need trans opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 03:26 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need trans opinions

i am gettin close to buyin a trans and need some opinions
choices are either a 700r4 or a 4l60e
i have been told by a few tranny guys the 700 is actually better because its faster on the pressure increases and such. 4l60e is better if has vacuum modulation or some ****.

choices i have in mind
1. pro-built as i have heard some really good stuff about them probably some of the best reviews for any auto tranny place

2. bowtie overdrives 700r4.com he has a decent rep also

3. these 3 are tied and on the bottom because of price ck performance, flp, and raptor
i just really dont want to spend 2k on a tranny most in number 3 are 2k or right at it

i have to call them and adjust depending on what they want for a core unless i can find a junker in the j yard for a core

this is for a 95 lt1 not in a f body and i already have the throttle bracket to use a tv cable on a lt1 if i go 700. i would be goin 200 4r but i already have a brand new custom converter and id like to use it.

if you have any other places that compete price wise please post them up or pm me with them i dont have alot of money and im goin to try and scrape together this because its needed.

im not buying a used transmission i dont know if many people know this but i have bought 5 transmissions this year and not a single one was usuable(very long damn story). so the next one will be new from a reputable company.

thanks in advance guys

last off if i decide to runa 700 would it be better to switch to a 6 sp harness or if i keep the auto harness is there anything special i need to do for the big green plug
Old 08-16-2005, 05:56 PM
Launching!

anybody
Old 08-16-2005, 07:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Go with a vacuum modulated 4L60E from ProBuilt I am nothing but happy with mine.
DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT go with Raptor I don't know where they got a rep as far as being able to build a tranny but EVERY single report I have read about people who actually used them went horribly wrong withing a couple months and the resolution was not good. Must just be that fancy website and good marketting because I have yet to hear of anyone who was happy for more than a few weeks and know people who went though multiple trannies in under 1K each. A company looking to sell a high stall 12: converter is a bad sign right there once you get over about 2400 stall 9.5" is the only way to go.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:53 PM
Launching!

thanks
yea i dont know the rep of raptor someone mentioned them to me thats why i thought id post and ask for some opinions
i have heard good things about probuilt and bowtie overdrives and have talked to both on the phone.
i didnt know the pro built 4l60e was vac modulated i will look into that futher.

i have a 10" converter already its around 3k stall brand new in box if i didnt have that id be goin to a 200 4r no questions asked.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:01 PM
11 Second Club

Don't know where people get the idea the 200 4R is so great either most companies that build both have max ratings for the 200 and 700/4L60 lineup as the same 800hp. The only reason I think the 700line of trannies is viewed poorly is it was still around when engines began to make power again so it got blownup more. The only powerful car I know of the 200 being used in was the GN and by todays standards it wouldn't be the legend it is, awesome cars no doubt but I hope you understand what I am saying. The 700 got it's bad rep from the shear quantity of powerful vehicles it was used in.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:08 PM
Launching!

they both have to built to handle power i understand this the reason i say that is because
the 200 4r has a little less drag
its lighter in weight
it also has better gearing
Old 08-17-2005, 08:34 AM
11 Second Club

Oh and just for clairity the vacuum modulator is opional on the ProBuilt not standard.