LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Bolt on help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 03:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bolt on help!

I have a 96ss with 44,000 mi. It is stock except for the borla exhaust on it. I have been reading post for sometime now, trying to figure out exactly what mods are producing the best results. Now I am ready to start buying my parts and getting them installed. I really could use some help on the particulars. I was planning to do a cam and torque converter first, followed by heads and long tubes. I would like to see some major gains, but this car will be driven on the street 95% of the time so I don't think i would like a super high stall or a super lopey cam.

From what I've read the mods Ive been thinking of buying are a cc306 cam, a 2800-3200 stall "I really need help with picking the brand". And for heads I was looking at the trick flows just because of the price and I don't have to send my heads off so my car will be down for less time.

I really need help and or information on these mods!

Thanks!!!!

PS. If I havent mentioned something that would help to you to guide me in the right direction just ask.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

You have the right idea by those parts you suggested. I would do the stall 2800-3200 and headers or gears. Than do the heads and cam. For a stall i went with a vigilante. They make a really good converter.

For headers i like the kooks setup. The cc306 with Lloyd Elliot Stage 2 heads would be a nice match.

Have fun with your build up.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely make sure you're running longtubes and a converter first, without the two you won't be able to make as good of use of the larger cam.

Last edited by Vendetta; 07-17-2005 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chevy94c
You have the right idea by those parts you suggested. I would do the stall 2800-3200 and headers or gears. Than do the heads and cam. For a stall i went with a vigilante. They make a really good converter.

For headers i like the kooks setup. The cc306 with Lloyd Elliot Stage 2 heads would be a nice match.

Have fun with your build up.
Thank you for your advice. The reason I was doing it the way I said Is because i figured It would be easier to in stall the headers and the heads at the same time.

can you tell me what the stock stall is in a 96? And what are the major differences between TCI Vigilante and Yank? I want the best for the money Not the most popular "name brand"

Also what kinda Idle will I have with the cc306?

And are those heads you mentioned better than the trickflows I was thinking of getting?

Thanks again!!!
Old 07-17-2005, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Vigilante and Yank are two of the best converters out there. They are consistent, durable, and perform well. Stock stall is somewhere around 1600 or whatever...someone who knows for sure post up please. Idle with the cc306 will have a decent chop, but it's very streetable. You will have to get a tune in order to get the maximum performance and driveability out of it. The heads referred to are better than the trickflows out of the box, but the trickflows have more potential (over 300cfm). The direction it sounds like you want to go with your car, that head isnt needed. FYI...the Lloyd Elliot heads are ported stock LT1 castings. If this was my car, I would get stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, and gears first. Then wait to do the LT's, Y-pipe, Heads and cam at once so down time is lessened and you wont have to deal with driving around on a bad tune for too long. Also, I would call up LLoyd Elliot to see what his turn around time is on and LE1/LE2 setup. Either one of these setups are cheaper than the cc306/trickflow setup and will make more HP. Just my .02.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jordan57
Vigilante and Yank are two of the best converters out there. They are consistent, durable, and perform well. Stock stall is somewhere around 1600 or whatever...someone who knows for sure post up please. Idle with the cc306 will have a decent chop, but it's very streetable. You will have to get a tune in order to get the maximum performance and driveability out of it. The heads referred to are better than the trickflows out of the box, but the trickflows have more potential (over 300cfm). The direction it sounds like you want to go with your car, that head isnt needed. FYI...the Lloyd Elliot heads are ported stock LT1 castings. If this was my car, I would get stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, and gears first. Then wait to do the LT's, Y-pipe, Heads and cam at once so down time is lessened and you wont have to deal with driving around on a bad tune for too long. Also, I would call up LLoyd Elliot to see what his turn around time is on and LE1/LE2 setup. Either one of these setups are cheaper than the cc306/trickflow setup and will make more HP. Just my .02.
I like your idea! i am going to call them. I see that they have 3 different stages. can you tell me what the Idle Is like on them? and between Yank vigilante and TCI stalls which on Is the tightest in the 2800-3200 range? also who makes the best LT's for the money?

Sorry I have so many questions. I just want to do my best to get this right the first time.

Thanks to everyone that has responded to my post please keep the advise coming!!!!
Old 07-19-2005, 01:33 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 3200 Vigi in my car, perfect on the street. Hold off on heads and cam and do all the bolt ons. Throw some Long Tubes on, 3200 stall, set of 3.73s and a set of roller rockers and that car will be deep in the 12s.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:21 AM
TECH Regular

best LT's for the money is probley hookers or jet hots. i love the way the cc306 sounds