LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Exhaust ideas

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 05:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Exhaust ideas

Alright how about this, i dont see how your getting much, if any performance gains with short tube headers. The whole concept is, pipes of equal length, with minimul bends. So how about this idea.I have a 97 Ramair Formula. I use long tube hookers with the air, and 02 sensors, an off road 3 inch Y pipe, a 3 inch high flow cat, a 3 inch intermediate pipe with 02 sensor bung welded in, and does any body know if someone makes a cat back with 3 inch in, and 2 - 3 inch outs? This should be a legal exhaust system, with the least bit of restriction.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jclark3
Alright how about this, i dont see how your getting much, if any performance gains with short tube headers. The whole concept is, pipes of equal length, with minimul bends. So how about this idea.I have a 97 Ramair Formula. I use long tube hookers with the air, and 02 sensors, an off road 3 inch Y pipe, a 3 inch high flow cat, a 3 inch intermediate pipe with 02 sensor bung welded in, and does any body know if someone makes a cat back with 3 inch in, and 2 - 3 inch outs? This should be a legal exhaust system, with the least bit of restriction.
Errr...why not forget the O2 bung welded behind the cat and replace it with O2 simulators? Besides, there's two post-cat O2 sensors, not one, so you'd need two bungs (cost of 2 bungs welded in would probably equal the cost of a pair of O2 simms).

Just pick up long tubes, an offroad Y (such as the JH y-pipe), a high-flow cat, and a standard 3" catback. Dual 3" outs won't help any more than 2.5" outs.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well....what I would do, is get some LT headers, !AIR, 3" ory, and a magnaflow 3" catback. It's 3" all the way out I believe.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

The 2 outlets from the MagnaFlow muffler are 2.5" for the LT1 system, which still add up to more cross-sectional area than the single 3" inlet.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think pretty musc everyones cat back is a 3" its just a matter of does it kneck up or is it a full three inch. this will matter when making the y pipe fit to the cat back, thats about it.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:13 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=RamAir95TA]Errr...why not forget the O2 bung welded behind the cat and replace it with O2 simulators? Besides, there's two post-cat O2 sensors, not one, so you'd need two bungs (cost of 2 bungs welded in would probably equal the cost of a pair of O2 simms).

Just pick up long tubes, an offroad Y (such as the JH y-pipe), a high-flow cat, and a standard 3" catback. Dual 3" outs won't help any more than 2.5" outs.[/QUOTE

I should have looked under there, i thought there was only 1 02 sensor before the muffler. HEY THATS A MEAN CAM 95 TA. Where do you live? I am in Jackson.

Quick Reply: Exhaust ideas