LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Serpentine Belt size help

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 07:57 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Serpentine Belt size help

Anyone know where I can get a 58.5" length serpentine belt? I have been to Autozone and O'reilly's without success.

My '94 Z28 has a March underdrive pulley on the crank and an overdrive pulley on the alternator. All was well and good with a Dayco Polycog 5060590, until I removed the A/C and installed a GM Perf. Parts A/C delete pulley. It is supposed to maintain the same belt size. In my case it did not. The Dayco started slipping a little.

Needing a slightly shorter belt, I ran out and all I could find is a cheap Kelly 592K6. It worked for a little while, but now it slips on startups and when I let off the throttle after a quick blip. I can visually see that the sucker is loose when idling, but it has not thrown the belt yet. However, the squeal when it slips is annoying and embarrasing. Especially when I fire the car up at the track.

If I am understanding the part numbers correctly, I think the belts I have are 59" long. I need one just SLIGHTLY shorter, like a 58.5". A 58" might work, but I would be afraid of it being too tight and wearing out my alt bearing.

TIA,
Todd

Edit: My idler/tensioner pulley is nearly new and in good shape, so we can rule it out.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:07 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They only make a 53" or 59, 60". Your tensioner might be worn out. I would check that first Todd.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:05 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tony Shepherd
They only make a 53" or 59, 60". Your tensioner might be worn out. I would check that first Todd.
Tensioner is pretty new, about a year old I think. The damn AC delete pulley did not keep the same overall dimensions as when the AC was on the car.

However, maybe I could get a Katech tensioner or something that would have a little heavier spring? Maybe it would hold the belt tighter?

Quick Reply: Serpentine Belt size help