LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help with Fuel Injectors... what else do I need??

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 05:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help with Fuel Injectors... what else do I need??

bought 28# fuel injectors, but I'm not sure what else I need to do or buy before I install them.. also.. can I do this myself or do I have to get them done by a profesional.. and I've heard that they need to be calibrated or something like that... I still have my stock MAF sensor... do I need to get a bigger one for a 4# increase.. and I bought a Crane Ignition box.. will this help?

Any coments/answers will be appreciated thanks..
Old 07-03-2005, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just plug and play, unbolt the 4 fuel rail bolts, undo the fuel lines, pry up on each old injector untill it pops out of the intake, and swap... then tune the pcm.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:53 PM
Teching In

How do I go by tuning the PCM... I'm new at this.. so.. do I need to buy something like a computer programer or something like that?
Old 07-03-2005, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I use LT1 edit. www.carputing.com with a cable from camaroholic on the message board www.akmcables.com I think he also has a software tutorial on there. If you can tune a caburator and distributor, and are computer literate, you'll find LT1 edit super easy to use.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Honestly you have a couple months worth of reading to do before you mess around any more.
On some other vehicles the MAF can be used to tune but on this one where pcm access is so simple and cheap that is a VERY BAD idea.
On the injectors most of the 28# I am aware of are LS1 injectors and being such are rated at the LS1s intended fuel pressure which is HIGHER than the LT1s so in the end the 28# LS1 injectors are about the same size as stock or even a tad smaller.
Not to even mention the fact the stock injectors are fine till you get into fairly serious engine modifications as in at least a large cam or medium cam with good heads.
Aftermarket ignitions are about pointless until you have a poweradder like boost or nitrous.
Please don't be offended by my comments, when I first got into modifying late model cars I wasted a lot of money on a lot of crap among it a $400 Jabobs ignition which never did anything but destroy plugs and cause problems. Please do not just take my word keep doing some reading forums like this can be great sources of info you just have to weed through and figure out who is handing out good info and who thinks everything in a magazine is the best thing ever.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:26 AM
Teching In

that's why I came here.. cuz. I know I have some reading to do.. not trying to get too serious with it.... just want to get faster than the newer f-bodys... is it possible without changing the stock intake manifold and cams?? and for going from 24# stock fuel injectors to 28#.. will the PCM readjust to them by itself.. or is there anything else I might need to do?? thanks
Old 07-05-2005, 05:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What are the 28# off of though if off a LS1 like I think they are then they will be 24# in an LT1 again because injectors are rated at the pressure they will see in their intended application and the LS1s use higher fuel pressure. Run LS1 injectors at LT1 pressure and they are not 28# anymore.
Also there are two reasons to swap injectors to larger ones one being the old ones were too small seeing as the stockers are good into large cam or heads and cam territory, I will guess you don't need them for that reason. The other reason is failing stockers and just replacing them with something with room to grow. Larger injectors will not help make more power unless the ones they replace are faulty or too small. I know the aftermarket wants you to believe injectors make power but they are just trying to make sales.
If those injectors are 28# at the LT1s fuel pressure then they are like 15% larger and the pcm can not adapt to that amount you could potentially wash down the cylinders dilute the oil with fuel and destroy the bottomend. Even if the injectors are of the same rating at the same pressure but are a different brand then they should be programmed for because electrically the respond differently and the car will drive best and get best milage if that is accounted for.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:15 PM
TECH Junkie

any time you change from the stock size injector YOU NEED to get the pcm tuned.... that is all
Old 07-06-2005, 10:23 AM
Teching In

Thanks a lot for you help... I guess I can replace the fuel injectors. and get the PCM tuned for them by someone who knows how to.. ( not me ) I dont think there should be much of a problem in driving the car for a couple of miles prior to the PCM being tuned.. I got bigger injectors because I have reason to believe the stock ones are clogged or not good anymore.. and yes.. got bigger because I want to keep upgrading the car.. slowly but surely..

Quick Reply: Help with Fuel Injectors... what else do I need??