LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How are you running your optis with an adjustable timing chain?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 02:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How are you running your optis with an adjustable timing chain?!

just put on a Cloyes Double Roller timing chain. I had to cut off some of the dowel pin on the cam in order to be able to adjust the cam using the adj. timing chain. The pin stuck out wayy to far and I wasnt able to fit an allen wrench inside. Now i am ready to put on the opti and that pin needs to fit into the opti. Did you guys end up drilling the opti so the circlular peice that the dowel pin is in, fits into the opti? I need help as soon as possible. Thanks guys. -Matt
Old 09-17-2005, 08:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have heard people ask about running an adjustable timing set on the LT1 but you are the first I have seen actually try to go ahead with it. Drill out the opti and you will unbalance it which can not be a good thing. Are you prepared to offset all your timing tables in the pcm to account for the advancing or retarding you are attempting to do to the opti since it is cam driven? This is just one of the reasons why after the initial thought everyone decides it would be a mistake to try this. For the cost and hassle you could have just gotten a cam ground to fit your needs.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah i agree its not worth it to drill the opti. The cam has been grinded to fit my needs and I am not changing the timing. I just went with the adjustable because they were on a site and said they were for an LT1 running an electric waterpump and vented opti. I didnt think going adjustable would run me into problems.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup if you cut the pin off there is not a reliable way to drive it. I am running a 9 position Cloyes billet double roller set advanced 2* Now we have to adjust the rest of the PCM settings

Quick Reply: How are you running your optis with an adjustable timing chain?!