LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Delteq mounting?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Delteq mounting?

it appears that i will have to get the delteq system earlier than i had expected. which mounting system would you say is better; the valve cover mount or the radiator mount? i do not drive the car in ran. or i drive as little as possible in the rain whenever the damn weather man is right in his predictions. i am just a little conserned mounting part of the ignition so low on the radiator. i lost my first OPTI-CRAP to a large puddle. figures that it is sealed enough to cause damage to the optical sensor but not sealed enough to keep water out. dam peace of ****. so what is your opinions?
Old 06-20-2005, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the valve cover mount. Once I get headers I am going to custom fab my own bracket and mount it on the center of the intake. Really either one will work. I just chose the VC mount cause it was a little more easy to get to..
Old 06-20-2005, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HBHRacing
I have the valve cover mount. Once I get headers I am going to custom fab my own bracket and mount it on the center of the intake. Really either one will work. I just chose the VC mount cause it was a little more easy to get to..
that makes sence. did it clear your strut tower brace? i have the BMR brace. it probably gives as much room as your Hotchkis does.
anyone else have a preference?
Old 06-20-2005, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

im fine with my radiator mount....its all up to you, its nice how i didnt have to take it off everytime i adjusted my rockers though....i dont know its all preferance
Old 06-21-2005, 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

I got the valve cover mount as well, and like it. Although some day I would like to make crafty cool spot for it, so people will be like......."WOW THATS A COOL SPOT TO MOUNT THE DELTEQ!"

LOL

Mike
Old 06-21-2005, 02:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Keep in mind that the Delteq setup is still driven by the optispark's optical signal / primary voltage (photo emitter/optical sensor/chopper wheel). Your car's computer still requires that optical signal to drive the fuel pump, fuel injectors, and to send the signal for the 'coil conversions' to run off of. If, by your first post, you were hinting that your optical portion of your optispark is dead, then you shouldn't expect any coil conversion to correct the problem. You'd still need to install a new optispark in that situation.

Contrary to Delteq's statements, I feel the "primary/low-voltage" / optical portion of the optispark fails just as often (if not more so) than the secondary 'high-voltage' side that their kit is supposed to remedy.

That being said, I also went with the valvecover mount. I wouldn't be so worried about water getting into the coil/module assembly -- everything is pretty well sealed. The valvecover mount does subject the assembly to excessive heat, which can also be hard on components -- but they do include a heat shield.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh -- and yes, the valvecover mount will clear a BMR STB without any problems. If you have traction control, or a valvecover breather of some sort on the driver's side valvecover, then that WILL become an issue.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

quick93, please decrease your signature banner to under the 500x150 pixel regulations. I PM'ed you about it but never received a response. Thanks
Old 06-21-2005, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Vendetta
quick93, please decrease your signature banner to under the 500x150 pixel regulations. I PM'ed you about it but never received a response. Thanks
sorry, whats PM'ed? i had a freind at work help me with the sig. i will reduce the size and email it to work tonight.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Z28SkillZ
im fine with my radiator mount....its all up to you, its nice how i didnt have to take it off everytime i adjusted my rockers though....i dont know its all preferance
that's a good point. someone else also metioned that a breather could be an issue. i plan on getting the sheetmetal style valve covers with a breather someday so that might wiegh my choice to the radiator.
Originally Posted by Alex94TAGT
Keep in mind that the Delteq setup is still driven by the optispark's optical signal / primary voltage (photo emitter/optical sensor/chopper wheel). Your car's computer still requires that optical signal to drive the fuel pump, fuel injectors, and to send the signal for the 'coil conversions' to run off of. If, by your first post, you were hinting that your optical portion of your optispark is dead, then you shouldn't expect any coil conversion to correct the problem. You'd still need to install a new optispark in that situation.
yes i know i will have to take care of the optical sensors as well. i just swore to myself that when this one went out i would do something to make sure that i would not need a 6th OPTI-CRAP.

Quick Reply: Delteq mounting?