LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Free Mods 4 LT1 What are they?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 08:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Removal of the front sway bar..Not that much weight reduction,LOL, but helps aid in traction and weight transfer. 15 minutes and no costs. Basically, weight removal is the only free mod besides TB bypass. AIR pump removal,(again just weight) no gain in hp. EGR block-off, not really "free" though because of the cost of block-off plates.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Twizted
how affective is the TB bypass?
I'm pretty sure they dynoed it at like 6-10 hp. Not bad for a free mod But its really like your not losing that 10 hp once the car warms up. Since the coolant is cool when you first start your car you don't have any hp loss. But once it does warm up(doesn't take long) then you'll get lots of heat soak, which you'll eliminate by doing the TBB.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by the_merv
If something gets through the Air Filter, then it is getting through the screen infront of the MAF Sensor.
yes. The MAF screen is not a secondary filter. If something gets past your air filter then you have a problem. It can either tear through the screen or at least block it which isn't good.

Originally Posted by the_merv
That Screen is barely anything, except for air flow reduction.
no, it's not there to reduce flow. yes anything in the way like that will reduce flow, but that's not it's function and it doens't matter anyway. It will still outflow your throttle body even with the screen in. The MAF meters the amount of air coming into the engine. To get an accurate measurement the airflow must be "laminar" which just means straight and even across the measured area. The MAF elements take up a tiny portion of that area so for the MAF to make an estimate about the amount of air actually coming in the airflow must be predictable. The screen forces the air through small passages which is how it straightens the air, to a point at least. Be removing the screen you are allowing completely turbulant (random and unpredictable) air to pass the area where the MAF elements are. This means that the MAF could be reading a higher or lower amount of air than is actually coming in. That is where people claim the gain. The car gets leaned out a little bit if the MAF doesn't think the correct amount of air is coming in and you pick up a few ponies. This gain is not a sure thing and not even constant. One second it could lean it out some and the next second it could do the exact opposite.

anyway, the point is that the MAF is a very important part of the car and to those that don't understand how it works, why mess with it??
Old 05-08-2006, 12:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RoAdRaGe912
yes. The MAF screen is not a secondary filter. If something gets past your air filter then you have a problem. It can either tear through the screen or at least block it which isn't good.
I dont know why.. but when i took my stock filter out I noticed a bunch of crap on the screen. Which I know decreases performance... I have the WS6 Ram air as well btw. I just bought the K&N and it came with gaskets for the side of the air box that I havent installed yet.. but will now becuase I found rather large pieces of .. dry grass or somthin??....

Quick Reply: Free Mods 4 LT1 What are they?