LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Camaro SS vs. Formula/Trans Am WS.6

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Domestic Demon
It may not be all its made out to be, but its definitely not a gimmick. It accomlishes the task of bringing cool air directly into the engine intake at speed, and the faster you go the more air is pushed in, which can give you a few more Horsepower at higher speeds (in excess of 100MPH).

At normal speeds or on the dyno its not going to give any more gain than a CAI, but its still more power than the factory stock non-ram air system.
Yes, in theory thats what it does, but have you actually looked past the scoops on the hood? Yea, not very free flowing, and even when the baffles are cut out, you have to be traveling at well over 100 mph to get any real gains over the CAI, i like them because it scares ricers and cleans up the engine bay, but for performance, I wouldn't go out of my way to get the Ram Air set up
Old 04-25-2006, 07:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

the faster you go the more air is pushed in
This is the error in your post and the reason that ram air is indeed a gimmick.

More air is not 'pushed in' with more speed until you get to about mach 0.3 (~200 mph) and the airflow becomes compressible. I'm not even going to attempt to explain what that means but if you are interested, consult a fluid mechanics textbook.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

like infinitebird said.... a intake setup cannot support any more air than its weakest point...if you got all sorts of air coming in and there is a weak point that slows down the airflow and volume then the engine wont use any more air than it needs or can get in...only as strong as the weakest link
Old 04-25-2006, 08:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by zlover129
Yes, in theory thats what it does, but have you actually looked past the scoops on the hood? Yea, not very free flowing, and even when the baffles are cut out, you have to be traveling at well over 100 mph to get any real gains over the CAI, i like them because it scares ricers and cleans up the engine bay, but for performance, I wouldn't go out of my way to get the Ram Air set up
Yea, I was wondering about that actually. Are those "baffles" easy to remove?? I'd rather have a more direct path for the air to flow through.

I agree about the scaring ricers and looking much more aggressive than the regular Firebird hood, thats the main reason I wanted it over a non WS6 car. Of course the suspension upgrades and Ram Air system are just some nice side benefits
Old 04-25-2006, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

and from my understanding the ss is not the same as a firehawk

z28=t/a
ss=ws6
etc
Old 04-25-2006, 08:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 3pnt4maro
and from my understanding the ss is not the same as a firehawk

z28=t/a
ss=ws6
etc
Thats what I'd say as well. From what I understand an SLP SS Camaro would be the equivelent of a Firehawk.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Z28 = T/A
SS = WS-6
All SLP optioned SS = Firehawk

and as for the formula I guess that could be like a 1LE or a B4C
Old 04-25-2006, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats what I'd say as well. From what I understand an SLP SS Camaro would be the equivelent of a Firehawk.

I agree with ya on that
Old 04-25-2006, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It may not be all its made out to be, but its definitely not a gimmick. It accomlishes the task of bringing cool air directly into the engine intake at speed, and the faster you go the more air is pushed in, which can give you a few more Horsepower at higher speeds (in excess of 100MPH).

At normal speeds or on the dyno its not going to give any more gain than a CAI, but its still more power than the factory stock non-ram air system.
Ram Air is a gimmick. Read up.

Quick Reply: Camaro SS vs. Formula/Trans Am WS.6