statement that you could bolt the vortec heads to an LT1 and all you've got to do is mod for the intake. Before making statements like that you should research the subject. You bolt vortec heads on an LT1, start it up and in no time you'll burn up the engine because no coolant is flowing through it.

The vortec intake, exhaust and combustion chamber designs are based on the iron LT1 head (which flows better than the aluminum head BTW). Thats why I made the statement about the vortec head being based on the iron LT1 head, not because they are fully compatible with each other. The same thing as stated above goes for bolting LT1 heads to a standard SBC. You do that, start it up and pretty soon it'll overheat big time because no coolant is flowing.

ZcarGuy
Old 05-05-2005, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, every single thing the dude told you is completely wrong. Unbelievable.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

DAAAAAMN!!!!!!
I just read through this thread and could not believe this.
I have been working with cyl heads for many years and have done my share of porting. Dude, I would go back and kick this guys ***. But the truth is, there are so many of these guys out there, it's unreal. My profession requires me to move every couple of years and everytime I move I have to find new, reputible shops. I run into alot of this stuff. If you talk to enough ppl, you will get pros and cons for EVERY shop out there.
Zcarguy, you da man. I'm glad someone pointed out about the iron head being the preceding design for the vortech.
My suggestion would be mail order. You have no one close so your stuck with mail order. Plus, places like Patriot, LE, etc. You're getting high quality products.
Go back and tell this "machinist" all the car lover world says he's a f^(kin MORON.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There are a lot of people with careers in the automotive feild that don't know jack. It is just a job to them and too few people take pride in their work these days, combine that with the lack of true knowledge among enthusiasts and the weeds never get sorted out. Most of that guys customers probably do a cam at the same time as the heads, he could spend lots of time and not improve flow then when they people get a power boost from bolting in the cam and on the heads they think they did OK, when all of the power may have come from the cam, they don't know.
When I go to the race track be it dirt oval or drags I am amazed at how little most of the people know, even guys that assemble their own motors. I know a guy that used to run a single digit drag car then dirt track cars for a combined time of over 20 years and assembled a lot of his own engines and he tried to tell me that on the 383 in his sons dirt track car they increased the stroke by using longer rods! I try not to talk cars with him anymore, our wives are good friends though so it is hard to avoid.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:13 PM
TECH Regular

All I have to say is WOW!!! That guys an idiot. He needs to be working on anything that does NOT have a motor, maybe pine wood derby cars or shopping carts.....
Old 05-10-2005, 09:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Here in WI though some of the shopping carts are motorized. Festival Foods has one with a sbc in it complete with zoomy headers and all, it is like 10 foot tall.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:42 PM
Staging Lane

Old 05-11-2005, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

LOL Maybe HIS heads never made 400 RWHP on a stock bottom end LT1. I like how stalls dont help, I mean they only throw you into your torque curve/peak. Shoulda asked him how much he'd charge for a muffler bearing change and some blinker fluid.

Quick Reply: Machinist on crack?!