LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1/LT4 Build plan.. i need help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 12:39 AM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default LT1/LT4 Build plan.. i need help.

OK... in various other threads i have mentioned my build plan for my motor. I need help with a few questions, where i can get stuff from, and if this is a decent plan.

1. Im thinking AFR heads. What heads im not sure. Please recommend what ones to go. I was thinking the LT4 heads. Have the heads flowbenched so they flow equal on all ports.

2. Then for intake (if i go LT4), get the LT4 intake and port it (i heard it was a real bottle neck).

3. Get a BBK twin 58mm throttlebody.

4. Looking at getting around 8.5:1 compression. Im going to use gapless rings.

5. Then some sort of FI. Looking to push around 15 psi. That should be enough boost for plenty of fun.

Now for questions

1. Where can i get a forged bottom end?
2. Should i stroke it?
3. How big of injectors will i need?
4. Which AFR heads?
5. Should i go LT4?
6. Who will be able to tune this for me (i live in wyoming)

This is all about motor.. dont start talking about trans, stall, and rear end. I know what needs to be done to handle this. lol. LEts just talk motor right now. My biggest thing is i want this reliable enough that if i wanted to, i could drive it daily (not going to, but i want it to be that reliable). I know it is possible so start throwing some suggestions and answers to my questions!

THanks a ton.

Nick
Old 11-21-2005, 12:49 AM
9 Second Club

oh an ****... change the main to 4 bolt main... anyhting else that i haven't thought of please post up
Old 11-21-2005, 02:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How rich are you? AFR 215cc raiser runners would ******* flow like the Amazon, you can get forged bottom ends at many places. You might want a monoblade TB as well, and your injector size is determined really by the hp range you are shooting for. 36 lb/hour is good for a lot, maybe 42 if you are going to be running that kind of boost through some really good heads.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:37 AM
11 Second Club

If I was going to build an engine, I would definately go with a 383 stroker , Mad z28 will handle your computer for about $80
Old 11-21-2005, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd go 355ish, so it gives you a nice thick cylinder wall for all that extra heat, and would rev a little easier...for the turbo hehe. Also, if I was going to drop the money for some afr 215 raised runner heads, I would kick myself, go buy some sbc heads, convert them, and flow more...or some canted valve heads, but that requires additional items that are valve-train related. The limiting factor is going to be your heads, and also what cam shaft you decide on. I would call up ai or le to set you up with a forced induction setup, or build your own based on head selection, then get a custom ground cam for that. Also, 42# injectors are right up your alley, the bigger t/b you can get the better. Monoblade or better yet, if you went with the sbc heads/intake setup, a big *** 1000+cfm tb on top....mmmm
Old 11-21-2005, 08:22 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Hey Jordan57, just how does one go about converting regular SBC heads to LTx cooling?
Old 11-21-2005, 08:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

355 would be better for boost , you can go mack daddy heads and intake but ?I have seen some decent heads/intake & right cam on a blower do well. Keep in mind the blower is ramming that air in there anyway!
Old 11-22-2005, 12:12 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 97blkz
355 would be better for boost , you can go mack daddy heads and intake but ?I have seen some decent heads/intake & right cam on a blower do well. Keep in mind the blower is ramming that air in there anyway!

true true. But it is nice if the blower doesn't have to try all that hard to make it in.

and how do you convert conventional heads to work on the LT1?

Also... since the opti spark sucks, is there any way we can adapt a better ignition? Or am i stuck with the opti junk?
Old 11-22-2005, 07:39 PM
TECH Regular

you can wait to upgrade to the new msd opti coming out in Dec. The other options are the dynaspark(revamped opti) or Delteq ign.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:31 AM
9 Second Club

Ok.. few questions needing answered. Someone said you can convert normal SBC heads to work on the LT1. Is this true and if so what needs to be done?

Also, what headers have the biggest primary tubes and where can i get them? I hear good things about MAC i think it was...
Old 11-24-2005, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I am not familiar with the process to convert sbc heads to reverse flow, however most fabricators its a fairly easy process. As for headers, I would get some 1 7/8" primary headers LONG TUBES (not mac mid lenghts).
Old 11-24-2005, 12:34 PM
Banned

First two questions you need to answer before you build any motor?

1. How much is my budget? (It's usually going to be over that, but you need an idea)
2. How fast do I want to go?

Those two need to work together or your going to be broke or dissapointed. I deal with customers all the time and this is where you start. You can always piecemeal a motor together but in the end it just doesnt work like it should.

After that you can worry about the heads, headers, intake, cam etc...

Bret
Old 11-24-2005, 12:38 PM
11 Second Club

I think, (not for sure) that I saw a thread where texas speed was converting heads. Might try a search
Old 11-24-2005, 12:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce

1. How much is my budget? (It's usually going to be over that, but you need an idea)

Those two need to work together or your going to be broke or dissapointed. I deal with customers all the time and this is where you start. You can always piecemeal a motor together but in the end it just doesnt work like it should.

Bret
Great advise , ps I eneded up 2k over my budget. Be careful it happens quick!
Old 11-24-2005, 01:37 PM
9 Second Club

Bret
good advice... but that is not how im going about it. Im "building" the motor on paper. Totaling cost.. then that is what it is goign to cost me.. simple as that.

How fast do i want to go? Well, i'll go as fast as this motor takes me. I blieve with the basic idea i have going for the motor it will be an animal, and that is all i ask for. If it ends up 700+ hp, i'll be exstatic. If it is like 500, i may be dissapointed, but it will be faster still than anyhting i have even rid in.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dragframe
good advice... but that is not how im going about it. Im "building" the motor on paper. Totaling cost.. then that is what it is goign to cost me.. simple as that. .
You haven't built one before have ya? It sounds simple that it's going to cost XXX amount but anyone who has built a motor on here will agree that it's more than you think it's going to be. This aint building a house out of legos.

I dont care how many times I write up a budget for a customer, getting the thing right takes more time and money than you planned for.

Originally Posted by Dragframe
How fast do i want to go? Well, i'll go as fast as this motor takes me. I blieve with the basic idea i have going for the motor it will be an animal, and that is all i ask for. If it ends up 700+ hp, i'll be exstatic. If it is like 500, i may be dissapointed, but it will be faster still than anyhting i have even rid in.
Well 700hp NA can be done it just takes a ton of talent. 500 hp is hard for most people to do NA, everyone thinks they have 500+ hp but most dont, you need to have over 430rwhp to be there and it's not common on a LT1 to do that.

Either way, good luck. Figured I would give you my advice since it's my job to build these things everyday.

Bret
Old 11-24-2005, 11:33 PM
9 Second Club

well i have built a motor before. Just mild little carbed motors. Nothing like this. And im not going for N/A... this is all boost. The motor will be a major dog without some sort of FI.

I know how much my bottom end is going to cost me. But the heads and converting them... then the fuel injection stuff. That is what concerns me. What does it cost to have heads converted?
Old 11-25-2005, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Not sure, call a sponsor (LME, Texas Speed, etc) and check it out, or...if you have a local head porter around that's knowledgable, ask them.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Veteran

You haven't built one before have ya? It sounds simple that it's going to cost XXX amount but anyone who has built a motor on here will agree that it's more than you think it's going to be. This aint building a house out of legos.

I dont care how many times I write up a budget for a customer, getting the thing right takes more time and money than you planned for.

I second that. I'm about $10,000 over my budget right now.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:24 PM
9 Second Club

Well.. see.. a budget can be seen as two different things. It can be seen as the money you are aloting yourself to spend...or it can be the maximum you can spend no matter what.

You guys dont see how much im planning in advance hear... i got a car... just recently.. paid cash. It has a 3 year 100,000 mile warrenty on the motor. So, im not going to "dig in" to it just yet. I have a warrenty so i mise well use it for a little while.

While im just driving it and waiting awhile, im going to be researching, planning, and saving every spare bit of change i get. My advantage is im graduating highschool in january... and probly will live with my parents untill december or so. I dont have to pay for insurance or housing or food. So i have to pay for gas and the rest can go to the car. Whatever amount of money i can make in a years time will go into the car.

At the end of the year and i look at the chunk of change i have saved, if it aint going to be enough... i'll save it and just keep putting any money i have extra aside. After next year i will have bills, but i should still be making enough extra to acumulate a fair amount of money. Its cheap to live in wyoming. lol.

My car is my life and its all that really matters. I mean, its a hobby. It is fun to work on, real fun to drive, and of course the ladies and all my friends like it. I want it to be the best it can be.

But also, in my planing we have to keep this in resonable limits. Im not goign to spend $6000 on heads. Like $2000 is about right. forged bottom end is about $1600. I have to find a supercharger/turbo or something of the like that can give me the 15 psi im after. need fuel injectors, cam, lifter, pushrods, computer programing, intake, throttlebody. There are things there that im not sure what im going to spend on. THere are things there taht i haven't even thought about (remember, dont start talking about tranny and rear end, that is already figured out).

So any help you can give me to move me forward, apposed to telling me i NEED a budget, would greatly be apreciative.

(i have to make sure my car eats my dad when he puts his crate motor in his 1970 Firebird )

Quick Reply: LT1/LT4 Build plan.. i need help.