LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Pic of my new project (LT4 w/ "E" victor intake etc)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 10:03 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=Tony Shepherd]Thanks Ed for the info...........Moe Bailey and I will be trying to get past that 7300 rpm mark. If not I guess FAST will have to work. What about a DFI kit? Will that work?

[QUOTE]

DFI will work, but I'm friends with one of the ownners of F.A.S.T., so if I changed mine over I really wouldn't want to run anything else. Don't know Moe Bailey if but if he is better at hacking code than I, he may find a way around it.

Good luck, Ed
Old 08-09-2005, 10:08 AM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by T/A KID
Hey Mr. Wright I live in Northeast Arkansas and I plan on getting my 396 single plain setup dyno tuned from you guys I think ya are about 4-5 hours from my house, but you guys are the best, BTW what do you'll charge for tuning?? Thanks fellows sorry for so many questions.
Don't think I'm supposed to post things like that since I'm not a sponser. Call us @ 918-446-3019. John can make you an appointment. I think we are only booked about four weeks out right now.

Thanks, Ed
Old 08-09-2005, 10:14 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tony just thought of something important how did you connect the Sensors to the 90TB like the TPS sensor, Map sensor, and the Throttle control cables, do you still have cruise control. I am just trying to figure it all out before My retarded self trys to attempt this, lol. Thanks man
The Super Vic is a little taller. You can get the conversion kits from Race Proven Motors as well. The IAC adapter, TPS, etc. The t-cable you can get from Lokar as well as a bracket. I do not have cruise control but you can get the cable and provisions from Lokar.

Oh yes...the Map sensor. You will just have mount the sensor and run a hard vaccum line to it. Or you can have the elbow modified and drilled for the map sensor to directly bolt on.

Last edited by Tony Shepherd; 08-09-2005 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Tony for the Websites I checked both of them out. I feel alot more comfortable doing the swap now. I thought the Super vic was a little taller, I suppose I am going to go ahead and go with the Victor JR. Tony did you have yours ported I wonder what CFM they can flow. I know a Ported LT4 flows in the 270 Range usually at best. I have heard 320+ from the Victor intakes. In my personal Opinion on a 383 or 396 with some nice set of heads 300CFM or better and a Nice custom grind HR setup to work with the single plain 500RWHP is achievable, were not even touching SR or aftermarket 15-18 degree castings.

Mr. Wright I should have everything completed by January, will be getting in touch with ya then. Thanks
Old 08-09-2005, 04:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Mr. Wright I live in Northeast Arkansas and I plan on getting my 396 single plain setup dyno tuned from you guys I think ya are about 4-5 hours from my house, but you guys are the best, BTW what do you'll charge for tuning?? Thanks fellows sorry for so many questions.
it will be worth the drive and time to come on over to get it tuned
Old 08-09-2005, 05:18 PM
9-Second Club

Thanks Tony for the Websites I checked both of them out. I feel alot more comfortable doing the swap now. I thought the Super vic was a little taller, I suppose I am going to go ahead and go with the Victor JR. Tony did you have yours ported I wonder what CFM they can flow. I know a Ported LT4 flows in the 270 Range usually at best. I have heard 320+ from the Victor intakes. In my personal Opinion on a 383 or 396 with some nice set of heads 300CFM or better and a Nice custom grind HR setup to work with the single plain 500RWHP is achievable, were not even touching SR or aftermarket 15-18 degree castings.

Mr. Wright I should have everything completed by January, will be getting in touch with ya then. Thanks
You can make 500 without all that. Mine is at 508 now with LT4 heads & intake, through an unlocked 4400 converter & 4.30 Moser 12 bolt. My heads intakes flow mid 270s with the manifold installed. Good bit of work inside the manifold. Still just using 2" & 1.56" valves. Pete at CNC Cylinder Heads in Florida did the heads & intake. If you are ever over this way, stop in and visit.

Take care, Ed
Old 08-09-2005, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow Mr. Wright that is VERY Impressive, do you think most of that power was in the dyno Tuning, and are you still HR or did you upgrade to a SR. There is a Guy with the screen name of Hot Rod Hawk over at camaroZ28.com that made 505 RWHP with a 355 A4 with a converted single plain, Ported LT1 heads, and HR camshaft, I think TQ was in the 450+ range can't fully remember. I think plenty power can be made with a LT4 intake but more optimum power (FOR THE AVERAGE GUY, LOL) the single plain is nice and hard to beat.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
You can make 500 without all that. Mine is at 508 now with LT4 heads & intake, through an unlocked 4400 converter & 4.30 Moser 12 bolt. My heads intakes flow mid 270s with the manifold installed. Good bit of work inside the manifold. Still just using 2" & 1.56" valves. Pete at CNC Cylinder Heads in Florida did the heads & intake. If you are ever over this way, stop in and visit.

Take care, Ed
ed you have e-mail
Old 08-09-2005, 05:54 PM
8 Second Club

The Victor E is based on the Victor jr. Not The Super Victor.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:59 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Z8'S
The Victor E is based on the Victor jr. Not The Super Victor.

No.....it is based off the super victor. (From what I have read and called Edlebrock about)

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...uper-vic.shtml

Look at the top of the page....this is the Super Victor category.

Chevrolet 262-400 Small-Block V8
SUPER VICTOR 4500 #2970 & #2971
Designed for small-block Chevys with 4500 Series carburetors and 23° heads, the Super Victor #2970 is for standard port locations and #2971 is for raised port heads. They have a large runner cross-sectional area (3.2 square inches) and highly efficient cloverleaf plenum design. In dyno tests on a 358-inch small-block, #2970 made 10 horsepower more than the best competitor's manifold!

Chevrolet 262-400 Small-Block V8
VICTOR E (4500-8500 rpm)
Ideal for high-rpm drag race applications, the Victor E has a larger and deeper plenum than the #2975 (victor Jr). It provides maximum power in the higher rpm range for engines with standard port location iron and aluminum heads. Runners have a tapered cross-section, and plenty of material at the manifold port exit allows port matching to the small port heads used in NHRA Super Stock classes. 1" or 2" spacers can be used for performance tuning. The large plenum and runner volume of this manifold is also ideal for alcohol-fueled applications. Victor EFI also available with electronic fuel injector bosses, see Street & Competition EFI Manifolds.

Last edited by Tony Shepherd; 08-09-2005 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:40 PM
8 Second Club

Hmmmmm Thats interesting Thanks Tony.I was told that it would be better to modify a Super Victor for better injector placement and less actual additional port work to acheive the results my combo was looking for.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:52 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Z8'S
Hmmmmm Thats interesting Thanks Tony.I was told that it would be better to modify a Super Victor for better injector placement and less actual additional port work to acheive the results my combo was looking for.

No prob man!

Thanks for all your help as well over the last month or so.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:03 PM
9-Second Club

Wow Mr. Wright that is VERY Impressive, do you think most of that power was in the dyno Tuning, and are you still HR or did you upgrade to a SR. There is a Guy with the screen name of Hot Rod Hawk over at camaroZ28.com that made 505 RWHP with a 355 A4 with a converted single plain, Ported LT1 heads, and HR camshaft, I think TQ was in the 450+ range can't fully remember. I think plenty power can be made with a LT4 intake but more optimum power (FOR THE AVERAGE GUY, LOL) the single plain is nice and hard to beat.
I know I'm really old, but please just call me Ed?

Imho, it's more in the heads and camshaft, machine work, etc. Ring seal is a bigger deal than the internet-trick-of-the-week camshaft. I'm kind of a ring seal freak. Not just anyboy (imo) can hone a block correctly. I'm lucky to have a good friend that can & does. I don't haul my blocks to all the way to Amarillo Texas because I enjoy the six hour drive each way. <G>

I do have a solid roller. Had a hydraulic in it originally, and didn't pick up as much as some like to claim when I changed to a solid. 8 to 10 ft lbs & about 15 peak hp. Ran almost 1/10th quicker. I like to run more valve spring than you would want to put on a hydraulic. Never slowed a car down with a lot of spring, sure tore a lot of crap up with too little.

I haven't tried a single plane intake. I saw where Steve Quinn (Very impressive car!!) said he didn't really run any quicker with his single plane intake until he began to spin it to something like 8600. Can't get there with a factory LT1 PCM. Somebody smarter might, I can't. If I get some free time I may try one.

Take care, Ed
Old 08-09-2005, 11:04 PM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by Z284thgen
ed you have e-mail

Jeff, I'm home right now. I'll get it in the morning at the office.

Take care, Ed
Old 08-10-2005, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think Steve Quinn was using a highly Modified LT1 intake however. He can duplicate the intake for a Heftly 1500, ouch To be honest his intake is basically a one of a kind, no one else has one like his. Over a ported stocker I am sure mcu his to be gained by going single plain.
ED what is done to your intake, guys over at Cz28 said you made around 475RWHP on your LT4 topend and a HR, they said your LT4 intake was highly modified. You care to elaborate. Also how much of a cam change did you do going from the HR to SR set up, not asking for your cam specs but then again I am in a around about way, lol. Thanks fellows
Old 08-10-2005, 10:23 AM
Launching!

wow....thats pretty
Old 08-10-2005, 10:38 AM
9-Second Club

I think Steve Quinn was using a highly Modified LT1 intake however. He can duplicate the intake for a Heftly 1500, ouch To be honest his intake is basically a one of a kind, no one else has one like his. Over a ported stocker I am sure mcu his to be gained by going single plain.
ED what is done to your intake, guys over at Cz28 said you made around 475RWHP on your LT4 topend and a HR, they said your LT4 intake was highly modified. You care to elaborate. Also how much of a cam change did you do going from the HR to SR set up, not asking for your cam specs but then again I am in a around about way, lol. Thanks fellows
Last year when I changed cams, I picked up what I mentioned before. I originally dynoed the car with the stock converter so I would know where my torque peak was. Wanted to know that for converter selection. Can't tell about that with a race converter, since the torque graph is just a diagonal line down across the screen. It made 475 like that. Put the race converter in it, and made 447. I was at 468 by the end of the summer. Early on I had a lifter fail, sending metal all through the engine. Ruined my cylinder walls & piston skirts. With no time to screw with it, I just washed it out and put the first solid roller in it. I ran three cams through it last summer. It was at 468 rwhp at the end of summer, but my ring seal was crap. I fixed that, and changed some other stuff around this past winter. Same heads & intake. With the new changes it made 508 with the race converter installed. Couldn't find the stock converter, or I would have dynoed it that way to get a better look at the new torque curve. Think the stocker got hauled off during a shop clean up.

As to the intake, I had a machinist friend cut the top off with his vertical mill.
I told Pete (CNC Heads) what I was going to do and he told me to send it back when the top was gone and he "would do some more damage". I don't think there is a square inch in there he didn't work on. Had to weld it up in three or four places where bulges inside became holes. My machinist buddy made a new top, and another friend welded it on for me. Now it had a -6 braided line tying the two fuel rails together. Nothing like Steve Quinn's deal, just cleaned everything up, and was able to work on port match (miss-match actually, don't want a perfect match there) since I could see the runners well with the top gone.

It's not that serious an effort. No coatings, gas ports, back cut rings, etc. Cheap Scat internals. Nothing like what I built for my old race cars. If I have time, I will may put together more of a race engine next year.

This is getting kinda long, probably boring the heck out of most everybody else.

Take care, Ed

Last edited by Ed Wright; 08-10-2005 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks ED, I always wondered about your intake, If you ever get around to setting up your race engine I would love to see the details on that MONSTER. Nothing boring to me, I learn as much as I can. Thanks.
Also somthing I found interesting is that Joe Sherman (engine master challenge winner) used a Single plain Super vic with 215 raised heads 320 .600 230 .600 on a 365 CI motor with a 234/234 I think around 590 lift on both intake and Exhaust with Isky cam and vavetrain pulled it to about 6500 where he made 675 Flywheel HP. I bet this thing was VERY streetable with his setup. Awsome heads matched with a smaller cam= awsome driveability and power IMO.

Joe also mentioned the Super vic was 1 inch taller than the Vic JR. in the article
Old 08-10-2005, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Tony: 8k rpm with a stock PCM? Am I missing something?

Edit: Already been hased .
Ryan

Last edited by 96-speed; 08-10-2005 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:07 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have gone 9.60 on my stock pcm when ihad it. it looks great. i thought about that route as well. but went with the hogan

are there provisions for a fogger on this intake?

thanks

Quick Reply: Pic of my new project (LT4 w/ "E" victor intake etc)