LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

car running hot but no circulation?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car running hot but no circulation?

earlier tonight i started my car for the first time in a year, which was great except after it warmed up it started running hot. i had a tune from madz28 and i have the 160 thermostat. when i filled the radiator up i put a gallon of antifreeze and the rest (about a half gallon) of water.

it started running hot but there was no water in any hoses and no pressure on the radiator cap. so we took the thermostat out and filled the water pump with water/antifreeze and sealed it back up and let it run. it ran cooler but it still started to get hot. every hose EXCEPT the one on the top passengers side that goes to the water pump got warm. i know i put that pump on right with the driveshaft and everything. whats going on?? oh also the sensor on the water pump was leaking a little, maybe letting out pressure? i gotta tighten that up
Old 02-06-2006, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like its got air in the system, use the two bleeder screws, there one on the thermostat housing and another on the heater hose.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah, you just need to bleed it.

when you add coolant like you did you want to open the two bleeder screws while you're filling. i usually can get coolant to flow out of hte bleeder screw on the hose with the thermostat when it gets to the top so it's pretty much bled.

after that run the car and open the bleeder screws. i usually just do one at a time. the correct directions may say to open both, but i just do it one at a time and i've done it so many times that i can do it quickly.

you probably have a good bit of air so it's going to take a good bit of bleeding and might have to continue over a day or two.

open the bleeders and keep them open until coolant is flowing steadily out. once coolant streams out close them. i usually do the thermostat line one first and then one for the heater core. run the car and see if it stays cool or gets hot again. when i didn't open the bleeder screws to fill the radiator i usually had to bleed it good, then drive around the block a little, bleed it more and repeat until it stayed cool.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

ok yeah i bled it and it took awhile to get some fluid and i ran it and tried again and no air came out. i only checked the one by the thermostat because i didnt really see the other one. it runs about 210 now even though i have the 160 thermostat and a tune, so i probably need to mess with it some more.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

one is almost under the elbow right off of the thermostat and the other one is on the small line right in front of the alternator. if you still can't find whichever one you're missing, one is on the big line from the radiator that goes to the top of the water pump from the passenger side. the other one is not far to the left of that on one of the smaller lines that comes off the water pump and goes back to the firewall/heater core.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:29 PM
TECH Regular

I usually run the engine with the radiator cap off and add coolant when the level drops with the opening of the thermostat. I don't drive it until I've done this over several cool down times to make sure all the air is out. I didn't mess with the coolant drain plugs since they can be a pain.

Quick Reply: car running hot but no circulation?