LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

383 stroker cam and head question

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 10:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 383 stroker cam and head question

My brother in law is building a 383 stroker with 9:1 compression that is going to be supercharged with 10 lbs of boost. It is for a 94 25th Anniversary Trans Am. He has a couple of questions. First any suggestions on a cam. Second he is looking at headers, of course, and was looking at 1 3/4" mid lengths so he can keep everything emmisions legal. I know there are problems with clearance on SLP headers (LT's) are there problems with others(LT's)? He is at stock height. Peformance wise how much of a difference will there be between LT's and mid length? He is expecting the engine to dyno at around 600hp. Golan is building the engine for him. He asked me this run this buy you guys that have already done stuff like this to see what issues you have run across. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

First off far as cam suggestions go, Id keep the lsa tight, due to that much boost. The guy to talk to about that would be Bret Bauer(sstrokerace,I think)He'll set ya up perfect for what your wanting..Far as headers go, Id go with Hooker/Jet Hot LT's..With that much boost and cubic inch, Id think that mid-length headers would choke it up.. Hopefully some of the LT1 gurus will chime in, b/c Im NOT one of those..heh
Old 12-10-2005, 08:11 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I totally recommend Bret, I have his cam he made for me sitting right next to me, mmmmmmhhhmmm I can still smell the machining oil.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:12 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh yea Mid length headers suck, at least the AS&M which are 1 3/4" primaires, and just gives me a pain in the ***** when trying to work with the. Jet hot coat headers are the hot ticket!
Old 12-12-2005, 09:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

For emissions legal, the single cat SLP headers are the ticket. they are a great design and make good power. If he doesnt care about emissions legal, then LT's for sure.

When getting a cam for the blower, try and come up with one that has between 2-5 degrees overlap for max power while still retaining some streetability. This is the general trend I've noticed with the high hp "street" cams.

With ported Factory heads and blower cam (@ 10psi) then he could make 600hp @ flywheel...530rwhp or so.

Bret does custom grind cams, but he wont advise you on any specs unless you commit with money. If you want, go to cammotions web site and fill out a cam request. The will require info on engine components, weight of the car, street manners, etc. and they will suggest a custom cam with specs at no charge.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by herk01SS
My brother in law is building a 383 stroker with 9:1 compression that is going to be supercharged with 10 lbs of boost. It is for a 94 25th Anniversary Trans Am. He has a couple of questions. First any suggestions on a cam. Second he is looking at headers, of course, and was looking at 1 3/4" mid lengths so he can keep everything emmisions legal. I know there are problems with clearance on SLP headers (LT's) are there problems with others(LT's)? He is at stock height. Peformance wise how much of a difference will there be between LT's and mid length? He is expecting the engine to dyno at around 600hp. Golan is building the engine for him. He asked me this run this buy you guys that have already done stuff like this to see what issues you have run across. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I can grind you a custom cam based on your combination and the cylinder head flow.
Are the heads ported? Do you have flow sheets? I'd be happy to help just shoot me a PM or give me a call.
Ask for Harold.
512-257-0222