LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

p0300 code; Random missfire...needs opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p0300 code; Random missfire...needs opinions

Whats up guys. I went and checked my ses codes tonight during class, and i got a p0300 code which is a random missfire??? What could cause this? Could it be the opti(which is stock) the coil (MSD blaster coil) or anything else? I have NGK TR6 plugs, and OVC wires (taylor) My question is this, what is the most common problem from this code? I can feel the car kind of miss if i take it easy through the power band, its not BAD, but i can feel it somewhat, sometimes. I haven't gotten a tune yet, but i had this problem even before i put the heads and cam in, i just thought it was the stock heads that i had crossthreaded the plug....but apparently not. Any and all input would be nice. Thanks guys...-Dave
Old 05-10-2005, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

anything can cause it. plugs, wires, opti, coil, injetcors, fuel pressure etc etc etc. Since you have headers make SURE that you didn't burn a wire. After that check fuel pressure and see what you get. It is "possible" to get this code from an untuned camed motor but since you "feel" a miss then I doubt it.

Question. Why did you use the TR6 plugs? Nitrous?
Old 05-10-2005, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

hey you will get p0300 if you have a cam like 90 percent of the time as long as you arent getting a misfire code for an indovidual cylinder you're most likely fine, unless the car is running like complete crap but on my old 224/230 i use to get that code all the time.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Pop the hood at night and look under there at the wires where they come closest to the primaries. If you don't see any sparks at idle (which I bet you will) have somebody rev it to the RPM where you feel the miss. You probably have a burned wire or boot and this will show you which one. If no sparks at all, I would look at the coil. Is power falling off at high RPMs?
Old 05-10-2005, 02:07 PM
Launching!

a random misfire shouldn't be a wire, injector, or plug. because that would be a cylinder specific. you gotta look at group items, fuel pressure, intake leak, maf, fuel rail, fuel pump, coil, opti, tps
Old 05-21-2005, 12:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HBHRacing
anything can cause it. plugs, wires, opti, coil, injetcors, fuel pressure etc etc etc. Since you have headers make SURE that you didn't burn a wire. After that check fuel pressure and see what you get. It is "possible" to get this code from an untuned camed motor but since you "feel" a miss then I doubt it.

Question. Why did you use the TR6 plugs? Nitrous?
sorry its been a little bit before i could post, my school wont let people on fourms anymore, so i had to wait till i got to my friends to respond.

-Yes I do have nitrous, thats y i have the TR6 plugs.
-second, i dont feel the power just fall off at high RPMS, it just kinda studders for a second, then its fine. It may studder like 2 times a gear?? but only if im pushing it, or if i take it in like 2nd gear and slowly take it up the RPMS i can feel it jumping. Thanks guys, David.
Old 05-21-2005, 12:40 AM
Launching!

hows the tune on that thing
Old 05-21-2005, 01:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cam cam cam

tuning tuning tuning

that code should be tuned off in the tune with the cam you have.

I am running the same cam on a 97 PCM ,Slow as it may be, no problems
Old 05-21-2005, 02:01 AM
TECH Junkie

mine used to throw that code, when i had the TR6 plugs in there.... One of them had a crack in it and ran like $hit.... I ended up changing the opti (thinking that was the problem) and NOPE... so i changed the plugs; ended up being a crack in one of the plugs.... NO MORE NGK's 4 ME....
Old 05-21-2005, 11:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK #07
mine used to throw that code, when i had the TR6 plugs in there.... One of them had a crack in it and ran like $hit.... I ended up changing the opti (thinking that was the problem) and NOPE... so i changed the plugs; ended up being a crack in one of the plugs.... NO MORE NGK's 4 ME....

Been running NGK plugs for over 20 years now. Can't blame them if they get cracked on install
Old 05-21-2005, 08:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Been running NGK plugs for over 20 years now. Can't blame them if they get cracked on install
Kind of hard to crack a plug when its the easiest one to install/remove... It was plug #3.... but then again they could have been dropped by the guys at O'reilys... anyways, had bad luck with them
Old 05-22-2005, 02:04 PM
Launching!

Guys, i just got done with a major exhaust install (among other things) yesterday (new headers, new catback, descreened MAF, pcmforless tuned pcm, 160* therm, TB bypass... the car is new to me now) And mine is throwing this same code 0300, it's almost like it's running on 7 cylinders, but i don't for sure. M question is how do i test for what is wrong since this isn't a cylinder specific code? Should i assume that becuase it's throwing this code, it isn't a specific wire, plug, injector etc.?
Old 10-12-2015, 04:03 PM

Exclamation I need help 0p300

So if anyone has had this problem can you please tell me what it is?. i do have headers? i dont Know if a wire is burnt but were should i start to look? first time owner dont Know Much .I had to replace my water pump a few months back,so idk if maybe the distributor got wet and that's the problem or if its the sensors.I just dont know.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Yep, been running those crap plugs on a 800+ horsepower car for 15 years...

Quick Reply: p0300 code; Random missfire...needs opinions