LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Will JB Weld work for this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what you are saying is there is already a hole? You said it came off but I was under the impression that you still had part of a stud in place. THAT was the part I meant to drill out and replace with a bolt. If you already have the hole, I believe it would be quite easy to just lay a bead on the back side to hold the stud.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I understand what you mean about the bolt falling out and I understand it would be difficult to get behind a replacement top bolt with a wrench to hold it in place while you tighten the wingnut, especially w/o lifting the car. If you are in Houston you can get the right bolt to replace the missing one and bring it to me. I'll weld it up for free for you. I think the JB Weld would hold under minimal torque, but once you put some *** on it it's going to twist off.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slow96z
I understand what you mean about the bolt falling out and I understand it would be difficult to get behind a replacement top bolt with a wrench to hold it in place while you tighten the wingnut, especially w/o lifting the car. If you are in Houston you can get the right bolt to replace the missing one and bring it to me. I'll weld it up for free for you. I think the JB Weld would hold under minimal torque, but once you put some *** on it it's going to twist off.
Fantastic offer, but I'm on the other side of the country haha. I jacked up the car and just put the original stud back and tightened the wing nut on it. I held the stud as hard as I could and just torqued the wing nut very tightly. I just want to eliminate the problem, I mean if it was on the bottom, it wouldn't be so hard, but it has to be the one on top. I still have the original stud, so all that would need to be done is just putting the bolt back through the back of the cutout hole and re-weld it. But it's cool now, I got it.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:58 PM
Teching In

know i'm new here but i have an option. if you want to fix it right, you have 2 options other than the jb. either drill the bolt out get a new bolt, cut the head off and use is as a stud to slide into the hole you just drilled, weld the bolt into the hole grind and dress your weld and your done! or just take your cutoff out and replace it.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:44 AM
On The Tree

Make your next mod an electric cutout, no more crawling under the car, and the cool factor of having quiet exhaust when you wnat is nice.

FWIW, my cutout just had 3 bolts/wingnuts that I would pull out and put in the console when I pulled my plate.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by black_lt1
know i'm new here but i have an option. if you want to fix it right, you have 2 options other than the jb. either drill the bolt out get a new bolt, cut the head off and use is as a stud to slide into the hole you just drilled, weld the bolt into the hole grind and dress your weld and your done! or just take your cutoff out and replace it.

Haha guys, read the thread. Nothing is "stripped" or needs to be drilled out. I am thinking about electric, so much more convenient.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

JB Weld did not hold up to heat on the exhaust manifolds on my Suburban. Smoked, turned black, and crumbled away. You might try it, it may or may not hold.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jb weld will not work..just get it welded man its not worth the hassle

Quick Reply: Will JB Weld work for this?