LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

z06 maf sensor vs stock..

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 02:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default z06 maf sensor vs stock..

i know this subject is beaten to death, but i basically have a free z06 maf sensor if i want to know the advantages and disadvantages to it vs a stock one... keep in mind that this car is going to see heads and cam and a good dyno tune in the next 2 months.. and it has an obd1 94 computer in a 96 comp t/a.. i know everyones gonna bash me and say stay stock, but right now i have the z06 one in, its like twice the diameter, but my o2 sensors are fucked up and therefore unplugged so i really am not getting a sense of the maf doing anything
Old 08-22-2005, 07:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Your car will run hugely rich with that MAF and no programming for it expect fouled plugs and )2s as well as plugged cats if you continue. It is not that much larger I had one and since sold it cheap to someone with an LSX motor going into a hotrod. Even with proffessional mailorder tuning help I could not get it to run correctly. Plus it operates in a higher frequency range and by the time you are moving enough air to begin to take advantsge of the larger size it has exeeded our pcms ability to understand it even with programming. The stock sensor is plenty capable well into stroker of forced induction territory and will make your tuners life a little easier. I read one time about EW testing some of these and he found the readings to vary signifigantly between individual sensors a tuner can nail it down on the dyno but it will be more work and with heads/cam on a 350 it will not notably free up airflow over the stocker.

Since you are trying to run it untned you must not understand how these work they use an electrical frquency to heat the little wires to a specific tempature/resistance that frquency is then sent to the pcm and the pcm has to be PROGRAMMED with the appropriate tables for that MAF otherwise the info will do nothing but cause problems.
Since you appear not to want to hear this is not the right way to go with mods from us why not ask you tuner what he thinks, don't ell him you are using it first though as some of them are too nice and too customer friendly to tell people to undo mistakes they have already made.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:17 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula69
i know this subject is beaten to death, but i basically have a free z06 maf sensor if i want to know the advantages and disadvantages to it vs a stock one... keep in mind that this car is going to see heads and cam and a good dyno tune in the next 2 months.. and it has an obd1 94 computer in a 96 comp t/a.. i know everyones gonna bash me and say stay stock, but right now i have the z06 one in, its like twice the diameter, but my o2 sensors are fucked up and therefore unplugged so i really am not getting a sense of the maf doing anything

I have several people running those on LT1 cars. I used one on my stock engine for two years before I built my 383" Not much gain on a stock engine, or even a head & cam engine. 4 or 5 hp if your lucky. Usually less. It will run rich if you just plug it in with no tuning. No problem making it run as well (the same) as a stock MAF sensor, on even a stock engine. I would expect any decent tuner to have tables developed for that sensor by now. Pretty comon deal.

Good luck, Ed
Old 08-22-2005, 07:38 PM
11 Second Club

I should note that I tried it right when it became available, but still you don't find tuners recommending it even now with time to have it figured out.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:14 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I should note that I tried it right when it became available, but still you don't find tuners recommending it even now with time to have it figured out.

I have been using them for about four years now. Most guys that want them don't need them. Ditto bigger throttle bodies, and too often injectors. It's the "bigger must be better" syndrome.

Ed
Old 08-24-2005, 05:29 AM
11 Second Club

I had tried it because I mistkenly thought my stock MAF was flakey and it was a good 3.5 yeares ago.

Quick Reply: z06 maf sensor vs stock..