LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need help - new 383 and now front of thrust bearings are wiped out

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 08:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help - new 383 and now front of thrust bearings are wiped out

Just had 383 stroker installed and car was running good - took it to the dyno and all was fine, oil pressure was good - brought car in to have and oil change before putting it away for the winter and found front crank seal leaking. Checked crankshaft end play and it was .018" - the machine shop that built the motor set it up at .005" - Removed oil pan and found front of thrust bearing is wiped out but the back is fine - crankshaft is being pushed backwards or walking backwards but can't figure out why. Any suggestions please.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pull style clutch? I would gess that with relly stiff clutches you have to pull that much harder on the crank for the clutch to disangage. Maby the shop scratched the bearing or somthang?
Old 11-18-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had same thing happen to me, but with the rear side of the thrust bearing.
It started out I had oil pressure problems , pressure would drop when getting on it. i've got a 381, eagle crank, rods, srp pistons.

8 qt pan, HVHP pump, 10w30 oil, main bearing clearances were high. when i took it back apart to change bearings I found I had .018 end play on the crank. I remember setting it up at .004. I never found out why it wiped out the thrust bearing, now i've been driving it for about three weeks again and i checked end play tonight, .005 so i think i'm all good.

like the guy before said, pull style clutch , make sure throwout bearing wasn't hanging up or not fully dis-engauging.

good luck.

Quick Reply: Need help - new 383 and now front of thrust bearings are wiped out