LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8
Old 04-29-2016, 04:48 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

simplest way to rig up a push button start?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 10:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just see it as an extra unnecessary step. I have the switch at home with the whole wire diagram and everything necessary to install it. I am not doing it since my intentions were to completely eliminate the key.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:15 AM
Teching In

i use my cig lighter for my radar detector/xm radio

i'll just fab something up.. i've got a dremel and with a little bit of creativity, i shuld be able to make something work!

hopefully can get it done in under two hours
Old 04-21-2006, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I Just Added A Future Mod To My Long List Of Things To Come...
Old 04-21-2006, 11:28 AM
Teching In

haha, very nice.. i'll keep you guys updated on how the install goes
Old 04-21-2006, 11:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Azthrei
I would say for security sake, place the button in a spot like under the dash, and disable the key start. If you placed it somewhere out of sight, where someone trying to steal the car wouldn't look, it would be pretty darn safe. Especially if the key's "start" option was disabled for the push button start. It's not very "bling", but it'd be much safer.
99.999999% of people do it for looks......and the coolness factor......otherwise it's a waste of time really.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:51 AM
TECH Resident

Deciever, that's the problem I am also confronted with. If you cut the end off the radar detector cable, will you get two seperate wires, and could those be spliced into the 12V and ground wires? Take some pics and let us know what you did. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:18 PM
Teching In

i may give that a try as well... i dont necessarily speed around, but the radar detector is a nice little safety thing, but i could do without it, so i guess i'll cut it and see whats up
Old 04-21-2006, 06:44 PM
Teching In

quick question for any of you that might know..

in the bundle of wires that i'm supposed to be splicing/cutting -- theres 2 yellow wires -- not sure which one to pick...

one goes to the starter, and one goes to something else... what does the other one go to?
Old 04-21-2006, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

This is pretty sweet, i think im gonna do it.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:58 PM
Teching In

any one have any idea what the 2nd yellow wire leads to that i referenced before?
Old 04-22-2006, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by deciever
quick question for any of you that might know..

in the bundle of wires that i'm supposed to be splicing/cutting -- theres 2 yellow wires -- not sure which one to pick...

one goes to the starter, and one goes to something else... what does the other one go to?
Are they both the same thickness? If not, the ignition wire is the thicker one. If all else fails, get an electrical line tester of some sort to check for current in the yellow wire when the key goes to the start position.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:10 AM
Teching In

i think the other one MAY go to my lights.. i clipped it and now my head lights don't work....

maybe it's just a co-incidence, i dunno
Old 04-26-2006, 03:09 PM
Teching In

update ::

i found the right wire for the starter, and now when i connect it, my car cranks but will not turn over.

i'm getting 11.6 V from the battery, which should be enough to start it... should i use a thicker gauge wire?

does the fact that my ignition switch is probably broken matter? someone said that's the reason why my gauges don't work
Old 04-28-2006, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default push button start

i just talk to my local stero shop and was told : to do away with the key it would take 1 push button , 2 toggle switches ( one for accessories to like listen to the radio when the cars off, one to turn the car on. this one would have to be turned on to start the car with the push button ) there's a bypass for the chip on the key. you also have to remove the lock on your steering colum or the car would start and your steering wheel would be locked. you would have to lock and unlock your car with your remote key fob. when it's locked the start button would not work because your remote killed the starter connection.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:47 PM
Staging Lane

I just have a normal pushbutton. 2 long wires and a button and took me about 1 hour...hook negative wire to switch from starter. Positve wire from switch from to power source...waa laa...instant push button...still need the key...I did it because the key cylinder shorted out and caused my starter to constantly crank. I highly suggest you put in a kill switch for it though...Make sure you didnt tap into the wrong wires...when you put in your switch...and make sure the key is forward. It has to energize all the circuit in order for it to run...it will crank, but might not fire. good luck...got any questions about my setup...ask away...mine is simple and you dont have to splice into the harness at all...all external wires too...
Old 04-28-2006, 03:08 PM
Teching In

i just have a wire going from the starter wire (purple, by the theft deterrant system), and a 12v wire goinhg into it.

my car cranks but wont fire.... my gages also won't power up still... any advice? lol
Old 05-03-2006, 04:58 PM
Launching!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GENUI...spagenameZWDVW

Pretty nice lil package. I actually paid 51 bucks for the button itself from the dealer, the rest of the stuff I picked up from autozone and radio shack. This kit seems to come with everything you need!
Old 05-03-2006, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

Im firmly against tapping into the wiring harness, because unless its done right, it will cause you problems later. Again, I didnt tap into ANY WIRES in the harness for the push buttom nor do I have a kill switch (But I highly recommend it). I used two long 10-12 guage wires that were setup in the way I mentioned above. The only wires that I have tapped into were the wires for my 6 speed conversion...
Old 05-05-2006, 06:41 AM
Launching!

Yeah if I did it with that "kit" I would just wire the relay different and make my own circuit, there's no reason to even use all the stock stuff, too much trouble.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:50 AM
Launching!

I've been pulling my hair out for a couple days, I just realized I'm a complete idiot, I've been wiring everything to the starter wrong, GRRRRRRRRRR

Quick Reply: simplest way to rig up a push button start?