LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Which LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 02:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which LT1?

we'll im hoping i am posting this in the right section.. i just read the newbie faq and it hasnt awenered a few of my questions , and ive done a search.

Is there a certain year where one lt1 has better then another (bigger injectors,rear end,ect" i have a 500HP DSM it has about 50 miles on it.. i want to get rid of it, i have invested ten tousand into it and it makes me sick, because i dont want this car anymore. so im going to sell it and buy an f-body, id love to have a ls1 but i know i wont be able to afford one, so my mind is set on a trans am. So is there anything to look for particularly? Are certian things known for failing and breaking? (like the crankwalk issue on 2g eclipses ((dsms)) )
Old 08-16-2005, 02:51 PM
Launching!

The opti (short for optispark which is our distributor) is known for failing. They're super sensitive to moisture. If you get the late models (97, 96, 95?) then you get a slightly better opti which is vented and doesn't fail as easy but still is too sensitive imo. Also, once you get into the upper miles, I've heard that our waterpumps fail too. But I believe that's for any car. Otherwise, they're pretty solid cars. If you can, I'd say it's worth a little extra money to get a ws6 (yah, I assumed you were looking at TA's, heh) cause of the added features.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chicagoboostin
Is there a certain year where one lt1 has better then another (bigger injectors,rear end,ect)
there were a few (very few) 96 and 96 cars, both camaro and TA that had actual LT4 motors put into them and they run a little better than stock LS1s, but are pretty rare and usually very pricey. other than that, the differences aren't really performance related. starting half way through the 94 production year, they did switch to the better fan style. in 93 and the first half of 94 there were still two fans, but one came on at a set speed for low and the second at a set speed for high. after the change both came on at a low speed for low and then both went to a higher speed for high.

the OBDII cars (96-97) were rated at 10 more hp, but it means nothing. what i would base my buy on would be whether i wanted OBDI or OBDII for tuning and emissions purposes. if you have to worry about emissions then OBDII works out really well because basically you only have to worry about SES codes which are easy to get rid of.

the opti is a common problem, but to me seems extremely overexaggerated. the location is what's bad about it and ususally the reason it fails is because the water pump fails and dumps coolant all over it. mine is still running good with 118k on it and 11 years, so i'd say even if it does go out it lasted a long damn time.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

alright so basically any lt1 TA is alright there, all basically equal except for OBD 1-2. i have to put the 60-1 back on my talon and i think im going to sell my talon with out water injection and use it on my lt1, we'll see i hope i get atleast 7k for it.

Moving on to something else.. [rebuilds].On a dsm at about 120k you are just waiting for rod knock, some get luckier then others, big arguement. On an LT1, I plan to spray it and just add some bolt ons and a tire. would it be a good idea to rebuild it if it has about 120k on the odometer and plan on spraying?

Last edited by chicagoboostin; 08-16-2005 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

depends on the condition of the car. i know a few guys with bolt on lt1s over 200k, and at least one is over 250k with his. no rebuild.

it's going to depend on how the car was/is treated. dont' waste money on a rebuilt if it's not neccessary. if it's not burning oil and has good compression then dont' worry about it.

how much u planning on spraying?? i would definitley worry about sticky tires with nitrous though. there's quite a few people that have their rear ends hold up to a whole whole lot, but usually it's just a matter of time until when u put some big torque to it.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:35 PM
Staging Lane

well at least a one hundred shot, at most a one fifty, id like for it to be a dry shot (ill upgrade injectors and such that needs to be done.) be as stealth as possable..
Old 08-16-2005, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chicagoboostin
be as stealth as possable..

the only people that saw my kit were the ones that helped install it

i ran a 100 shot without pulling any timing, but if you go 150 i'd make sure to pull some.

Quick Reply: Which LT1?