LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

MECHANICS HELP/various problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 10:01 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the opti. Hopefully it is.

And someone posted a while back that you found that debris in your oil pan? Whats the deal with that?
Old 05-11-2006, 05:24 PM
Teching In

Default New camshaft??

When did you put in this new cam?? If you buy an aftermarket cam, the stud that drives the opti is usually too long an it an ob-long the rotating motion of the rotor. This will eventually cause cracks in the cap and for the car to run like crap. Mak sure your opti is working good. ( This has happened to me, blew out an opti).
Old 05-11-2006, 05:36 PM
Teching In

Lightbulb

check the opti, absolutely it is that!!! If you had checked the igition control module, then your up to the opi to heck next. See if you're getting spark, if you are then see if it is timed right. those optis are very sensitive, the slightest bit of moisture could burn it out. Good luck an let us know!
Old 05-12-2006, 08:14 PM
Launching!

got opti out, the distributor was spinning free from the motor so it was fixed, put back in and now it is a different crank sound and timing but it STILL DONT START I HAVE THE WORST LUCK EVER
Old 05-13-2006, 12:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on those broken parts pictures you posted (seen earlier in this thread), I think you have some mechanical damage to your motor. Those pieces look like both tabs from the cam retainer, and maybe a piece of your timing gear or a piece of the actual block where the cam retainer attaches. If someone worked on your motor without realizing that these newer motors use a cam retainer, they might have missed something critical.

Have you done a simple cranking compression check of the motor? Checked valve adjustment?

You seem to be spinning your wheels here, and you've found and fixed a couple problems, but the car still won't run. Go back and check the basics:

Fuel
Air
Compression
Spark

Something will show up in one of them I'm sure.

Jim
Old 05-13-2006, 01:32 AM
Teching In

Have you checked the fuel filter? Sounds like its starving for fuel.....

you never know.......the smallest things causes the biggest problems. sometimes.........
Old 05-13-2006, 11:36 PM
Teching In

Default 1st Post!

Whats up!!New to this forum but longtime lt1 fanatic!!Look i've been an ASE certified tech for almost ten years now and if their is one thing i've learned is don't over diagnose a problem.If you changed the opti and did not have the problem prior,thats more than likely the source.You said you heard ticking that could very well be as simple as crossed or arcing plug wires.If not the case and your data scan of the computer shows nothing out of the ordinary check this out.There are two vent hoses on the opti,one goes to the intake elbow(in front of the maf),the other goes onto the left side of the intake manifold(after maf).The one that goes on the intake manifold has an inline check valve(about the size of a half dollar and plastic).This valve allows air only to be sucked into the intake,the other line does not have a check valve,if these lines are hooked up backwards a small amount of air will be sucked out of the intake.And since this air is un metered(after maf)it causes havoc on drivability.It may not be picked up by the ECM because early OBD2 cars aren't that sensitive. Visually check the hoses. If this isn't the problem suspect faulty opti. Let me know whaaaats up>>>>>........ rmc
Old 05-14-2006, 02:26 AM
TECH Addict

Hey stroked95z, you might want to go back up this thread and see the attached pic - maybe you have some ideas on what the broken parts are and maybe you'll be up to date on what's already gone on here...

Welcome to the forum!

Jim
Old 05-14-2006, 06:37 AM
Teching In

Okay didn't read all the threads...My bad.This opens a whole new can of worms!!The one piece does look an awful lot like an ear of the cam thrust plate and the other may be a tooth of one of the timing gears.You deffenatly need to get that timing cover off and see whats up.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:34 AM
Launching!

alright guys thanks alot for insight, ive changed fuel filter and timing set to answer those questions and ITS FIXXXEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!, they had sold me a crappy opti, but its fixed except for one thing, after taking my headers off my y-pipe and back on a few times there is like an o-ring there that has gotten really hard and crusty and parts of it have fallen off and this has given me an exhaust leak(you can hear it its kinda high pitched) and i believe that this is why it still flutters alittle ONLY IS lower rpms and IT STAYS OVER 1500rpm at idle, is this b/c o2 sensors getting false readings?
Old 05-14-2006, 11:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 69ZZ
Have you checked the fuel filter? Sounds like its starving for fuel.....

you never know.......the smallest things causes the biggest problems. sometimes.........
FOR THE WIN!!!

You never changed your fuel filter? Damn dude thats a change every 15k-20k mile part, its like your air filter. Fuel filters seem to be one of the most overlooked parts when people are doing tune ups, I very rarely ever hear someone talk about them.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:39 PM
Launching!

i did but i was wandering bout my o2 sensor question, ANYONE???
Old 05-14-2006, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

Does it do it before it warms up? I don't think it uses o2s before the car warms up(I think it uses them in closed loop which is after it warms up).
Old 05-14-2006, 03:14 PM
Launching!

glad to hear your making progress.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:40 PM
Launching!

it does it all the time????? causes flutter to under acceleration???
Old 05-14-2006, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

I honestly think you need to go over the basics with a fine tooth comb, check all the wires, gaps on the plugs, clean the injectors, get a new air filter(or clean it) I mean you overlooked a fuel filter, who knows what else you forgot. And just fix the exhaust leak instead of asking us if its causing your problem, it needs to be fixed anyways, any kind of leak is bad.

EDIT: I dunno why I just thought of this but, I know you said the opti is good, but I remember going through a puddle in my friends car and it felt like a flutter until it dried out alittle.

Last edited by JimboManJones; 05-14-2006 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

I agree with Jimbo, and you still have to find out why those parts broke and what that area looks like now. Maybe you'll get lucky and find it was all fixed before you got the car, but maybe not... I'd want to know.

Anyways, glad to see you're making some progress.

Jim
Old 05-14-2006, 10:17 PM
Launching!

ok i dunno wher yall got the idea i overlooked a fuel filter??? i did that a while back, and today i fixed the exhaust leak, it helped alittle but now after this new opti install it did start like i said but i now have an SES light where as before i didnt??? it really seems like o2's though, surging idle b.w 800-900 rpms, kinda soratic shudder at idle and stopped, flutter when i gun it or accelerate hard from lower rpms, better in higher RPMS but still not great, still some hesitation up in higher rpms??? sound lioke o2's???
Old 05-14-2006, 10:46 PM
Launching!

ok i dunno wher yall got the idea i overlooked a fuel filter??? i did that a while back, and today i fixed the exhaust leak, it helped alittle but now after this new opti install it did start like i said but i now have an SES light where as before i didnt??? it really seems like o2's though, surging idle b.w 800-900 rpms, kinda soratic shudder at idle and stopped, flutter when i gun it or accelerate hard from lower rpms, better in higher RPMS but still not great, still some hesitation up in higher rpms??? sound lioke o2's???
Old 05-14-2006, 10:49 PM
Staging Lane

Have you ever had this thing tuned ? or maybe had a Tech 2 hooked up to it ?