LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1le elbow...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 08:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had the ceramic coated one and it got really hot. Enough to where when i put my hand on it, its pretty hot. I traded for a ILE and the ile is alot cooler and much easier to take off when needed.

I didnt like the ceramic one because i always had problems keeping my opti vacuum line in the elbow and my IAT sensor.

So im with the ILE on this one.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Those ceramic ones are a lot harder to put nitrous applications on I hear.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

crazy95z28 is right on the money. i'd like to know what makes you people think a metal elbow holds less heat than a rubber one??? The ideal material would be plastic, next best being a rubber material, and finally metal(ceramic or not). Rubber has a tendency to create air turbulance due to it's high friction coefficient, whereas plastic can be made very smooth and flow air very well.

For an N/A or nitrous application, the 1LE elbow is the best you can get(unless someone makes a plastic one, which somebody should)
Old 04-25-2006, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ec_nova
crazy95z28 is right on the money. i'd like to know what makes you people think a metal elbow holds less heat than a rubber one??? The ideal material would be plastic, next best being a rubber material, and finally metal(ceramic or not). Rubber has a tendency to create air turbulance due to it's high friction coefficient, whereas plastic can be made very smooth and flow air very well.

For an N/A or nitrous application, the 1LE elbow is the best you can get(unless someone makes a plastic one, which somebody should)

i thought about that after i posted a rubber one might get hotter than ceramic..then i was liek well **** metal will heat up faster and hotter than rubber..thats why we dont have metal tires
Old 04-25-2006, 09:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ec_nova

I agree with this guy. Metal of anykind, even if it is coated acts as a heat sink. It will absorb more heat and stay hotter for longer. That is the great thing about ls1 intakes as opposed to lt1's. The aluminum lt1 intake heats up and once it is hot it stays hot for along time. The composite ls1 intake doesn't hold in the heat. The only reason I would get a ceramic or aluminum elbow is with a supercharger or just for the looks
Old 04-26-2006, 01:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Trick Flow elbow here and I love it. Helps air flow and it looks sooooo much better than the stock ugly elbow.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by J_BAT
any gain no matter how little is a good gain.
I agree.

Something to ponder....As you drive down the road, relatively cool air coming into your throttle body from the air intake/filter, does it really stay put long enough for the elbow to heat it up??
Old 04-26-2006, 10:21 AM
12 Second Club

I think the reason why my ceramic got hot is cause of the intake.

I didnt like having that thing hot unlike my ILE elbow. I have a dual nozzle setup on my ILE elbow and it was much easier to make than that metal one.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:31 PM
TECH Resident

1LE elbow for $60. It's where I got mine from.

www.miamimotorsports.com/Camaro_engine.htm