LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Delteq or new Opti?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 01:19 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Delteq or new Opti?

Well, I have been planning on getting Delteq for a while now, but I'm starting to read horror story's about people losing power switching to delteq, so I'm second guessing it.

Should I go with Delteq or keep the Opti setup and just get a new Opti instead?
Old 07-01-2005, 06:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a dynaspark, I really haven't heard any horror stories about them.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Dynaspark is still the stock opti really. It functions the same way. I'm still working out the kinks in my Delteq. But I'm almost sure it's the opti (still uses the optical portion for a cam signal) and not the coils themselves. May look into the LTCC. Basically you buy this guy's little electronic box and you look through Ebay looking for the LS1 coils. Same idea as the Delteq.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have problems as well, but that doesn't mean anything. It could be the delteq or it might just be something about my car that it making it act up. That doesn't displace the fact that a ton of people have it and have no problems with it. I am one of the few with issues. I have only seen about 5 out of 100 that have problems. Most send it back without finding the problem. I am to **** for that, I want to find out exactly why so that I can help others if this happens to them.

try it, if worse comes to worse send it back.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:14 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What kind of problems have you heard of? I've had it over 1yr now w/ no problems. I know of the high end miss people speak of but I think that is opti related or alternator related possibly. Mine use to miss but then I discovered the alt was on it's last leg. Cured that problem.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a severe high RPM high load miss/backfire. Very severe poping. I have lost about .4 in the 1/4 that I can't get back. It's not the opti, it's not teh alt, it's not a fuel system issue, it's not the opti box. I have been through almost everything. These are the most common problems. The only other one that I have seen is a problem with spark arcing at the plugs, but hhe sent his back before he could find out why.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well im hoping thats my problem too, I run stock ignition still but since its a race car I took off all the belt driven stuff, and it misses at high rpm, im hoping its cause of the no alternator, cant find out till I get back from kuwait though.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SRZ
What kind of problems have you heard of? I've had it over 1yr now w/ no problems. I know of the high end miss people speak of but I think that is opti related or alternator related possibly. Mine use to miss but then I discovered the alt was on it's last leg. Cured that problem.
What exactly do you mean on its last leg? Was it about to go out? I have had the same alternator since I've had the car and I had the generator shop go through it last summer and they said it was ok. I can't really pinpoint when this miss started but I still have a few more things to try before I swap the opti. Voltage at WOT to my Delteq coils is 11.8. I hotwired the alternator to the coils and the miss was still there. Probably not the same problem you were having.....
Old 07-01-2005, 11:52 PM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Voltage regulator. The whole system was pulling voltage in the mid range rpm's and that played havoc w/ the delteq and everything else. Once that was replaced I was good to go. You could watch my voltage drop to 7v under load of any kind. Not enough voltage does a lot to pwr and countless other things you wouldn't believe.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Doesn't sound like I'm in that boat.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:15 PM
Launching!

With all the crap I have seen people go through trying to work out the "kinks" of their delteq, i said screw it and just bought another opti....the first one lasted for 112,xxx miles so i figured better off with that
Old 08-11-2005, 10:18 AM
TECH Regular

Well, just FYI ... I've run into "problems" with the delteq before that actually turned out to be of my own making. LT1's when modded are very VERY prone to having issues crop up (ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE UNCOATED HEADERS)

If you have full exhaust on your car, make sure you have no burned/scolded/exposed wires, as i'm sure this could cause the Delteq to act up. The LT1 electrical probably isn't the greatest thing ever invented so little wire scolding/scorching/exposing could have a ripple effect ....

just my $.02 ... but check the obvious problems before blaming the Delteq.... the Delteq is a wonderful piece of technology, and while it does iron out a good portion of the problems with the LT1 ignition system, the Delteq setup will by no means be your "miracle cure for the misfire"
Old 08-11-2005, 10:34 AM
Launching!

If you have the cash and know how to get the delteq in then I would say shoot for it....other than that you'd probably be better off with the new opti...make sure it's oem though...they're not as bad as people put on and honestly I don't know many people that would waste money aftermarket opti's and I haven't heard anything good about them anyways...
Old 08-11-2005, 10:51 AM
TECH Regular

with an aftermarket opti, you still run into the same old problem... the fact that the stupid thing sits on the FRONT of the engine! Exposed to all manner of crap from the road not to mention puddles! Nowadays I have no fear running through puddles because I dont have to worry about my opti taking a dump....

now the only thing i DO want is some kind of optispark splash-guard....
Old 08-11-2005, 10:57 AM
TECH Veteran

I just wanted to say that I replaced my optical and my Delteq setup revs all the way to 7000 with no misfiring. I love it. Now I just need to put my tranny in.......
Old 08-11-2005, 03:05 PM
TECH Regular

yeah, another vote for delteq