LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

popping out exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 02:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default popping out exhaust

I have a 94 trans am m6 and it had a bad opti when I got it. The previous owner drove the car for 6 months without a plugwire on number 5. I replaced all the plugs, wires and while I was at it went ahead and put on a set of long tubes. Well I was hopeing that the opti was still good, but when I fired it back up it was obvious that it was gone. It would pop out the exhaust wich at the time was just the long tubes into a 3" y-pipe into a 4" section. I got a 4" to 3" reducer and put it on the end of the y-pipe and connected the stock i-pipe to it. I was not able to completely weld it on due to not having a lift. So it has a very bad leak right there. I replaced the opti last night and fired it up and it seemed to be running perfect. As the car warmed up it started to pop a little like it had done before the opti. I took it for a drive and it was actually alot quicker than I thought it would be and the motor was running very smooth. but while cruising it was poping still. The temps outside were in the mid 30's. So basically could there be an explination of the popping now occuring due to the gas's and temp's outside and the leak, or would it be another problem? The check engine light is still on and im not 100% sure how to check for the codes. Anyone have any clues as to what it might be? Thanks in advance

Billy
Old 11-18-2005, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

mine does the same thing. 2 thigs will cause the popping. 1 little back presure. when i run with out a muffler my car pops on deceleration but with the muffler not so much. 2 exhaust leaks will cause it to pop too. when cold air gets sucked into the leak it will make a pop out of the exhaust. i have had more than one person tell me that. someone form and axhaust shop and someone at JBA. i am guessing there must be some truth to it them. fix the leak and it should improve. i think not having a cat increases it too but not really be a cause.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:59 AM
Launching!

check your fuel peasure
Old 11-19-2005, 02:56 PM
Teching In

you installed longtubes right, how did hook your o2 sensors up? i had installed longtubes on my trans am and wired the o2's up with butt conectors and electrical tape and it would missfire and pop out the exhaust, i then bought casper eletronics extensions and it took care of it, first i would fix the exhaust leak and take your car to autozone or advance and they read your code for free.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yea appreciate the help guys. I think the main popping was from the number 5 not firing completely and being wet. I still have the check engine light and I got advance to check it for me and it brought up egr and a lean mixture. So I will get the leak fixed in the next day or so and see if the codes go away. It is not popping very much if any now. Thanks for the help

Billy
Old 11-23-2005, 08:33 PM
Banned

check you spark plug gap!

Quick Reply: popping out exhaust