LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

catch can

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by horsekilla 95TA
Here are the pics of my setup. I know it is dirty LMAO....
ok i have exactly the set up you do, but I can not find the lines on the driver side. I put the breather filter on the passenger side and replaced the original hose, it was crumbling in my hand so I figured that could only help it if i got a brand spanking new hose. what performance loss would I get if the hose wasnt sealed right?

and again where are the hook-ups for the can. I looked all over and didnt find anything on the drivers side. unless you are just doing it to the pass. side.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
Something you might wanna consider, which is exactly the reason why I did this on mine, is to do a battery relocation. The previous owner of my car didn't understand alot about battery maintenance judging by how the car looked when I first bought it, (didn't understand alot of anything judging by the # of fuckups I've fixed since I've had it), and subsequently there was battery acid/corrosion all over the inner fenderwell and on top of the battery tray. Paint was eaten away all around that area and it was rusted. Looked like ****. So I relocated my battery to the trunk and took out the stock battery tray/overflow tank in favor of swapping in a stainless overflow tank. The cubbyhole in the framerail that the stock overflow tank resided in was almost the perfect size. Thing is though, with the battery out of the way there is enough space freed up that you could mount two catch cans in that spot if you wanted to: one for the radiator, (if you wanted it), and one for the oil.

Probably a more complicated solution than you wanted to hear but what about these cars isn't complicated?

yea i was thinking of doing it too. but how hard is it to do? just run a line to the back and have the battery set up there? If I do that I should prolly re-run the lines to my amps as well huh? so the power doesnt go to the front just to have to come all the way back again.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

i thought ls1 are the ones that burn oil... we just leak it
Old 05-18-2006, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by imnotplutonium
ok i have exactly the set up you do, but I can not find the lines on the driver side. I put the breather filter on the passenger side and replaced the original hose, it was crumbling in my hand so I figured that could only help it if i got a brand spanking new hose. what performance loss would I get if the hose wasnt sealed right?

and again where are the hook-ups for the can. I looked all over and didnt find anything on the drivers side. unless you are just doing it to the pass. side.
The hose coming from the right side of my catch can is going to my PCV valve in the side of the intake manifold and the hose coming from the left hand side is going to a nipple on the intake manifold located under the throttle body. This line is ran to the exact locations that the factory PCV line went to. I had more pics but didn't have time to get them loaded up the passenger side of mine is ran exactly like the factory setup but it just has a duetsh filter in the valve cover connected to the factory vaccume line going into the passenger side of the Throttle body.

My setup is ran exactly like the factory PCV setup but it just has the catch can on the drivers side and a filter on the passenger side. It works very well for me. I can post more pics on Saturday night when I get back to my home computer.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blkchevyz
i thought ls1 are the ones that burn oil... we just leak it

I thought that too until i tried the catch can...
Old 05-18-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Resident

The hose coming from the right side of my catch can is going to my PCV valve in the side of the intake manifold and the hose coming from the left hand side is going to a nipple on the intake manifold located under the throttle body. This line is ran to the exact locations that the factory PCV line went to. I had more pics but didn't have time to get them loaded up the passenger side of mine is ran exactly like the factory setup but it just has a duetsh filter in the valve cover connected to the factory vaccume line going into the passenger side of the Throttle body.

My setup is ran exactly like the factory PCV setup but it just has the catch can on the drivers side and a filter on the passenger side. It works very well for me. I can post more pics on Saturday night when I get back to my home computer.
ok so i'm doing it right I am just having a hard time finding the pcv system on the driver's side
Old 05-19-2006, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

http://shbox.com/1/pcv.jpg

That is the PCV valve and it is about half way down the drivers side of the intake manifold.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

You get more oil in the tract from the passenger side
Old 05-20-2006, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

Maybe later I will try one on that side but the drivers side seems to have alot in it also. I have stopped somewhere between a 1/2 - 3/4 of a quart on the drivers side so far in about 10,000 miles with my setup. How is yours setup on the passenger side?
Old 05-25-2006, 05:26 PM
Launching!

Could you elaborate? You have a filter on the passenger side? Is that a breather? I was going to trash my breather and just put a catch can in line between the right side valve cover and the throttle body. Would a catch can on both sides be better?
Old 05-26-2006, 12:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The oil I am sucking in is directly through the PCV system. almost none from the pass Valve cover..

look here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=8066562179

they come in a strange CF look a like pattern but they work well
Old 05-26-2006, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
The oil I am sucking in is directly through the PCV system. almost none from the pass Valve cover..

look here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=8066562179

they come in a strange CF look a like pattern but they work well
Wow That think is nice!!!
Old 05-26-2006, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bone324
Could you elaborate? You have a filter on the passenger side? Is that a breather? I was going to trash my breather and just put a catch can in line between the right side valve cover and the throttle body. Would a catch can on both sides be better?
I am running a BF412 Deutsh filter inline on the passenger side valve cover you can see it in the pic I have attached. If you can't tell by that pic let me know I will host it somewhere else where I can get a larger pic.

The driver's side is ran like in the earlier pic that I posted in this thread with a catch can inline. If you need that pic again let me know.
Attached Thumbnails catch can-img_0432.jpg  
Old 05-27-2006, 02:24 AM
Launching!

Yeah, can't see it, but this is a good pic and explanation:
http://collop.cz28.com/custom2.html

If I run a setup like yours should I keep the breather or plug it? I'm getting oil dripping out onto my plug wires, valve cover, etc. I was under the impression that I should vent the crankcase with the additional pressure added by the blower, is that right?

Quick Reply: catch can