LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Anybody running the Hydra-rev kit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006 | 01:38 AM
Teching In

Question Anybody running the Hydra-rev kit?

I was wondering if anybody was running this kit in there setup? Give me the good bad and the ugly.
Old 02-18-2006 | 02:57 AM
10 Second Club

PITA to install but valve train is stable to 7,000. Then again I only put it in so I would not toss a lifter
Old 02-18-2006 | 06:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

I haven't installed mine yet, but I'll be using it on a solid-roller setup. I honestly don't think it's necessary -- especially not on a near-stock vehicle, which won't be seeing very high engine speeds. It's just somewhat of a backup, and it helps ensure that the lifters remain in-contact with the cam lobe.

I suppose I'll have more to say after I run it for a while...
Old 02-18-2006 | 08:31 AM
11 Second Club

Honestly IMO with the availablility of beehives that makes the rev kits a whole lot less useful. The thing I saw as the biggest benifit to it was the ability to put some spring pressure to the lifter body and not have to run quite so much spring at the valve and therefore on the plunger. Beehives allow such reduced pressure for the same valvetrain stability that they are all that is needed if staying inside our pcms limits.

Ellis does make a good point about lifter retension should you snap a pushrod or something but ideally we are setting things up well enough for that to not happen, though you can never prevent 100% of failures.
Old 02-18-2006 | 09:09 AM
8 Second Club

I highly recommend the AFR rev-kit. I yeilded many 9 sec passes on my hydraulic cam and the rev-kit spinning to 7000 rpms. Before the rev-kit.....it would only take a few high rpm passes before the springs would give out and start valve floating. This rev-kit pushes down on the lifter body and assists keeping the lifter on the cam lobe at high rpms which in turn saves the valve springs. I think I had around 70 or so high rpm passes with no problems after the kit was installed. I switched to a solid roller now but if I ever go back to a hydraulic.....it will be with a rev-kit. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Anybody running the Hydra-rev kit?