LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

MSD cap and rotor kit..DEAD!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So mine was still "good" at 150K when I removed it. original cap and rotor. All it needs is a new cap and rotor and it's good to go. Kinda hard to compare cars when we all beat on them differently
Old 06-01-2006, 03:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by streetwarrior96
Man my orgional opti lasted 80,000 miles 96-05 9 years of use
mine went 117K

Hope this was a freak issue, 1200 miles isn't gonna cut it
Old 06-01-2006, 07:24 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

I’ve been running my car about 6 - 7 weeks now. I have the MSD cap, rotor and coil on a stock (new) distributer. It’s been running well right up to the rev limiter. Do I beat on the car? With about 1,500 miles on the BFGDR’s, they’re bald.

I've recently discovered that I have an MSD 6 box on a shelf from years ago (was for the Monte) and with the appropriate MSD cable, it’ll work with the stock system.

If I upgrade to the MSD box, will I blow holes through my rotor? Holes or not, will there be a performance gain?
Old 06-01-2006, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

Ellis, do you think perhaps that's the reason the stock rotor never used a screw there like the MSD unit. It was suggested on another board that MSD might rethink what that screw is made out of. Perhaps Nylon....
Old 06-01-2006, 10:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by buffman
Ellis, do you think perhaps that's the reason the stock rotor never used a screw there like the MSD unit. It was suggested on another board that MSD might rethink what that screw is made out of. Perhaps Nylon....

I must have missed that? You got a link? Not sure what they will do. I just dug out the box and it has a 12/06/05 date on it as does the other kit we bought(we got two at the same time).

For all those who had had good luck with there stock Opti as has been said ten billion time...we are happy for you My car has 58255 miles on it and four opti's Actually the optic section is still good on all the ones I took off my car. but not a singal cap and rotor made it out alive.

BTW it is not like this is a singal event for just my car. Here at Speed Secrets we still replace them for customers on a regular basis

I know I know it is just us here in washington state

I hope all of you have continued good luck!

then again this thread was not for you to gloat in
Old 06-01-2006, 10:39 PM
11 Second Club

Your just unlucky....
I guess I'm there too..on how many opti-craps have I been through....

My original (NO MSD6 at the time) lasted 50k miles....Of course, I never tried to rev it past the 5800 rpm limiter back then.....Now when they go, it usually starts above 6k then sputters..then moves down the rpm scale till your screwed just trying to drive it......."MSD's" due play havic with the ozone and carbon tracking on them....
Old 06-02-2006, 12:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
I must have missed that? You got a link? Not sure what they will do. I just dug out the box and it has a 12/06/05 date on it as does the other kit we bought(we got two at the same time).

For all those who had had good luck with there stock Opti as has been said ten billion time...we are happy for you My car has 58255 miles on it and four opti's Actually the optic section is still good on all the ones I took off my car. but not a singal cap and rotor made it out alive.

BTW it is not like this is a singal event for just my car. Here at Speed Secrets we still replace them for customers on a regular basis

I know I know it is just us here in washington state

I hope all of you have continued good luck!

then again this thread was not for you to gloat in
I think the revision was more of a suggestion to the MSD rep who lurks the impalassforum.com rather than a confirmed revision
Old 06-02-2006, 01:02 AM
10 Second Club

If you could I would still like to read the threads

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2006, 08:12 PM
10 Second Club

Default Update!

MSD has found the problem! It seems to be issolated to the rotor(and only my rotor) and the way it Cured. They have taken steps to make sure no further problems come to light and this does not happen again.

I will be the first to say I was pretty damn pissed when the failure happened. MSD has gone out of there way to make sure they have taken care of this and ANY future problems.

I have used many MSD products in the past and bought many new MSD parts (FULL DIS-4 Plus system) to replace what I was removing this time.

Besides being broke down and being pushed on a trailer by the people at the FORD dealer and missing three races now things went very well and MSD did every thing they could to make the event painless as possible.

We are going to install the Same system I took off the car on the second Shop car just to make sure
Old 06-13-2006, 09:17 PM
12 Second Club

Good to hear MSD stood behind their product.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:18 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by daniel6718
wtf...it was arcing out of the rotor already? man i got a brand new gm opti its been my savier i went throught 9 o really optis...kept braking the little tabs on the rotoe and they would break up at 6k plus
no problems anymore pulling it to 7k a few times
Sounds like the same crap we have been going through on a '94 Corvette that we built a 383 and added an ATI ProCharger D-1SC to.

Quick Reply: MSD cap and rotor kit..DEAD!