LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

underdrive pulley ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 08:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default underdrive pulley ?

i know this might have been asked plenty of times but.... are they worth it? and why do some only have the crank pulley? whats the differance with/without the altinator pulley? this is the only bolt on i have left to do for the engine and i'd like to know if they are worth getting or if the're dead weight on the crank snout?
Old 04-15-2006, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by silverlt1ss
i know this might have been asked plenty of times but.... are they worth it? and why do some only have the crank pulley? whats the differance with/without the altinator pulley? this is the only bolt on i have left to do for the engine and i'd like to know if they are worth getting or if the're dead weight on the crank snout?
I have one on my car. I did it to improve my gas mileage. I didnt really see an improvement in my performance. but I gained about 1 or 2 miles per gallon on the highway. But my A/C isnt as cold anymore. But before it was like a freezer so its ok.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

you dont really see a gain in hp because you have to put the stock crank pulley back on i believe because it is the harmonic balancer also. so you can run the smaller pulley but you still need the stocker so personally i feel theyre not that great of an investment.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Without the smaller alternator pulley the alternator shaft spins slower, meaning less voltage, and the voltage jumps around and can drop pretty low

With it the voltage stays closer to stock.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 281 Likes on 214 Posts

I have a 34% underdrive setup in my car. You unbolt the Harmonic Balancer off, which is also the stock crank pulley, and you bolt the underdrive pulley, then the balancer back on with the bolts. The Balancer will go over the underdrive pulley. I have a High-Output Altenator, and I usually run higher RPM's with the 3.73's, so there was no difference in electrical power. All I needed was a shorter belt. I have no AC, took it out. The engine will get up in RPM's faster. IMO, every little bit helps.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased the set for my car. At first, I ran only the crank pulley. While idling at the strip, the battery discharged enough that the car died and had to be jumped. After I installed the alternator overdrive pulley, I have not encountered any more problems. The power steering and air conditioner are now underdriven. The steering has more effort at low speeds, but is not a problem.
Power increase was slight, but every little bit helps.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

IMO these piggyback pullies are a bad idea, you are adding rotating mass and moving the damper away from what it needs to dampen. That said a stock car might have issues with just an UD crank pulley but no alt. pulley, but a cammed car with a bumped idle will likely be just fine.

The right way to do this would be to get something like the lighter ATI, better, lighter , rebuildable dampening with the UD, it aint cheap though.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 281 Likes on 214 Posts

I have had no problems with my car with the cam in it. Then again, the crank is still the same rpms, just everything around it is slower.