LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

how fast are the srt4's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 11:12 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by burnzilla
uhhhh.....

Dodge and Mitsubishi have been in ca-hoots for almost 15 years.
The stratus, concorde's, avengers. neons, vans, and many other all use Mitsy motors, and tranny's.

There were only a couple of plants that built Fbodies, one in Canada, and I think 2 in USA, maybe 1, not sure.

Id rather lose in my LT1, then win in a Neon.
The Dodge SRT4 was designed an dbuilt completely by dodge. the only mitsubishi peice on the entire car is the turbocharger, nothing else.

The 420A was a mitsu motor, as was the 3.0v6. Nothing else was made by mitsu.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:45 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteSSP
The Dodge SRT4 was designed an dbuilt completely by dodge.

Dodge ( and many other domestic brands ) have been copying foreign technology for a while now.

Neons are sub-par vehicles. They are cheaply made, lasting several years at best. They lose 70% of thier value in 3 years.

However....
It is impressive for a car to run a 14.2 stock for just a four banger, and at a descent price.

But in the end, if it sounds like a neon, looks like a neon, and feels like a neon, its a damn neon. A good college car for girls and freshman toddlers.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:59 AM
Teching In

i work for chrystler and ive driven more then a few srt4's, and when i think about cars i have them all in seperate groups, when i think of the srt4 its in the group with the sti and the evo, and the srt is the slowest but also cheapest, the stage 3 will definatly jump all over my SS no matter how much i hate to admit it, but my SS is bone stock, now on the other hand i also used to work for subaru and ive seen more then one mention of the wrx sti and im a f-bodie guy, but ive got to tell you, unless youve got some some decent mods on your LT1 youll never take it on the drag strip, and even with some serious engine mods you will still need extencive suspension mods to keep up on a road couse, but in any case a stage 1 even with intake, exhaust, and added tuning it still wouldent take a Z-06 in any situation
Old 04-04-2006, 08:18 AM
Launching!

Dodge ( and many other domestic brands ) have been copying foreign technology for a while now.

Neons are sub-par vehicles. They are cheaply made, lasting several years at best. They lose 70% of thier value in 3 years.

However....
It is impressive for a car to run a 14.2 stock for just a four banger, and at a descent price.

But in the end, if it sounds like a neon, looks like a neon, and feels like a neon, its a damn neon. A good college car for girls and freshman toddlers.
Um, what did dodge "copy" from foreign manufacturers? Please enlighten me

My neon is better put together than my Formula. They're both cheaply made american cars with minimal quality. BTW, my SRT4 motor will handle well over 500hp and torque at the wheels, from a 2.4liter 4 cylinder. And 03 SRT4's are still going for 14k, or 75% of their original value.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:26 AM
Banned

Um, what did dodge "copy" from foreign manufacturers? Please enlighten me.
Gladly

Mainly Technology.

Design and craftsmanship, ideas, layouts and schematics for frames, motor design and efficiency, interior build, body design, etc etc.
Foreign technology is way ahead of domestic. Not as true now, the years have went by and the Global Market has changed. Many american corporations have liabilities, stakeholders and warehouses in other countries.
People learn from one another now, its not as selfish.
Some examples are:
The GTO, a Holden design.
The new buick was made in Europe.
The Dodge Stealth
etc.

My neon is better put together than my Formula.
What year is your neon, 05'?

There arent many cars manufactered more cheaply then a neon.

They're both cheaply made american cars with minimal quality .
Now youre getting it!

BTW, my SRT4 motor will handle well over 500hp and torque at the wheels, from a 2.4liter 4 cylinder. .
My 1991 Nissan 2.4L DOHC 16 Valve could do the same thing....
15 Years ago
It was 160 hp stock. No Turbo or IC
Rwd Posse with much better build quality and design than your SRT4
Had Super HICAS AWS, and a Independent MultiLink Suspension.
The same kind found on Corvettes.....
Still confused? Refer to top

And 03 SRT4's are still going for 14k, or 75% of their original value.
You got a nice car, but dont kid yourself. If its on a lot for 14K, dealers get it a for about 6-8K. 2 more years, 3-4K.
The only thing Nice about that car is the SRT4 package.

Old 04-04-2006, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Some kid my friend is friends with has an SRT-4 and wants to race me. My friend said he has a loud blow off valve and he said that he told him he has a lot done to it. He said he ran a 14.1 at the track because he had no traction, and now he has better tires. I'll run him about a 13.0-13.3, and see what happens.

If anything, Dodge has "copied" off of Mercedes' "technology" and their quality control has gone through the roof. Dodge makes a very nicely well built product now-a-days.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:37 PM
Launching!

Gladly

Mainly Technology.

Design and craftsmanship, ideas, layouts and schematics for frames, motor design and efficiency, interior build, body design, etc etc.
Foreign technology is way ahead of domestic. Not as true now, the years have went by and the Global Market has changed. Many american corporations have liabilities, stakeholders and warehouses in other countries.
People learn from one another now, its not as selfish.
Some examples are:
The GTO, a Holden design.
The new buick was made in Europe.
The Dodge Stealth
etc.

What year is your neon, 05'?

There arent many cars manufactered more cheaply then a neon.

Now youre getting it!

My 1991 Nissan 2.4L DOHC 16 Valve could do the same thing....
15 Years ago
It was 160 hp stock. No Turbo or IC
Rwd Posse with much better build quality and design than your SRT4
Had Super HICAS AWS, and a Independent MultiLink Suspension.
The same kind found on Corvettes.....
Still confused? Refer to top

You got a nice car, but dont kid yourself. If its on a lot for 14K, dealers get it a for about 6-8K. 2 more years, 3-4K.
The only thing Nice about that car is the SRT4 package.

Oh I'm not kidding myself at all, its a neon, and yeah it is cheaply made, but not moreso than any other 20k car. And the 14k was referring to privately owned vehicle, not ones on dealer lots.

And those that "foreign technology" is very broad, please narrow down bits of the srt4 or neon in general that is foreign, besides the build process.

Either way, in all honesty who cares, i dont really know why i'm defending the car. Its a quick neon, nothing more, nothing less. Its basically a overbuilt motor in a neon with some ricey **** to make people want to buy it. Its fun enough for what it is, but FWD is its downfall.

And I hope you're not talking about the build quality of a 1991 240sx, they're just as bad as any cheaply made vehicle created during that time period.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sscamaro96
now on the other hand i also used to work for subaru and ive seen more then one mention of the wrx sti and im a f-bodie guy, but ive got to tell you, unless youve got some some decent mods on your LT1 youll never take it on the drag strip, and even with some serious engine mods you will still need extencive suspension mods to keep up on a road couse, but in any case a stage 1 even with intake, exhaust, and added tuning it still wouldent take a Z-06 in any situation
I think your giving the STI a little to much. An LT1 does not need extensive mods to beat an STI. There is even a video on here that shows that. A 97 LT1 with bolt ons against a catback STI and the LT1 beat it. STI's only trap about 100 MPH. (on a good run) A stock LT1 will trap about the same, if not about 98-99.

An LT1 with LT's and an intake, with good tires can take an STI at the strip. From a roll, stock for stock they are not far off. (not extensive) Keep in mind the STI loses about a 25% drivetrain loss through the AWD.

I actually just ran an STI the other day and was about to post it. I have a 94 Z28 with a few bolt ons. (LT's Matching Y-pipe and a moroso CAI) We raced from a dig and a roll. The first time, he pulled a half a car on me off the line because I was spinning and I passed him once I got traction. We only went to about 65 the first race and I had almost a car on him. The second race he wanted to go from a roll. We went from 50 and I pulled instanly. I had about 2 cars on him to 95. I ended up knowing the kid too...

Just goes to show you LT1's don't need extensive modifications to beat an STI...
Old 04-04-2006, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GreenbeanZ28
I ran 8.85/83 mph in my buddy's stock SRT-4. Thats waaaaay faster than what my stock LT1 ran (9.07/79 mph).
I'm really impressed with that MPH. Maybe the Srt-4's die up top. I know stock they don't trap much more than 99-101. With a MPH like 83 it seems like it would be good for 103-104...Just my 2 cents.

I have seen stock ones trap around 78-79 MPH in the 1/8 and that seems more logical to me. Are you sure it wasn't a stage 1 SRT-4 or something? (bolt ons) I go to the track a lot, that's why I'm curious about this. Stock for stock, an SRT-4 is a good match against a stock 99-04 Mustang GT. They as well do not trap more than 98-100 MPH stock. Usually, I see mustangs trapping about 78 in the 1/8. (stock)

Another good race is an STI against an SRT-4 from a roll. Very close race. I have a couple of friends who go at it and it's close...
Old 04-04-2006, 10:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

not to jack thread but would my car in sig have a chance from a 50mph roll race against an evo with exhaust? BTW theres an SRT-4 around here that spanks cars all over the place so those things scare me I'd watch out for them.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:56 AM
Launching!

I trapped 80-81mph in the 1/8 bone stock, and 83-84mph in the 1/8 with a spring on the wastegate (more boost). My car died up top BAD with the spring, probably because it was boosting too much in 4th gear and yanking timing (I went from 83mph to 100mph, the same trap I was hitting stock even though my 1/8 trap went up 2-3mph).

And the only way you'll beat an STi in a stock LT1 is from a roll, and even then it'll be close. My friend ran a 13.03@103 in his bone stock 04 STi, and ran a 12.7@106 with just a downpipe and exhaust in his 05 STi.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:02 PM
11 Second Club

There was (not sure if he still has it) a guy tooling around Clear Lake in a yellow SRT that put down 500 to the front, not sure how well he hooked it up but it was quick. I raced some bozo couple years back with a blue one, he had no clue how to line up, we finally did though, I was impressed, I walked away slowly but not like I spanked it. It's not bad for a MILF car, something to drive when the weather is too bad for the beast
Old 04-05-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I trapped 80-81mph in the 1/8 bone stock, and 83-84mph in the 1/8 with a spring on the wastegate (more boost). My car died up top BAD with the spring, probably because it was boosting too much in 4th gear and yanking timing (I went from 83mph to 100mph, the same trap I was hitting stock even though my 1/8 trap went up 2-3mph).

And the only way you'll beat an STi in a stock LT1 is from a roll, and even then it'll be close. My friend ran a 13.03@103 in his bone stock 04 STi, and ran a 12.7@106 with just a downpipe and exhaust in his 05 STi.
That sounds about right. I heard that SRT-4's die in 4th gear for some reason. (Stock, or with the spring mod) It's true too. A buddy of mine has a 99 GT with exhaust and ran against my friends SRT-4 with a downpipe and BOV. The SRT-4 would pull a little ahead until 4th gear and it stayed even.

That's a pretty quick MPH for a stock STI, but I believe it. That's exactly what I was saying. From a roll, stock for stock an LT1 would be a good race. (I would give the win to the STI though) All I was trying to say is that it does not take extensive modifications for an LT1 to take an STI at the track...
Old 04-05-2006, 05:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Camaro 0wner
All I was trying to say is that it does not take extensive modifications for an LT1 to take an STI at the track...
I ran a 13.8 with just a tune and CAI on my 95 ( A4 )
Old 04-05-2006, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

Some of these lt1 guys probably need a tune up. I lost to an evo from about a 40 mph roll(by like 2 lengths up to a 100), and it had at least exhaust, and a blow off valve. When we raced the sound of the turbo spooling was insane. He took off the wing, and had major weight reduction(not even his fricking headliner). I just have a m6 z with a 6 speed and my car was missing due to old plug wires and bosch plugs. Gave my car a tune up, no more misses and runs great and feels alot faster. Try new plugs wires fuel filter and run some fuel injector cleaner, probably help some of you guys out who are loosing to these jacked up neons.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:10 PM
Launching!

Or they could just come up with a metric shitton of excuses as to why they got beat by a 4 cylinder, like you seem to be doing. Sometimes, you just have to tip your hat to the faster car, no matter what it is.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:26 PM
Teching In

Default SRT4/SS owner

I own a 2003 SRT-4 yellow with Mopar stage 1, AEM Short Ram Intake, AGP Manuel Boost Controller, Borla Exausht, MSD Ignition plugs and Wires, Yokohama Parada Spec-2 and Im only running on a good track night 13.7 on a good night. I know for a fact that your friend is Bull shiting because I also own a 2000 Camaro SS SLP edition dynoed at 345rwhp and my SRT has a very hard time keeping up with me, and in my SS i have a hard time keeping with a ZO6. Now I can see if your friend had a Stage 3 Mopar Kit then i can see him wasting a Vett any day.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

just wait untill some of you idiots find yourself next to a srt-4 sporting a 50 trim and putting down to the wheels more than your car make flywheel....

I dont care what you people think of 4 bangers, sixxers, or how the car looks. what does it matter? The thread (and 90% of the threads in this forum) are about speed. The second a fast four banger is mentioned then all the sudden it becomes a beauty contest.

"They are ugly" "Just a gay neon" blah blah blah

Move on a take your beating from the damn skittle. They are a force to be recond with.... unless you add f/i to the v8
Old 04-19-2006, 04:04 PM
Teching In

Default srt4

I own a 04 srt4 with a 50 trim and all supporting mods(intercooler,fuel upgrades,boost controller, exhuast,intake,stage 1 pcm) I put down 418 hp at 21 pounds of boost last sat. I LOVE the high HP fbodies dont get me wrong but i dont think any bolt on camaro or firebird can come close to hangin with me from a 20 roll and yeah i agree from a dig it turns into fishing for me..just gotta reel um in. There are alot of chodes out there that make guys like me who have love for ALL cars look bad but there are some srt's out there that will eat ya up so be carefull
Old 04-19-2006, 05:04 PM
Launching!

Sounds to me like you last two guys are a single troll. IP check anyone?

Quick Reply: how fast are the srt4's?