LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Custom Alternators & Tall perimiter valve covers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 06:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Custom Alternators & Tall perimiter valve covers?

A) Who makes a low profile alternator that fits the fulcrum & lock down bolt for LT cars? I am not using the stock alt to intake manifold bracket so that fitup doesn't matter, just the main brkt.

B) Who makes nice custom tall valve covers, perimiter bolt only, same car, just using the AFR perimiter bolts instead of center. I have the low profile valve covers now but want to go taller for shaft mounted rockers and do not want to lose the AC using the Alternator relocation bracket.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I modified mine to work with the stock alternator. There are some pics some where around here
Old 03-01-2006, 06:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
I modified mine to work with the stock alternator. There are some pics some where around here
Well I had to modify mine too to clear where it was hitting these low profile covers. I really would like a slender style alternator though that would fit the bracket and clear any cover though. These perimiter covers fit nice & with the Felpro $43 dryfit gaskets they don't leak a drop, but I want custom tall covers for the new engine setup, Jessel shaft mounted rockers won't clear these covers.

Old 03-01-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember seeing a post where a guy was attempting the same thing you're wanting to do and what he did was remove all the accessories from the bracket and then unbolted the bracket itself and put spacers behind it and used longer bolts to reinstall it. He had a spacer machined for the balancer to move it out the same distance. It spaced the alternator far enough forward for him to use regular valve covers.