Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ron you have a PM
Old 03-24-2006, 11:43 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I realize guys think this is a intake that only helps "top end" power but that's not the whole story. I've used these on motors that are 30 cubes smaller than other motors and made MORE TQ.

Getting close to 1.5 ft lbs per cube of TQ is not an easy task, but I've seen that with these intakes on motors a few times. When you compare that to a good LT1 intake setup you are around 1.4 ft lbs per cube and most a lot lower than that. More like 1.25-1.30 ft lbs per cube.

In reality I would expect a peak TQ gain of 30 ft lbs and 20hp easy, with a 5% gain in average power from stall to shift point.

Ron's setup will be a good test though, he should be over the 500rwhp barrier with this.

Bret
Old 03-24-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo_6
dhdenney, There are wiring harness converters for the Accufab/Ford TB that I'll be running so that it is plug and play with the factory TPS harness. The MAP sensor will have an adapter also that allows it to be used but remote mounted. All the other vacuum lines will be kept, you can't see them, but the vacuum ports are attached to the back of the intake elbow. Here is a link to the website that makes the adapters.

http://www.raceprovenmotors.com/cart...p?cPath=43_127
Thanks, I always wondered how one could get around that.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've gotta ask: the purple paint on the inner surfaces, was the decision to do this related to heat transfer?
Old 03-24-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Resident

That's sex.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

Very nice.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:31 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

cost cost cost...

would it be possible to use the stock lt1 fuel rails and injectors? then just buy a intake wiht the fuel injector bungs already done and such... and buy the throttle body and elbow? add the sensors and be done? And how much difference in tuning is needed between this and the stock intake?
Old 03-24-2006, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

Soundandfury, its not paint, it is an antifriction/heat rejection ceramic coating from polydyn.

Dragframe, like I said earlier, if you would want some specifics about cost, I'd recommend calling or emailing Bret at BRE as to what he'd charge. I'm sure he could answer your questions regarding any cheaper alternatives. Honestly though, you wouldn't save very much trying to use LT1 fuel rails, aftermarket rails are fairly cheap, and this setup uses standard injectors and if you could make use of one of these intakes, you won't be running stock LT1 24# injectors anyway. I won't know the answer to the tuning question until we actually put it on the dyno. Maybe Bret could comment on that a little further.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I'm excited to get it on the car and see if it runs as well as it looks!
Old 03-24-2006, 06:49 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo_6
Soundandfury, its not paint, it is an antifriction/heat rejection ceramic coating from polydyn.

Dragframe, like I said earlier, if you would want some specifics about cost, I'd recommend calling or emailing Bret at BRE as to what he'd charge. I'm sure he could answer your questions regarding any cheaper alternatives. Honestly though, you wouldn't save very much trying to use LT1 fuel rails, aftermarket rails are fairly cheap, and this setup uses standard injectors and if you could make use of one of these intakes, you won't be running stock LT1 24# injectors anyway. I won't know the answer to the tuning question until we actually put it on the dyno. Maybe Bret could comment on that a little further.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I'm excited to get it on the car and see if it runs as well as it looks!
well i will be running 42# injectors... but i figured to keep money i would use the stock lt1 fuel... im not sure what hte intake itself cost.. but after the elbow... the throttlebody.. and assorted sensors, it is already getting $$$.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

I am in the process of a similar conversion now and my intake cost 1200 fully ported and machined to bolt to the lt1 no coating that included fuel rails plus t body and am having a custm elbow made as we speak by intakeelbows.com after all said and done probably a 2000 dollar upgrade
Old 03-25-2006, 12:10 AM
Teching In

Looks awesome.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:29 AM
Banned

The price of the fuel rails is minimal. It would cost more for me to measure out a set of stock rails and make them work with the single plane.... I understand this is not the cheapest thing in the word but when you are looking for a cheap alternative to a sheetmetal intake it's the way to go. I worry about costs for the end consumure AND make sure I make enough to do a GOOD job on the intake... when you are dealing with 100% hand work to do everything you need to make sure the guy is being paid well to do what he does.

Bret
Old 03-25-2006, 03:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
this is not the cheapest thing in the word but when you are looking for a cheap alternative to a sheetmetal intake it's the way to go. I worry about costs for the end consumure AND make sure I make enough to do a GOOD job on the intake... when you are dealing with 100% hand work to do everything you need to make sure the guy is being paid well to do what he does.

Bret
Well said, sums up the optimum goals for both customer & builder.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
I realize guys think this is a intake that only helps "top end" power but that's not the whole story. I've used these on motors that are 30 cubes smaller than other motors and made MORE TQ.

Getting close to 1.5 ft lbs per cube of TQ is not an easy task, but I've seen that with these intakes on motors a few times. When you compare that to a good LT1 intake setup you are around 1.4 ft lbs per cube and most a lot lower than that. More like 1.25-1.30 ft lbs per cube.

In reality I would expect a peak TQ gain of 30 ft lbs and 20hp easy, with a 5% gain in average power from stall to shift point.

Ron's setup will be a good test though, he should be over the 500rwhp barrier with this.

Bret
People think of iot as topend only because compared to the dual plane intakes that came stock on the Gen1s this was designed for it is a topend piece on those motors. People lack the objectivity to realize that this has longer runners than the stock LT1 intake and therefore would not be a strictly topend thing. Of course there is more to it with the fuel distribution differences of carb vs. injection and such but that is the cliff's notes right?

Quick Reply: Pics of my BRE Single Plane Intake!