51.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

DelTeq vs. LTCC

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tekprodave
I wouldn't wait. You need the optical portion of the opti to run the Delteq.

Both the delteq and the LTCC solve alot of problems. I had a brand new opti, new crane hi-6, and new msd coil and the car was misfiring causing fouled plugs causing more misfires. See the vicious cycle? Changing plugs every few thousand miles is a freakin' nightmare on this car. I've purchased tons of tools to try to make plug changes easier and it is still a 4-6 hour pain in the azz. The Delteq solved the problem completely and REALLY woke the car up. Don't wait, do it now. You won't regret it. The stock opti sucks azz when high voltage runs through it. I'll prolly buy another one for my bolton car and maybe even a third for the 9C1.
Good point.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:21 AM
TECH Resident

Tekprodave,

Since we were on the subject I dont think theres a reason to open a new thread for this... You made a good valid point, and I should be ordering it within the next few weeks (I live in Europe now, so I will have it either shipped to a friend or if the Delteq dealer has them in stock have the friend pick it up and ship it to me)... I have a few questions, should I install this right away when I get it? My point is this... I wont be driving the TA for at least a month more (because of icey roads, gonna wait for spring to come). If the optical sensor does go bad someday, is that a hard part/expensive part to replace?

Thanks for your help, Im also open to any advice you have regarding the system.

Edit: I was just looking at the installation manual, I thought you removed the old opti setup completly but I guess not, which should make this a pretty simple install... But do you still face the problems such as if you hit a puddle (hypothetically) or if the water pump goes and get the opti wet, do you have to replace the opti even if running the Delteq? I know this sounds like a pretty dumb question.

Last edited by Charging TA; 02-07-2006 at 05:27 AM.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:56 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Charging TA
Tekprodave,

Since we were on the subject I dont think theres a reason to open a new thread for this... You made a good valid point, and I should be ordering it within the next few weeks (I live in Europe now, so I will have it either shipped to a friend or if the Delteq dealer has them in stock have the friend pick it up and ship it to me)... I have a few questions, should I install this right away when I get it? My point is this... I wont be driving the TA for at least a month more (because of icey roads, gonna wait for spring to come). If the optical sensor does go bad someday, is that a hard part/expensive part to replace?

Thanks for your help, Im also open to any advice you have regarding the system.

Edit: I was just looking at the installation manual, I thought you removed the old opti setup completly but I guess not, which should make this a pretty simple install... But do you still face the problems such as if you hit a puddle (hypothetically) or if the water pump goes and get the opti wet, do you have to replace the opti even if running the Delteq? I know this sounds like a pretty dumb question.
Hypothetically you shouldn't have a problem if it's vented but I can't say for certain. I like the kit alot. Just wish there was a way to hide it as I've got mine mounted on the VC and looks good but I want to put it on the firewall somehow.

Where in Europe are you at?
Old 02-07-2006, 06:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SRZ
Hypothetically you shouldn't have a problem if it's vented but I can't say for certain. I like the kit alot. Just wish there was a way to hide it as I've got mine mounted on the VC and looks good but I want to put it on the firewall somehow.

Where in Europe are you at?
Thanks for the reply. Im in Finland, just moved here after living in Florida for the past 13 years... I read that one guy had cut off the rotor in his Opti when using the Delteq system, does anyone have any information on this or is it advised against?

With a stock motor, switching to the Delteq should mean that the Opti should last a while longer right? I dont want to buy the Delteq and then have to in a few months get a Opti again... Ive read of performance increases from switching to the Delteq, I know their not going to be as big on a stock motor but the difference should be still "feelable" correct?

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:25 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You don't have to remove nothing from the opti to work the delteq. People sometimes remove the cap and put the billet opti cover on so it doesn't look as ugly but who sees down there besides yourself anyways?

You'll be find and kick yourself for not doing it sooner.

Finland....cool.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SRZ
You don't have to remove nothing from the opti to work the delteq. People sometimes remove the cap and put the billet opti cover on so it doesn't look as ugly but who sees down there besides yourself anyways?

You'll be find and kick yourself for not doing it sooner.

Finland....cool.
Correction: Finland....cold (-16 right now, got down to 30s the other week)

Thanks for all your help This should be my last question, is a tune/dyno-tune required after installing the system?
Old 02-07-2006, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Charging TA
Correction: Finland....cold (-16 right now, got down to 30s the other week)

Thanks for all your help This should be my last question, is a tune/dyno-tune required after installing the system?
Only if you had a tune before and even then it may not be necessary unless you are competing. Typically its the high voltage that kills the opti and causes misfiring. The optical part can fail but it's all or nothing. Either it works or it doesn't.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:13 AM
TECH Resident

Only if you had a tune before and even then it may not be necessary unless you are competing. Typically its the high voltage that kills the opti and causes misfiring. The optical part can fail but it's all or nothing. Either it works or it doesn't.
Awesome, Im pretty excited about getting it... just gotta tell my friend to get it:p

Thanks for all your help guys!
Old 02-07-2006, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

NOTE: Low resistance plug wires like the MSD Superconductor, as well as similar products by other manufacturers have been known to cause
problems on LTCC equipped vehicles.
is this still an issue?
Old 02-09-2006, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blkchevyz
is this still an issue?
They told me it was so I went with the Delteq. I am currently using the stock 8mm EMI suppression wires with the Delteq. I see no reason to change them at this point.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by C6CorvetteZ06
For those with a DELTEQ system and one of the following:
- SC car
- SC car with built engine

What, if anything are you using to retard your timing under boost? I know there is an MSD digital box that will work with the Delteq and perform this function. Anyone using it with success? There's also the option of programming the amount of retard that you need into the PCM via a good dyno tune session. Who went this route?

Any info. would be appreciated.
Thx.
KRZ
Checkout: Delteq Stuff

It has the full Delteq setup, Billet opti cover, Elite Spark Plug wires, MSD wire retainers, DIS coil adapters, DIS coils and DIS-4 Plus ignition... Now this ignition is not boost referenced for retard, as they assume a given amount of retard to be programmed (for example, 4 degrees) and you can use a hobbs switch to activate the retard when a preset amount of boost is reached...

Personally, I just program the PCM with a custom setup... I am using the DIS retard feature as well as some other 'tricks' for 'future expansion' in the next month or two...
Old 02-10-2006, 12:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

95 TA - The beast, The Delteq setup looks great. Where did you place the MSD 8912 ( pair ). I'm just wondering how you interpreted the coil/rpm signal for a separate tach/shiftlight ?
Old 02-10-2006, 12:56 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 96silverram
95 TA - The beast, The Delteq setup looks great. Where did you place the MSD 8912 ( pair ). I'm just wondering how you interpreted the coil/rpm signal for a separate tach/shiftlight ?
You do not need the tach adapters to do that with our cars, all you need to do is tap into teh white tach wire from the PCM... It is too late for me to go dig up the manuals, but there has to be a reference online...

Just so you know the entire ignition system outside of the ICM and coil not being there is the same... So all of the signals to/from teh PCM are as if the car used a stock ignition... Nothing special in the way of hookups needed...
Old 02-10-2006, 02:52 PM
12 Second Club

Yea, I know you can tap the pcm wire, but I personally have never been able to get that to work consistently on my car for some reason. I finally gave up and decided to use the trick little plug/play setup of MSD to get my signal

I can't say it enough, your install looks spectacular. I have some of my 1/2 done install posted in another thread in the LT1 section under the thread name:

Uh oh, somebody was busy this weekend ! Take a look and tell me what you think
Old 02-15-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

They told me it was so I went with the Delteq. I am currently using the stock 8mm EMI suppression wires with the Delteq. I see no reason to change them at this point.

did they tell you why it causes problems?
it just kind of scares me that if a Low resistance wire causes issue, is it messing up your ignition timing?
Old 02-15-2006, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blkchevyz
did they tell you why it causes problems?
it just kind of scares me that if a Low resistance wire causes issue, is it messing up your ignition timing?
I didn't ask so I don't know. You can ask them.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:37 PM
Teching In

I went w/ LTCC b/c i felt it was a better overall product. The built in retard and rev limiter also put it above delteq IMO. I haven't installed it yet but it just came in the mail and looks awesome. VERY impressed so far with the quality.

Pics of mine:

Old 03-14-2006, 01:27 AM
Teching In

I think im going to go with the Ltcc aswell, i love the fact that i can upgrade to LS1 MSD coils. Talk about a bullit proof ignition system lol.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BRETTINATOR
I built some brackets for someones 383, he mounted them on the valve covers centerbolt, looked clean. was thinking of building a under firewall bracket for mine or maybe even getting a strut tower brace and coming up with a clean looking bracket hovering over the headers. That might interfere with the Victor series custom intake planned in Sep though so still kicking around ideas. Have any pics of your setup? thanks
I have not read this whole thread yet but I am going to....
I had the LTCC set up on my other car and really liked its features too, 2 step, or timing retard, etc, very nice. I had the coils (8) mounted to the firewall behind the intake. I used OTVC looms and ran them to the back of the car, I think it looked cool and I could have really made it look better if that was my intentions. It was a pain to install but I did my car and a buddy's car like that.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:26 PM
12 Second Club

I don't know if I would call either one better than the other, they are both excellent products and two different ways to arrive at the same end result. If your trying to have two step & timing retard that is very easy to accomplish with the DELTEQ system. It requires a MSD's DIS4 & 4 coil interrupt modules. You can also add the MSD DIS Red Twin tower coils to the DELTEQ setup for a complete bullet-proof setup. Overall, DELTEQ's setup with the MSD stuff will cost a little more than a LTCC with 8 MSD red coils and mounting brackets, but I feel they are both excellent products to accomplish solving a long standing LT1 problem.

Delteq system $640
(includes wires)
MSD 2 tower red coils (4)
MSD DIS4 $450 (timing retard & two step)
MSD coil interrupts (4) $120
(included)
Total: $1370

LTCC $400
Taylor wires (suggested) $70
MSD LS1 red coils (8) $580
LTCC does timing retard & two step
LTCC does not need coil inter-rupt modules
LTCC coil brackets $70 ??
Total: $1120

In an effort to make things comparable I have shown the Delteq system with the additional parts for timing retard & two step. I also have shown both systems as if they were done with money no object to get all the best parts and compare on an equal setting. I'm sure both system could be done for much less, but overall I feel both setups are comparable. If your going bare bones and need the two step & timing retard the LTCC can be done for less money.

Hope this helps, 95 T/A beast has some excellent pics of the DELTEQ setup, as well as myself. I'm sure there will be some great pics of the LTCC to come soon from FATAL LT1.

Here's mine (not completely finished yet. Still installing the MSD DIS4 and the (4) inter-rupt modules)

Last edited by 96silverram; 03-18-2008 at 01:01 PM.

Quick Reply: DelTeq vs. LTCC