LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 starter wiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 03:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 starter wiring

ok i got everything put back together but im having trouble with the starter wiring... i know the big connection coming from the positive battery goes on the big post but on the other post i know the small connector goes on it but where does the other small one go thats down there and where does the ground coming from the battery that runs next to the positive that does to the starter ground out at i hooked it up on part of the motor mount on the engine side... this is the last thing i need to start the car tired to start it but the starter wont turn the car over
Old 04-13-2006, 04:00 PM
12 Second Club

also i got the starter to turn over.... when i took it off there were no shims on it but know when i turn the key to start the car im getting the metal on metal grinding sound instead of cranking
Old 04-13-2006, 04:05 PM
11 Second Club

This is an aftermarket like TCI or something right? If it's just a stocker and it's grinding I'd be curious whether or not you have it sitting flush.

before I respond on wiring I'll wait and see if your stock or not.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:14 PM
12 Second Club

yep stock starter... oh and its bolted on all the way think i got all the wiring right just not sure, but this grinding is bothering me i want to start the car but i cant cause im having problems...... i called a local shop they said to try getting a shim and see what happens
Old 04-13-2006, 11:30 PM
12 Second Club

well its turning the flywheel just barely i cant get the starter teeth to mesh completely with the flywheel bolts i dont know what to do its just being a major PITA ..... do everything to tear out a engine get it rebuilt put it back in and then a stupid thing like the starter screws it all up.....aaaarrrgggghhh pissing me off
Old 04-13-2006, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

did you change the flywheel or starter out when you rebuilt it, I mean like a different one that you originally had in it?

When I worked for Pepboys, every once and a while, the factory would make a starter with the wrong bendix or gear. Pretty weird, but it happens maybe that is what happened to you?
Old 04-13-2006, 11:51 PM
11 Second Club

Same thing I'm curious about is the gear itself on the starter, doesn't sound like you replaced it though, just trying to hook it back up, or was the stocker bad and you replaced it with this new stock starter? If that's the case what Captain said, could be the solenoid kickout gear whatever it's called. I'd bring it back have it exchanged if you changed starters.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:51 AM
12 Second Club

nope exact same starter and flywheel as when i took it off... i did a tranny swap from a A4 to M6 and used the same starter on that flywheel instead of the flexplate and it worked fine now trying to put it back together this time it isnt working right
Old 04-14-2006, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

That is your problem I think. It has been a long time since I worked for Pep boys but I think there is two different part numbers for a Manual tranny and a slushbox tranny. That might be your problem.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:40 AM
12 Second Club

maybe im gonna call abc and check real quick see what they say its odd though because it worked before for 3 months straight with the 6 speed
EDIT: Called ABC same starter for A4 and M6.... could the solinoid have gone bad after sitting for a month or so out on the ground its doenst look like its pushing the bendix gears on the starter all the way out to mesh with the flywheel
Old 04-14-2006, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea they will work for a while and do that, it happened to my little bro, he doesnt know jack about cars, so he went and bought the starter after I diagnosed his truck, and I told him how to replace it and he did and a couple months or weeks cant remember he called me because it stranded him at his girlfriends house. I went and took it apart and they gave him the wrong starter. It was for a 90s chevy truck, and his is an 80 K10, the gear is different from those two, but we got lucky and only the gear was fragged, no damage to the flywheel.

Quick Reply: LT1 starter wiring